Lesson to be learned

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jeneje said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
Where you hub of your lowest fitting is you can drill a hole and tap it and screw a plastic valve to drain it. Make sure it is in a hub so the hub and the pipe together will give you extra threads to screw into.

The fitting should be like a drain cock for an air compressor or bigger.

Ken

BTW thanks Barren for all your help today.

If you can get one in plastic that is 1/4" or 3/8" it would work fine. You might need to check for debris clogging the drain when you get ready to use it.

jeneje,

You should use a different heat source. Those coil type hotplates get too hot. They achieve red heat. I started out with a single burner and now have a double burner solid metal top hot plate. After hundreds and hundreds of reactions I have yet to even crack a vessel. This is even working many times in freezing temperatures. I'm surpirsed no one mentioned the old catch vessel. Always put your reaction vessel in a catch vessel like a casserole dish (that can take high heat of course). Edit: I see GSP mentioned it. This way if there is another catastrophic failure you will have everything in a nice neat container. And I'm sure you've learned from this experience to work somewhere... less porous.

Refine on!

goldenchild said:
jeneje,

You should use a different heat source. Those coil type hotplates get too hot. They achieve red heat. I started out with a single burner and now have a double burner solid metal top hot plate. After hundreds and hundreds of reactions I have yet to even crack a vessel. This is even working many times in freezing temperatures. I'm surpirsed no one mentioned the old catch vessel. Always put your reaction vessel in a catch vessel like a casserole dish (that can take high heat of course). Edit: I see GSP mentioned it. This way if there is another catastrophic failure you will have everything in a nice neat container. And I'm sure you've learned from this experience to work somewhere... less porous.

Refine on!

Yes goldenchild I have and I have ordered some beakers that can take high heat if needed and for sure i will use a catch vessel under my solution for now on.

Thanks
Ken

jeneje said:
goldenchild said:
jeneje,

Refine on!

Yes goldenchild I have and I have ordered some beakers that can take high heat if needed and for sure i will use a catch vessel under my solution for now on.

Thanks
Ken

Even if you use beakers with that hot plate you rune the risk of the same accident happening because it will not heat the glassware evenly. You really need o get you a solid surface hot plate.

Back