monitors , where to sell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago I hunted American Indian artifacts on the plains of west Texas. I made maps of my finds, locations of camps found, and could tell different tribes by their artifacts, and periods of history of these sites found.
Ancient sites before they used bows and arrows, or horses, many of their artifacts (stone tools were large, as well as the hunting practices of that time, where the tribe would drive a large heard of buffalo over the cliff and finish the Kill with larger tools, and process the whole of the kill on site.

OK, I will try and make the story shorter I can ramble on.

I noticed in several of more modern camp sites, I would occasionally find a piece of glass along with arrow heads spear-points and so on, at first I did not focus on them. Later I could no ignore the glass I found, down on the Concho River, I found a very small cave, in the cave I found one stone spear point, and a knife made from the bottom of a glass bottle of strangely colored glass, the bottom of the bottle had a date in the glass.

The date 1812, so I had to find out at the library, I found that the area had no white settlers or soldiers in that area at that date. The glass had been brought to that area by trade.

But at that date, there were poor German immigrants arriving in Galveston Texas by ship about that same year. There was a deal made by two business men one in Texas and one in Germany. These two men wishing to profit, made a deal trying to take advantage of the land grants the government would give if someone was stupid enough to try and settle the hostile Indian country of west Texas with the Comanche Apache and other hostile tribes. The business deal was to pay to ship poor Emigrants from Germany to Galveston,The businessman from Germany held up to his word and part of the bargain, getting the starving people to tthe shores of Galveston Texas. But the Texas businessman did not hold up his end of the deal, He drank up the money he had to buy wagons and the other supply's needed to get these starving emigrants to the site of the land they held on paper 453 miles away through deadly hostile Indian country.

These immigrants were stuck in Galveston with a piece of paper from the government for 500 acres, with no food or shoes, they traded the land (on paper) for bacon, or shoes... At that time paper deeds were cheap, bacon a rare commodity, many traded away there land for a few more meals, Years later some of these emigrants finally made it to the site of their land in west Texas years later...
Hmm 200 acres for a pound of bacon... "Them thar pigs are worth their weight in gold, thars Gold in them thar Hogs".

1867 A fort an army fort was established in west Texas on the Concho River to fight the hostile tribes Comanche and Apache, Fort Concho Buffalo soldiers (Black soldiers the Indian's called buffalo soldier because their hair was like the hair of the buffalo (American Bison).These black Civil War soldiers (buffalo soldiers Indian fighters) Had a white commander of the fort.
Not far from the site of Fort Concho, I found a field of broken glass, stone tools, rusted square nails, what looked like marbles and other objects including Calvary rim-fire bullet brass casings, buttons... I did not know what this was, but it had all the signs of an Cherokee Indian Campsite, so back to the library I went for more research. There was a small group of friendly Cherokee that lived near the Fort recorded in history, they traded with the buffalo soldiers, they would hunt buffalo for the soldiers, the soldiers would trade their trash (glass bottles nails ...) for the meat Buffalo and hides and for other favors, and even favors from the women of the camp. To the Indian's the trash was valuable to the Cherokee, glass made very good knifes, looked like jewelry or decoration, spearheads and arrow heads are easily made from glass, nails made arrow heads or other tools...
AS far as I know I am the only one who knows where that Indian camp is located, I tried to go to the Fort Concho museum with what I had found and the location of the site, and the Indian artifacts, but they were not interested in the Indian history or the indians artifacts or the glass from the camp I had found. But they were interested in, and kept, some of the Calvary artifacts I had found like a black powder cap and ball pistol cylinder, brass shirt buttons...

This glass was lead glass, from lead glass bottles, many of the bottoms of the bottles had a large hump in them the glass were several different colors green, brown... and each have somewhat of a rainbow glow and scale to them.
The Marbles I found confused me after doing more research,I found out bottles at that time in history were made out of lead-glass and a marble was sealed in the glass when the glass bottle was made, the bottle was filled, the gas pressure from the contents of the bottle would push up on the marble sealing it (from inside the bottle) as a lid To open it the soldier would poke the marble down into the bottle, the marble stayed in the bottle as you drink it the only way to get the marble out is to break the glass.

Ok I will stop rambling on.

Cool story butcher .. Now , where are them pigs at and how do I refine the gold from them?

A small note on lcd monitors.

There is a huge market for these if you are in the electronic scrap recycling business.

Dont take them appart, sell them as a whole unit.

Your local chinaman will buy those dead lcds monitors anywhere between 2 to 10$ a piece.
They dont power up, perfect, as long as the screen is not smashed it's all good.

Everything is shipped to a 3rd world country, fixed and sold back to you...

I buy these myself by the truck load for :
2$ -> 15"
2$ -> any white frame lcd
4$ -> 17"
6$ -> 19"
8$ -> 21"
10$ -> 21+" & flat screen tvs

You can also find a smart kid or check with your local basement computer store owner that will fix them for a revenu share on repaired units (selling retail between 15$ to 75$ a pop).

Laptop lcds are selling as well, between 1$ to 150$ a piece depending on what it is if it is not smashed. But a bit more complicated. Ebay for recent pieces, china for old garbage.

