melting scrap gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am a newbie and have some questions. I have 142 grams of 14K gold scrap jewelry. What would it cost to refine it into a 24K solid piece? What would I have left in 24K? Would that increase the value enough to recover the refining costs? This is a great forum with lots of knowledge.

Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

14Kt gold is 14/24 pure bullion if it's alloyed exactly at 14 kt.

Most hallmarks are off a bit on the low side so assume it's 13.5 kt thereabouts.

Your 142 g scrap is actually :

142 x 14/24 = 82.833 grams of 24kt bullion give or take a few grams.

The value of the gold is not increased by refining unless you can achieve extremely high purity gold (like 99.99+) and you have a buyer for that purity gold. You'll also need the purity confirmed with an assay at some point in most cases.

To make a long story short, the refining effort will cost you money, but it will be a very fun learning experience when you get it right!

Steve

Steve,
I have just sent a batch of Karat gold to American Recycling Associates in Texas. This place comes with high recommendation of Catfish. You might want to try them if you do not plan on refining for yourself. It is wise to know what you have before sending to anyone. I typed out a detailed list of what I have and that let's the buyer know that I am not in the dark and what I expect to get form my gold.

I have learned so much form this message board.
www.aragold.com-home.nxg
Take care,
Kbow

Back