Low Cost / No cost DIY Precious Metal Tester

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcel

Supporting Member
Occasionally, you may come across shiny metal scrap that looks valuable, but it can be difficult to determine its worth. Testing it with acids may not be possible or desirable in your home or shop. Is there a simpler way to identify precious metals? Absolutely! In the following steps, I will show you how to test metals using minimal equipment and without the use of harsh acids. This method is safe to use in any setting.

These instructions will help you build a DIY device that distinguishes between Precious Metals and Base Metals using the Redox Series of metals principle, commonly used in refining and acid experiments. This effect has been long-known, discovered by Galvani and Volta 250 years ago while conducting research that led to the invention of the modern battery. As an electrical engineer, I applied Galvani's principle to create this device.
Save to use even when children are around. Try it out for yourself!
Here is how it goes:
Equipment needed:

DIY Metaltester-1.png

Step 1: Prepare a glass or spraybottle with clean distilled water.

Step 2: Take a small flat sheet of copper, preferably pure 999 Copper. Clean it with alcohol to remove any grease or glue, then rinse with distilled water. Avoid using aggressive chemicals like acid or alkaline cleaners.

Step 3: Use a clean white cotton cloth, or a clean tissue or a white piece of paper. A piece of newspaper would also do the job but is not ideal. Avoid any cloth with grease, metal chips, or dust. Place the cloth on the Copper sheet or object, leaving a small area or corner uncovered.

Step 5: Wet the cloth with the prepared solution. Do not wet the uncovered area. The cloth should be wet but not swimming in water. Just so that it is wet and water is not dripping from the cloth, or at least not much.

DIY Metaltester-2.png

Step 6: Put another piece of Copper on top of the cloth, preferably known pure Copper. It can be Copper-plated as well, so most cent coins are plated in more or less pure Copper. For our purpose, they will do the job. It would be great if you have any known pure metal samples readily available for testing the test setup.

Step 7: Use a multimeter and set the voltage type to "DC." Set the range of the multimeter to 2V if possible or below, down to 1V or 1000mV. Connect the - probe (usually black, often labeled "Ground") to the uncovered, dry corner of the copper sheet or Copper object beneath the cloth, and the other probe (usually red) to the Copper object on top of the cloth. Your multimeter, whether digital or analog, should react a little bit for a short moment, then remain at around 0V, let´s say -30 mV to +30 mV. If there is a calibration button on your multimeter, use it to set it to zero.

DIY Metaltester-3.png

Step 8: Take the object that you want to test and put it on top of the (still wet!) cloth. Repeat Step 7 in the same way: the black -probe to the clean dry edge of the Copper underneath and the + or red probe to the object you want to test. You can use scotch tape to attach the probe to the Copper sheet. That way one hand remains free.
If your multimeter reads above 50mV, around 100mV, it indicates a Precious Metal. A negative voltage, such as -100mV, suggests a Base Metal. Below: 999 Gold and molten e-waste from Palladium and Silver loaded MLCC capacitors.

DIY Metaltester-4.png

Note that this method only detects metals on the surface of an object. Gold-plated items may show up as Precious Metals even if the core is cheap Base Metal, while a molten metal with 5% Platinum may be detected as Base Metal. This DIY method is useful for detecting Precious Metals if they are present in a considerable amount or as plating on the surface, but it's not comprehensive for all metal detection questions.

The screenshot shows the XRF analysis of the previously tested unknown material, revealing a mix of Palladium, Silver, Gold, Copper, and other Base Metals.

DIY Metaltester-6.png
To ensure accurate results, keep the cloth damp but not too wet. A dry cloth will not work correctly and may lead to confusing results. Change the cloth after a few tests to avoid contamination to it from Base Metals. Temperature and humidity can affect the results, so perform the test at room temperature for the best outcome. This method is a quick, non-destructive tool suitable for testing jewelry and other items without the need for a scratch or acid test, although results may not always be accurate.

