Mr.Nortel strikes again!!!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with many things, much of it boils down to temperament and style. There are certain things I won't do even if they would make me more money. I'm not talking about big moral lines in the sand or anything, just smaller stuff like moving to automation instead of doing certain tasks by hand.

I can certainly see that some chips are worth more as collector's pieces than their intrinsic value. But what mod is talking about is the time spent listing, photographing, and learning the market (that's often the biggest hurdle). Once you know the market, you may be able to make more with collectors, but it's tough to quantify how many hours you spent learning, and that will also vary from person to person. As a hobbyist, I certainly have the time to learn the collectors market if I so choose, but I may prefer not to take that extra learning curve time. Someone with bills to pay now may not even have a choice--they can spend storage space and income-less time learning, or they can produce income now.

Different strokes for different folks and all.

Not that mod didn't know he was stirring up a debate when he first mentioned dunking collector's chips in acid. :lol:

upcyclist said:
As with many things, much of it boils down to temperament and style. There are certain things I won't do even if they would make me more money. I'm not talking about big moral lines in the sand or anything, just smaller stuff like moving to automation instead of doing certain tasks by hand.

I can certainly see that some chips are worth more as collector's pieces than their intrinsic value. But what mod is talking about is the time spent listing, photographing, and learning the market (that's often the biggest hurdle). Once you know the market, you may be able to make more with collectors, but it's tough to quantify how many hours you spent learning, and that will also vary from person to person. As a hobbyist, I certainly have the time to learn the collectors market if I so choose, but I may prefer not to take that extra learning curve time. Someone with bills to pay now may not even have a choice--they can spend storage space and income-less time learning, or they can produce income now.

Different strokes for different folks and all.

Not that mod didn't know he was stirring up a debate when he first mentioned dunking collector's chips in acid. :lol:

upcyclist

I wonder if I went and rinsed all the AR off the ceramics that have now been dissolving for the past two hours.I could tape them back together and maybe some of yall collectors could still collect them as a half refined collection.hehe roflmao.....hold up let me go research if I can still get full price.....dang it google told me it would only be worth the gold that was still on them.Man can't make no money that way....(light bulb goes off) Holly cow if I just finish dissolving the gold,and drop it out I'll have another shiny button to go with the two I already have.Sorry yall brought the Dummy out of me again.Thanks in advance.

modtheworld44

Mod I've learned a lot from you like a lot of people here. I gotta say your pics of material your posts how much you've learned your tenacity and your courage to argue your opinion are more than admirable. That being said refining something with 17 dollars worth of gold that has a 187$ collector value is just stupid. Now I'm not saying everything should be saved I'll bet 90% + of what your doing is correct and profitable. All I think we are saying is for the 15 mins it could take you may be literally throwing thousands of dollars in the trash. Anyways please keep up the posts and pics I always learn from them.

chuckgambale said:
Mod I've learned a lot from you like a lot of people here. I gotta say your pics of material your posts how much you've learned your tenacity and your courage to argue your opinion are more than admirable. That being said refining something with 17 dollars worth of gold that has a 187$ collector value is just stupid. Now I'm not saying everything should be saved I'll bet 90% + of what your doing is correct and profitable. All I think we are saying is for the 15 mins it could take you may be literally throwing thousands of dollars in the trash. Anyways please keep up the posts and pics I always learn from them.

chuckgambale

Yes you are right,it is only my opinion. :mrgreen: That's my hole point,but I'll humor yall.

For any one who has the time to come and clean,cherry pick the parts I'm keeping on these boards.I'll sell you any ceramic I have......for $200.00USD a piece.The price is what I'm charging for loss of Yield data.The work is the charge for the opportunity to purchase my ceramic chips.I don't let other people put their prices on my money.Yall still interested. :mrgreen: Thanks in advance.

modtheworld44

Attachments

• DSC00454.JPG
    DSC00454.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 472
  • DSC00455.JPG
    DSC00455.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 472
  • DSC00456.JPG
    DSC00456.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 472
  • DSC00459.JPG
    DSC00459.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 472
  • DSC00460.JPG
    DSC00460.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 472
Jerry

Chuck is right. For my part, why are you being so blinkered about this? Nobody is trying to get over on you in fact quite the opposite. If you think you're smart chucking money away then so be it. We're not talking nickels and dimes.

Mod,

$200.00USD a piece,, :lol: hehehe you wont even get $10 gold value each if you will refine them.

Plus the yield data is not a secret anymore, we all know the the ballpark yield data :mrgreen:

I have open some of those the same ceramic processors, the one in the first picture in the first two pile in the first line, the bond wires are not gold but aluminum and the gold lid plating is not comparable to the thickness with the Intel 486.

Well - I am going to have to agree with Jerry (mod) on this one - & upcyclist nailed it with

But what mod is talking about is the time spent listing, photographing, and learning the market (that's often the biggest hurdle).

Add to that the time for packaging & getting it sent out &/or the time spent dealing with people that want to talk you down on price etc. etc.

