• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for vintage CPUs for my collection (buy / trade)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We invented E-Bay here. We know how to sell collectable chips. Straight across the board trades will not get any support around here. Shipping is the killer. Why would I trade my 20 dollars worth of gold for your 20 dollars of gold plus overseas shipping shipping? Now I'm in the red just to advance your collection? Like I told you in the PM, the shipping is the final killer.

Okay guys, because the lack of volunteers from Europe, I offer a new deal!
I will give 3 times in gold value for a rare chip, that I don't already have.

Have you checked my list/site? I can take CPU:s, memory sticks or other precious metal scrap in return as payment. The exact rate depends on which CPU you are interested in.

Göran

Patry0t said:
even 3 for 1 and nothing? :( quote]

Hey Patry0t,

I would offer you my entire collection, if only I had one! :D I think that perhaps the lack of response from fellow members is because most of us are not collectors, we are refiners and sellers (who don't have anything to sell/trade). Not to mention that what most are likely to have would not be considered collectable.
Wish I could be of more help.

Dennis

And unfortunately (or fortunately) most of the regulars on this site are aware of the possible collector value of ceramic ICs, so when we get one that may have some value, it goes on Ebay. We end up getting $40 for a CPU with $3 of Gold. If we went through the whole swapping process, we would end up with $9 in Gold instead of $3 in Gold, but would have to deal with all the shipping pain too, just not worth it.

g_axelsson said:
Have you checked my list/site? I can take CPU:s, memory sticks or other precious metal scrap in return as payment. The exact rate depends on which CPU you are interested in.

Göran

Not yet. I've sent you a private message, but its in "outbox", not in the "sent messages". I have other messages queued in outbox also.. I don't know why aren't they sent.

Let's discuss the rest in private, and if you are an admin, I would like to ask you to delete this topic!

Posts and/or Topics don't as a rule, get deleted on this forum.

I would also like to point out that when a person commits to collecting, be it for hobby or business, the norm is that they enter into it knowing they will be buying items to add to their collection. Trading and getting your collection items for free is not the norm. With a thread like this, you might miss that one item you're serious about, held by someone that would only sell it. Don't cut yourself short.

Patry0t said:
Not yet. I've sent you a private message, but its in "outbox", not in the "sent messages". I have other messages queued in outbox also.. I don't know why aren't they sent.
When you send a PM, it will be in your outbox until the recipient opens it. Then it will move to the "sent" box.

Dave

There's nothing wrong with asking for a straight trade but then the only ones that would possibly think about doing it would be fellow collectors.

With a trade of two for one or even better, the probability to find someone willing to trade rises. But as usual you need to sweeten the deal enough to get people willing to trade. Offering cash for rare CPU:s is one way to make the deal more tempting as that would make it easier for sellers.

You want to make it as easy as possible for anyone you want to trade with. Why not sell all your excess CPU:s and then use the money for buying just the ones you want. Money was invented just to make trading easier.

I have a paypal account that I'm using for just this purpose. I'm selling rare CPU:s on ebay and other places, the money is mostly used for other hobbies, as coin collection, electronic components or spares for my vintage computers. That way I can afford and motivate to pay $10 for a 50 year old switch I need for the front panel of my computer.

As Dave wrote, I've been away on a job for a couple of days so I haven't read any messages. Now that I have read it, it should now be found in your "sent" folder.

And just as he told you, this thread will remain. It isn't just your posts, it's everyone else that has taken the time to reply to your post and others in this thread. I will also remain as a resource for anyone else thinking about trading CPU:s to read the discussion and arguments that we all have written here.

And just as a friendly warning, going back and seriously altering or deleting just your posts will get you banned. It's okay to add a note or a correction to an old post, but anything that affects the discussion in a major way is a reason for banning.
For example removing content that people already have answered to or switching position in a discussion.
I don't thing you would be so foolish to do that, but I'm writing it for all who just reads this now or in the future.

If you still want to trade CPU:s one for one I recommend that you check the forum on http://www.cpu-world.com/
There you might find someone starting to collect CPU:s willing to trade.
They used to have a service with depositing CPU:s at one place and trading became just moving CPU:s from one box to another by the guy running it. Whenever you wanted your CPU:s you only paid shipping for one package and many sellers offered free postage to send it there. Don't know if they still do it.

I still have no idea what you are looking for. Are you collecting CPU:s based on s-spec? Major version? Speed differences? Different print? Everyone is collecting in their own way.
I spent over a week to sort through my 3000+ CPU:s and catalogue them. I've spent even more time cleaning, looking up prices, making pictures, sending out invoices and shipping packages. In the end I think it was worth it even if I didn't get a lot per CPU, but it kept me afloat when I had a hard time finding work, and now it gives me a bit of play money. :D

Göran

In the pictures I see only Socket processors. Are you interested in Slot processors?
I just received these types:

IMG_20180511_235655.jpg

IMG_20180511_235718.jpg IMG_20180511_235728.jpg

IMG_20180511_235742.jpg IMG_20180511_235754.jpg

I still don't know the PGM content, so if you're interested, PM me.

Regards, Miro.

For any collector, when you remove the black plastic shroud that the
slot one processors come in YOU REMOVE THE VALUE to the collector.

So, before you break off the plastic like you shuck an oyster, check the
collector value. Some of them are rare and some are very common.
For example, here are some S1's that I offered for sale three years ago:

SLOT 1 Celeron:
(1) SL2WN 333 Costa Rica $2.00

SLOT 1 Pentium II:
(1) SL2HE 266 Malaysia $3.00
(1) SL2HE 266 Philippines $3.00
(1) SL2QC 300 Malaysia $5.00
(1) SL2S6 350 Ireland $3.00
(1) SL2S6 350 Malaysia $3.00
(1) SL2TV 350 Ireland $8.00
(1) SL2U6 400 Malaysia $2.00
(1) SL2U7 450 Ireland $2.00
(2) SL2U7 450 Malaysia $2.00
(1) SL2W8 300 Costa Rica $3.00
(2) SL358 450 Costa Rica $2.00
(1) SL358 450 Philippines $2.00

SLOT 1 Pentium III:
(1) SL35D 450 Costa Rica $2.00
(3) SL35E 500 Costa Rica $2.00
(2) SL35E 500 Philippines $2.00
(2) SL3F7 550 Malaysia $3.00
(1) SL3F7 550 Philippines $3.00
(1) SL3FJ 550 Philippines $2.00
(1) SL3XL 667 Malaysia $3.00
(2) SL3XN 733 Costa Rica $5.00
(2) SL3XQ 800 Costa Rica $7.00
(1) SL3XR 800 Malaysia $8.00
(1) SL454 700 Malaysia $4.00
(1) SL47N 866 Malaysia with Intel HS and fan $40.00
(2) SL4C2 733 Costa Rica $7.00 ea
(1) SL4C4 667 Costa Rica $40.00
(1) SL4KL 1000 Costa Rica $40.00

Selling to collectors is what I like to do but there is a lot of work involved in it.
I do it to raise money and support my non-profit AND I like the thought of
preserving some of the history of early computing. 8)

Today I made my first international business with someone in Ukrain. The postage to any surrounding country is very cheap, so I'm still looking for people from Romania, Ukrain, Serbia, Bulgaria, etc to make trades!

Back