DIY Metaltester-5.png

Here are some additional test results from the setup. Note that your results may vary depending on so many factors that it makes no sense to try to compensate them in such a low-cost solution. It is only important to check for the polarity of the result or how close it is to 0 V. Note that the Precious Metals always have a positive voltage reading whereas the base Metals return a negative voltage.

Perform a calibration run before testing using Copper and a well-known Precious Metal like Fine Gold to ensure probes are in order. Note the results and compare them with known samples when testing an unknown object to determine the metal type. Replace the cloth frequently for conclusive and repeatable results since the setup's chemical composition changes with each test.
Note that the results may vary depending on how the probe contacts the metal, especially for alloys or molten samples. This type of test cannot provide quantitative statements or determine the ratio of metals in the sample.

My Project, the BozzTech MTI00X Metal Tester which I developed is based on this Redox principle. It compensates for these variables, and it offers a more convenient and repeatable assessment by displaying results in a graphical format on a PC screen, using AI technology among other benefits.

MTI00X-Tester-Demo.png

Enjoy and try this at home!

Marcel

Source: Taken from the book: M. A. Buth "Gold from Scrap", 2023 fully revised edition. Available on Amazon.

Attachments

• DIY Metaltester-4.png
    DIY Metaltester-4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Very interesting Marcel!

I'll look forward to trying this out when I can get back down into the basement again and dig out what I need for testing. Thank you for sharing!

Dave

Note that this method only detects metals on the surface of an object. Gold-plated items may show up as Precious Metals even if the core is cheap Base Metal, while a molten metal with 5% Platinum may be detected as Base Metal. This DIY method is useful for detecting Precious Metals if they are present in a considerable amount or as plating on the surface, but it's not comprehensive for all metal detection questions.
Per the bold print - in other words - as a so called nondestructive method (no scratching/filing/acid) this method of testing is completely unreliable - especially if you intend to use it as a method for buying "potential" gold/PM items

In other words this method of testing can & will lie to you - so you still need to do destructive testing (scratching/filing/acid) in order to determine if an item is plated - or not

So - at least in my mind - if you are going to test an item - why not do an actual test that is going to give you a definitive answer to the item you are testing (which will require scratching/filing/acid) in the first place

There are a number of testers on the market that work on this same principle

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3324574951...lid=20006&customid=4581802406898348_377867585
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3523027926...916be924b28b5820c207c&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2850688202...D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675&epid=2254633901
None of them are reliable methods of testing & require further (destructive methods) of testing to determine what you actually have

I actually have two personal stories concerning the total unreliability of this testing method which I don't have time to post right now - but will try to post if I get time

Kurt

While I appreciate the point you made earlier, it is important to note that there are certain situations where a non-destructive testing method, such as the one I described, can still be useful. For example, when testing a surface that appears to be gold or platinum, but is actually a worthless material like chrome.

However, I must acknowledge that there is currently no non-destructive method available that can determine the content or ratio of a piece of metal. There are ongoing developments, such as the 3D XRF being researched at a university in Berlin, but it is not yet available for purchase, and would likely be expensive if it were.

It is also worth noting that the methods I described earlier work on a different principle than the devices you mentioned. If you are interested, I can explain this further at another time. Additionally, most of these devices use acids, which can be harmful to your health and contaminate your jewelry and workspace.

While quick and dirty tests, like the acid scratch test or the multimeter test I mentioned earlier, can be useful for a preliminary assessment, it is important to use them in conjunction with other additive tests to confirm the results. If you require precise and conclusive results, a professional assay is the only option, although it may not be worth the cost for certain items.

In summary, while non-destructive testing methods are not currently available to accurately determine the content of a piece of metal, quick and dirty tests can be a helpful first assessment. However, it is important to use caution and additional tests to confirm the results, and to consider the cost-benefit of a professional assay for more precise results.

Edit: In the case of dental scrap, this and other improvised testing methods typically work well because dental scrap is a homogeneous material that is consistent throughout. This allows for a quick assessment of the material, as palladium is often added to dental alloys to create a white gold color.

Last edited:
Back