Any smashed lcd where you can see thr crystals spots are selling by the lb as ewaste usualy between 0.01 or free to 0.22 a lb.

alexxx said:

There is a huge market for these if you are in the electronic scrap recycling business.

Your local chinaman will buy those dead lcds monitors anywhere between 2 to 10$ a piece.
They dont power up, perfect, as long as the screen is not smashed it's all good.

This only applies IF they are complete with the desktop stand. All of my monitor scrap was wall mounted in a retail type of kiosk and the stand was thrown out when installed. Without the stands they are worthless to a repair and resell operation.

rickbb said:
alexxx said:

This only applies IF they are complete with the desktop stand. All of my monitor scrap was wall mounted in a retail type of kiosk and the stand was thrown out when installed. Without the stands they are worthless to a repair and resell operation.

Per the underlined - not true - I have sold MANY LCD monitors to the company I deal with without the stand

Kurt

OK guys, post up who you are selling these to. I get 1000's of them a year and have been selling to a local company, but always looking for other buyers. :)

Ditto silversadle1, none of the people I've contacted will touch them without them being complete. And only one would take them not working, and he wanted those for free IF I deliver them. Which is where the usually go.

silversaddle1 said:
OK guys, post up who you are selling these to. I get 1000's of them a year and have been selling to a local company, but always looking for other buyers. :)

Dynamic Recycling :arrow: http://dynamicrecycling.com/

The last time I got in a bunch (about 2 gaylords) of LCD monitors that did not have stands was a about a year & a half ago - they were all the same & all working - sent them to dynamic & got paid no problem

Dynamic is a "large" volume buyer with some of the best pricing I have seen - BUT - because they work on large volume you have to provide volume to get the "full" price of their listed price - so they have minimums

The minimums can consist of mixed - or per item

Example - scrap - 2,000 pounds minimum mixed material (circuit boards, wire, heat sinks, etc.) if you are under 2,000 pounds then they only pay 70 - 80 percent of list price depending on how much under 2,000 pounds &/or grade of material

Resale items like 2 GIG & larger ram - minimum 200 sticks - thats just an example - there are different minimums for different resale items

They also form time to time are looking for "large" volumes of particular items so they will send out notification (if you are on the price list E-mailing list - I get a weekly up date list from them) that they are paying a premium "over" listed price on that item - if you can provide a minimum of that item

Example - a while back when their listed price for "scrap" gold RAM was $14.50/lb - & because they "wanted" gold RAM - they sent out notification they would pay $15.50 if you could provide 500 or more pounds

I am not saying they pay the best price for scrap &/or resale electronics - they are just the best I have found

So - IF - you handle electronics in large volume - I certainly recommend contacting them to receive their price list (by E-mail)

They have two locations - one in Onalaska, WI the other in Nashville, TN

Kurt

Non broken TFT monitors 17" and above I get $3 and $5 for above. Stands arent required. They are buying them for the LCD units. and power boards.

Laptop lcds are selling as well, between 1$ to 150$ a piece depending on what it is if it is not smashed. But a bit more complicated. Ebay for recent pieces, china for old garbage.[/quote]

Been searching for a buyer of as new laptop and tablet screens for a while now, but can not find a buyer who deals internationally. Ebay looks like the way to go.

rickbb said:
Unless they are working monitors that can be reused there really isn't any place to sell them. Little to no PM's in monitors. The PCB may have a few components, but not enough to pay for the trouble to take them apart and depopulate.

I currently have 2 skids of LCD monitors that I have to pay to get rid of due to the fluorescent tubes in them containing mercury.
I dont have that problem. Seems I break the light everytime I remove a laptop screen.

Can you tell me what the plastic sheets in an lcd screen are made of ?
A cell phone for instance has all them sheets in the screen and some appear to be coated with silver . I saved all them and the laptop screen plastic sheets just in case it was something.

Tankman said:
Laptop lcds are selling as well, between 1$ to 150$ a piece depending on what it is if it is not smashed. But a bit more complicated. Ebay for recent pieces, china for old garbage.

Been searching for a buyer of as new laptop and tablet screens for a while now, but can not find a buyer who deals internationally. Ebay looks like the way to go.[/quote]
thanks for the info

kurtak ; sure wish I knew how to get a source for scrap in that volume. I only get what I buy from people on craigs list mainly. Had a source for a decent supply but for some reason he decided not to sell to me. Guess cash in hand is not good enough.
Here in Wichita ks selling scrap for decent price is not possible. Just the gypsies and WMR and neither pay squat for anything. Motherboards are 75 cents Lb cell phones 25 cents Lb . Gold memory 3.00 Lb !

I just have a few old crt monitors and a few laptop screens . I'll just toss them in the trash after I strip any wire from them

Markk, i sent you a pm, but if you are serious into escrap there are places that pay much better than wmr (that establishment is owned by the gypsies who own like 4 or 5 other yards here)

Granted, you have to ship it out or get a trailer and drive it up, but, if its nicely sorted, you would be much better off sending your escrap to boardsort, or dynamic....MUCH better off

Back