Mercury retort

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one for sale on ebay. It might give you some ideas to copy or you can just buy it and save some headaches.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercury-Retort_W0QQitemZ190345353535QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c5177993f

I don't know how it works or if it works. Just seen it for sale and rembered it.

Good luck.
dickb

Anybody ever see the small retort that Rockpecker built anld used many years ago. Found it in his book,"Rockpeckers Notes".. Yes, I built one, no cooling tube and I never had any trouble with it. Very simple to construct. Used it several times. Very effective. However, Hg is not in my arsenal of recovery anymore. And to those who still play with the stuff, you deserve what you reap. Phill

alaninmo: Punch this into your wandering keyboard and really have fun.

"Borax replacing mercury in small scale mining."

Believe me, this method is a joy. Phill

Thanks for the pdf guys, interesting... I'll have to give that a try.. The gas blow torch works on the same principle as a gas Coleman lantern (just on a larger scale).

Harold_V said:
Mercury in intimate contact with the bottom of the retort had a tendency to dissolve the stainless to some degree

Harold_V said:
Avoid galvanized material, which will form an amalgam with mercury. If you find you must buy galvanized components because you can't locate them in what is commonly termed black iron, you can remove the zinc using lye. HCl will dissolve it in a heart beat, but it also promotes rusting. Lye won't rust the parts.
Hi
I want to make mercury retort for silver oxide batteries ( they contains 7 gram per kilo after cementation )
I couldn't find iron caps and fittings
My pipe is stainless steel ( I think ) and caps are galvanized. For galvanized fittings you said I can remove zinc with lye. What is lye concentrate and is it necessary for my work ?

What problems I will have with stainless steel body of retort ?

Thanks

Back