Lead recovery from CRTs lead glass

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still digging. As I said, the number of CRT carcasses I have in my garage would cost me hundreds of dollars which I don't have to dispose of. So, I found this --

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09593330.2014.921731?scroll=top&needAccess=true

and am wondering if it could be the solution I am looking for. Building a furnace that will get to the required temperature is pretty easy, but I can't seem to find anything that talks about the ratio of glass powder to calcium chloride, and that bit about pressure while heating is something I would need input on because I'm not sure how to incorporate that into the furnace. Thoughts?

Did you check with the manufacturers to see if they have an EOL program? Stop taking them in, make the owners take them in to a recycling center, or charge them to take CRT's.

Take them to a recycling center, pay if you have to to get rid of them and move on. No money in messing around trying to do something you have little idea how to do, for an item in which supplies are dwindling to extinction. I see very few now over the course of a year any more and those I tell the people to take it to the recycling center. I won't even touch them any longer.

chlaurite said:
Another promising reaction I can't seem to find much more than this quote about, "Glasses containing lead oxide as an ingredient are subject to reduction when exposed to flames of a carbonaceous nature. The carbon partially reduces the lead oxide to its metallic state, forming a black deposit.". I would presume that happens as purely a surface effect, though, so probably not all that useful as a practical recovery technique
you absolutely could do this carbon flame idea. However, there’s a paper online explaining molten glass electrolysis of the oxide to recover the lead that way. Also mixing the lead oxide glass with carbon powder before melting should help enormously. Just bear in mind that as you said, it’s something only doable on a large scale. Just because you could extract the lead, doesn’t mean that it’s profitable let alone safe to do on that scale. It might seem extremely odd, but reactions with molten materials tend to be better behaved on larger scales as you have more thermal mass to allow the reactions to be Driven forward. Though definitely not worth the whole poisoning bit. Maybe it’s possible to do with an induction furnace or arc reaction which the former is quite scaleable, although it can only heat it up to the melting point of the mixture so it might not get hot enough. Anyway, my opinion is just let the pros deal with it. Lead is extremely cheap and just not worth poisoning yourself over a few grams. You’d recover more lead over time from solder really as the yield is quantitative even on smaller scale assuming you don’t get a lot of CRT’s each containing over 9lbs each. Take it to public works as sometimes you can drop off stuff for free depending on location.

Smack said:
Did you check with the manufacturers to see if they have an EOL program? Stop taking them in, make the owners take them in to a recycling center, or charge them to take CRT's.

Take them to a recycling center, pay if you have to to get rid of them and move on. No money in messing around trying to do something you have little idea how to do, for an item in which supplies are dwindling to extinction. I see very few now over the course of a year any more and those I tell the people to take it to the recycling center. I won't even touch them any longer.
i see them a lot still. But certainly not as many as before, most probably are just stuck at landfill unfortunately.

dhsjgordon said:
Still digging. As I said, the number of CRT carcasses I have in my garage would cost me hundreds of dollars which I don't have to dispose of. So, I found this --

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09593330.2014.921731?scroll=top&needAccess=true

and am wondering if it could be the solution I am looking for. Building a furnace that will get to the required temperature is pretty easy, but I can't seem to find anything that talks about the ratio of glass powder to calcium chloride, and that bit about pressure while heating is something I would need input on because I'm not sure how to incorporate that into the furnace. Thoughts?
sounds like you’ll need a steel and copper retort incorporating into the setup. Sealing the joints and being able to reload with more material that’ll be at 1000C is difficult at best so ventilation is extremely important. It seems like this is the reaction.
CaCl2+PbO———->PbCl2+CaO with the driving factor being the volatilization of the lead chloride. A word of warning, that calcium oxide will raise the melting point of that glass a bit to make soda-lime glass instead of soda-lead so make sure to keep it well above 900C the entire time to prevent a viscous foam from forming. The barium should also boil off as well and any phosphor as well. Cleaning that retort will be a huge pain so a large but disposable setup could be an option which has the benefit of better seals

dhsjgordon,

You could probably kill yourself real quick with this or, at least, destroy your health to the point where you would suffer for a few years before you die. Maybe you can even kill a few neighbors and your dog. All fumes are scary, but lead fumes are really scary. You would most assuredly spend much more money setting up for processing and containing the lead fumes than you would if you simply got rid of this garbage legally. Also note that that paper's purpose is to examine the efficiency (the percentage of lead removed) of that system. To me, this would imply that the system is maybe not 100% efficient. If not, I would think it might still be costly to junk it, even if the system worked..

The disposal of this glass has been a problem for about 70 years. I don't think anyone has ever come up with an ideal solution, although, this company looks interesting.
http://www.nulifeglass.com/

Some other processes that might be safer, but still probably costly to set up. I didn't take the time to study them
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10962247.2014.976721

Attachments

• document(2).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • CN103882232B.pdf
    242.6 KB · Views: 9
Back