Micro stripping cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set my tiny cell back up and finished running all the material I had saved up. I tried the 5 volt wire and it worked but went back to using 12 volts because it seemed to work faster. I still don't know how much current I was using but, judging by my first tests of this cell using a power supply with volt and amp meters, I don't expect it was more than 3 amps at the most.

I really like this little stripping cell but, if you had much material to process, this one is just too small. My basket only holds a small pinch of pins and connectors at a time. This has worked fine for me but I'm really just experimenting and learning. I tear apart a few things and get some gold plated parts and then process them when I feel like it. Then it could be a while before I get another small batch of material to run through it. If you want to make money from doing this, my tiny version is not for you. If you just want to test the process out on a very small scale, then this size stripping cell might work for you. One advantage to it is that it only requires about 1/2 a cup of acid to set up. The disadvantage, besides the small size, is that it can heat up much faster than the larger version if you use it to strip a lot of parts in one sitting. That has never been a problem for me since I rarely have that many pins to do at a time.

I'm still hoping that between the gold from this cell and the other experiments (currently I.C. chips) I might someday get a gram of gold out of my scrap parts. I know, this sounds like I'm dreaming. Imagine getting THAT MUCH gold from garbage.

The powders have settled out and I see a few tiny gold specks. Not sure I can get them caught in the pictures, but will try. The powder is defiantly lighter in color and I can no longer see the black specks at all. All are slightly lighter than the first drop. I will try to wash them later this evening.

I agree bmgold, the small cell is great for small amounts of materials. Mine is about right for the amounts I work with and is big enough to do a single piece of jewelry at a time. If I lost all the gold powders I have at this point, I would still be very happy. (hope that don't happen)I know how to get more! And from trash too. I have 2 pounds of IC and flat packs already off the boards. I think those may be the next educational trip for me. At least when this batch is finished.

Hey guys I have seen that you are using computer power supplies for your cells. I've attached a PDF that I downloaded off Instructables.com that I plan on using when I have the materials to build it. I believe that it will work for the gold cell as well as for the silver cell. Within the PDF are links to get parts that you are unable to obtain from re-purposing recycled components. I hope you like it.

Rusty

Attachments

• Make-a-bench-power-supply-mostly-from-recycled-par.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 59
Thanks Rusty,

I don't know that I'll build my power supply exactly like what was shown but I got a lot of good ideas from that file. I hadn't even thought of adding a USB port but it makes sense that a computer power supply could easily power one to charge your phone or camera although you might not want them plugged in beside a running gold stripping or silver cell. I've got many more hobbies besides gold refining and can think of many uses for a good bench power supply.

It sure did make use of a lot of recycled materials to build it. I like it.

That is a very nice setup. A bit more than I need right now, but have considered trying to build one later. There is a video on youtube somewhere of that same build. It does look even better in the video. Also look for a video about how to not build a lab power supply. Very nice piece that can be made and just plugs into the power supply. Kind of like an adapter. Not very difficult to build, I think.

http://www.nulltime.com/zincplating/shop_setup/plating_barrel/how_its_made/index.html

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5092

I just joined the forum and after searching the web i finely found what i been looking for real people to learn from thanks for sharing with me i do believe i'm gonna try now thanks

Twright747 said:
I just joined the forum and after searching the web i finely found what i been looking for real people to learn from thanks for sharing with me i do believe i'm gonna try now thanks

I would suggest reading a bit more first. There are many good posts on this subject on the forum. I am new at it, and this was my first experience with it. It isn't that hard, but there things you need to watch for, heat, fumes,gloves etc. Refining the recovered material is a different subject. A beast of another nature, so to speak. That is even more study, but it is all here on the forum. My first few weeks were heavily loaded with reading. I would bet I have read more on recovery and refining than I have read about everything else combined since I joined this sight. I did hit a few problems along the way with this, but from reading all I could find, I only had to ask a few questions, and I managed to work my way through those problems. I still haven't finished my final washing due to being a bit sick the last few days, and today has been my first trip outside, but I have some very pretty, pale brown powders to look at, and a few tiny golden specks, and that makes it worth while for me.

Good Luck, and I hope you find your gold.

Edit: being sick was not from my refining adventures.

sharkhook said:
Twright747 said:

I would suggest reading a bit more first. There are many good posts on this subject on the forum. I am new at it, and this was my first experience with it. It isn't that hard, but there things you need to watch for, heat, fumes,gloves etc. Refining the recovered material is a different subject. A beast of another nature, so to speak. That is even more study, but it is all here on the forum. My first few weeks were heavily loaded with reading. I would bet I have read more on recovery and refining than I have read about everything else combined since I joined this sight. I did hit a few problems along the way with this, but from reading all I could find, I only had to ask a few questions, and I managed to work my way through those problems. I still haven't finished my final washing due to being a bit sick the last few days, and today has been my first trip outside, but I have some very pretty, pale brown powders to look at, and a few tiny golden specks, and that makes it worth while for me.

Good Luck, and I hope you find your gold.

Edit: being sick was not from my refining adventures.

yes, lots of great people here !! also lots of people that work or have worked in the recovery & refining industry. take your time do some reading & you will be on your way before you know it !!

I followed your model but the lead piece im using is getting dissolved when i connect it, will it be better to use titanium instead lead?

FrugalRefiner is right on check the polarity.
Is your powersupply DC?
An AC power supply will oxidize and reduce at both electrodes.

A faulty DC power supply can produce an AC ripple current, or even an AC current with bad or shorted rectifier diodes.

I can hardly believe this post is still going. It gives me a good feeling to see it helping and encouraging others.

davidrey:
What type of power supply are using?
I am pretty confident that FrugalRefiner and butcher are correct in the polarity as well, they both definitely have more experience at it than I do. If you can, post a picture of your setup, I would like to see other first time setups along with bmgold2's and mine. Pictures go along ways in helping new people at times, and helps to spot areas the more experienced can help you with.

Good Luck!
Let us know how it works out for you.

Latest posts

Back