Make a vacuum scrubber. Step by Step!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't worry about water waste. It is not much. and water is cheap here (0.1$ per 1000 liter)

Waste water and water waste are 2 different things. When you use a lot of water because your faucet leaks it may cost you extra to pay for your water use. In refining we refer to waste water as water we have used in a process which is now contaminated and we have to eliminate the contamination before we get rid of the water. The more rinse water you use in refining, the more waste you have to treat. That is why I said it was good that you have concerns about generating waste. Apparently I got that wrong!

saadat68 said:
Maybe can collect 500 Kg mix batteries in year
How much water do you consume per 1 Kg batteries for rinsing ?

And how many from those 500kg of mixed batteries do you think will be silver oxide batteries?

patnor1011 said:
saadat68 said:
Maybe can collect 500 Kg mix batteries in year
How much water do you consume per 1 Kg batteries for rinsing ?

And how many from those 500kg of mixed batteries do you think will be silver oxide batteries?
60 percent (Tested it )
Do you recycle silver oxide batteries?
If yes, How much silver do you get from 1 Kg silver oxide batteries ? (Just silver oxides)

There is two articles at the end of the references at http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Silver_oxide_batteries with some compositions of batteries.

The composition will vary depending on the size, date of manufacturing, brand... and so on. Keep track of the numbers when you refine and you can build up a good data set to do statistics on. The more data you have the better prognosis you can make.

Let us know how it goes. :)

By the way, there are fake silver oxide batteries out there.

Göran

I couldn't make a scrubber yet. I can't find suitable PVC connections
What do you think about this design? this can solve many of my problems. each column is like U and will make with PVC pipes.
Can I make my scrubber like this ?!

78k_689fb.jpg

I may be confused what that is or its purpose, if it is suppose to be a venturi for draft it would not work.
You need a venturi action, that design does not create a venturi.

https://www.google.com/search?q=venturi&espv=2&biw=954&bih=871&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8sfi4hNzQAhUqxVQKHdCkCzYQ_AUIBygC

If it is suppose to be a scrubber Column I cannot see it working.

Can you explain how you believe it will work?

butcher said:
I may be confused what that is or its purpose, if it is suppose to be a venturi for draft it would not work.
You need a venturi action, that design does not create a venturi.

https://www.google.com/search?q=venturi&espv=2&biw=954&bih=871&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8sfi4hNzQAhUqxVQKHdCkCzYQ_AUIBygC

If it is suppose to be a scrubber Column I cannot see it working.

Can you explain how you believe it will work?
Hi
As I said I want to make my columns like U. It is a vacuum scrubber with 3 column like U. Why you say it doesn't work? :oops:
hhhi_98653.jpg

In the previous drawing it looked like you were to draw the gas around the U-bend with it filled with water. Every bend is needing around 0.1 kg/cm2 in under pressure, in other words for three bends you need to pump down to (1.0-0.3) = 0.7 kg/cm2 vacuum just to get the air around the bend.

You can't suck air down through water, the only way to get it around the bend is to suck up enough water in the outlet so the water level on the inlet sinks down to be level with the U-bend and air starts to bubble up on the outlet side.

What is the limit of vacuum attainable with your vacuum pump and what is the flow rate at 0.7 kg/cm2 vacuum (0.3 kg/cm under pressure)?

Göran

g_axelsson said:
In the previous drawing it looked like you were to draw the gas around the U-bend with it filled with water. Every bend is needing around 0.1 kg/cm2 in under pressure, in other words for three bends you need to pump down to (1.0-0.3) = 0.7 kg/cm2 vacuum just to get the air around the bend.

You can't suck air down through water, the only way to get it around the bend is to suck up enough water in the outlet so the water level on the inlet sinks down to be level with the U-bend and air starts to bubble up on the outlet side.

What is the limit of vacuum attainable with your vacuum pump and what is the flow rate at 0.7 kg/cm2 vacuum (0.3 kg/cm under pressure)?

Göran

Thanks All
I thought that design is better( need fewer connections and longer columns) and didn't know the pump can not suck air in this way
OK, I back to conventional design. just use 3 pipe as 3 columns :
cuth_1122.jpg

If you're going to scrub fumes from an open air hood you need a tower designed scrubber where the naoh solution trickles over your packings and draws air over the packings. If you're using a sealed reactor system you can draw the fumes through a flooded column scrubber like you are proposing. If this is for the batteries only and you are using nitric only you can use a 15 gallon stainless drum with a removable top for your reactor and use a flooded column system under vacuum with no problem.

Palladium said:
If you're going to scrub fumes from an open air hood you need a tower designed scrubber where the naoh solution trickles over your packings and draws air over the packings. If you're using a sealed reactor system you can draw the fumes through a flooded column scrubber like you are proposing. If this is for the batteries only and you are using nitric only you can use a 15 gallon stainless drum with a removable top for your reactor and use a flooded column system under vacuum with no problem.
Thanks
I want to use vacuum scrubber for batteries but I will add PC scraps to my business after 2 or 3 month

I want to use some pipes for connecting columns ( instead of hose )
For columns I use 3 pipes with 90 mm diameter and for connect them together I want to use pipe with 40 mm diameter. I solve many of my problem this way.
Is it OK? 40 mm diameter isn't high for example for vacuum pump or ...? :?:

e80n_65656h.jpg

Make one, fill one with water and use your vacuum pump. If you hear it bubble and check the suction if it doesn't have that much resistance then you are good to go. Don't forget the scrubbing media (bioballs, scrap pvc, etc)

And you will us this scrubber for a closed reaction vessel correct? Like 4metal's design with a filtering flask? If so yes, this will work.
If you are planning to use this system for the entire fume hood then it will not work.

Its your drawing that confused the members.

Edit to add:
It seems that the U design is okay to me. I'm not sure what the other members are thinking why won't it work. As long as the liquid level is correct it should work.

Remember that retention time is important for the scrubber to work. It should pass slowly thru those columns in order for it to treat the fumes. A scrubbing media will help but if your vacuum pressure is too high then it will not work. If your vacuum pressure is too low then your reaction vessel will leak.

This is why I recommend you making a bleeder valve so you can adjust the flow. Its very easy to make.
Its just Tee fitting connected to the vacuum pump w/ 1 gate valve for flow adjustment and 1 inlet valve for the scrubber system.

One more reason for you to use a bleeder valve is because the vacuum pressure will need to go into an equilibrium after you turn off the pump. Tendency is it will push out once you turn off the pump.

OK
Understood
Thanks
My biggest problem is limitation in PVC connections. I can not find some of them so I change my design again and again

Use the PVC pipe and caps to make the columns. Then tap each cap and thread it for a barb with threads. Put a barb in the top and bottom of the columns and connect the columns with flexible PVC tubing.

Back