Per the under lined in the above quote; - its kind of like collectable coins - the vast majority of coins (lets use silver as the example) are "not" so to speak collectable - they are simply worth there value in silver - it is only the "rare" coin that is "truly" collectable - with a HIGH collector value

The thing is - I am not a coin collector &/or dealer - I am a PM refiner - therefore coins (silver) have no value to me other then there silver value

Because I am "not" a coin collector - I have NO idea what coins are truly - "the rare coins with a true collectable value"

So lets just say I picked up a bunch of coins at an estate sale (like me - kids have no idea of "collectable" values - dad was the "collector" - so kids are happy to get silver value in the estate sale)

Now - I could bring those coins home & go through them in the "hope" that "maybe" one, a couple, or a few are truly collectable with a true "high" collector value

The problem is - I have NO idea what to even look for --- therefore - I would have to sit down at my computer - go through every single coin - look at it - look it up (on line) see if its "collectable" - or NOT --- this would take me HOURs - if not DAYs - to MAYBE (or NOT) find that one or two coins that actually have a true collector value - & then more time to try to market it

Sorry - but that is NOT going to happen - I am NOT a coin collector &/or dealer - I am a refiner --- & I DON'T have time to learn "The Collectable Market" --- I am BUSY with "moving" impure metals in & pure metals out

Now - granted - if refining was just a hobby for me - & I had another source of income (to pay the bills) then I could take the time (at my leisure) to go through coins - do the research - to learn the collectable market --- but refining is not a hobby for me - I don't have another source of income - my life depends on product in & product out ASAP --- it is NOT worth my time to go though a "bunch" of coins - in the "hope" that I "might" find that one coin that is "maybe" worth the silver (or more) in the whole bunch of coins ---- hope, might, maybe - more often then not results in disappointment - with a LOT of time spent - just to be disappointed

Here is another example; - three years ago I bought a new yard tractor with attachable/detachable front mount mower deck - snow blower - & scoop bucket --- so I figured I would list my old riding mower & old walk behind snow blower on craigslist (or yard sale) for $100 - $150 each being has how they are (used) but still working

The problem is - I am not in the business of selling used yard equipment ether - so dealing with trying to sell them as used equipment is not high on my priority list - I am far to busy moving scrap (base metals) in & out &/or recovering/refining PMs

Consequently - the mower & snow blower have been sitting here taking up space & in my way for three years now - guess what - next time I haul in a load of scrap iron - they are going in with the load of scrap - so I will get $20 - $30 as scrap - rather then $200 - $300 as used equipment - BUT - they will be "out of my way" & I will gain square footage in my shop

Because they are working used equipment - do you think the scrap yard is going to try to sell them as used equipment ?

NOPE - I will back the trailer in by the scrap iron dumpster - the loader operator will grab ahold of them with the clam shell (which will crush them) & he will toss them in the 40 yard roll off scrap iron dumpster

End of story (the scrap yard is not in the used equipment business ether)

Kurt

Fair comment Kurt. There's a middle ground here though and that's what I'm trying to get at.

It doesn't take a whole lot of time to work out whether a proc is worth more than $6 in gold and once you've learned that once you don't have to learn it again. The bit I don't see and don't get is the "it's all going into the pot regardless" and that's what I was failing to get my head around.

Once again Mod love the pics keep em coming pal. I genuinely appreciate what you do for our benefit. Please keep in mind guys that besides the information on the forum one of the best things is the free flowing discussion (arguments) by grown men with strong opinions who don't get but hurt when someone disagrees.

Agreed Chuck -100%

When some snowflake gets all uptight it always ruins a good argument - err- - discussion :lol:

Edit it's no good when people go all Trigglypuff on you halfway through a thread (google it, you'll scream with laughter) and this thread is solid.

Jon

kurtak said:
Now - granted - if refining was just a hobby for me - & I had another source of income (to pay the bills) then I could take the time (at my leisure) to go through coins - do the research - to learn the collectable market --- but refining is not a hobby for me - I don't have another source of income - my life depends on product in & product out ASAP --- it is NOT worth my time to go though a "bunch" of coins - in the "hope" that I "might" find that one coin that is "maybe" worth the silver (or more) in the whole bunch of coins ---- hope, might, maybe - more often then not results in disappointment - with a LOT of time spent - just to be disappointed
Bingo! As a favor to a casting student, I bought some silver coins at 100% of melt that she had no hope of upping to Sterling by adding fine silver (.835, .500, .350, etc.). There were probably only 10 or so, and two of them were 1940s British East India 1/4 rupees worth about $30. So, yes, I found some where the collector value exceeded melt by 20x or so.

Note 1: The only reason I even looked was because I already have some foreign coins from my father and his family. So yes, a hobbyist/dabbler.

Note 2: Why did my student have them? Because her brother deals in US coins and just sells the foreign stuff at melt. Even the man who makes his money selling US coins didn't bother with the foreign stuff!

I want to Thank each everyone of you guys for have this debate with me(without destroying the thread). :mrgreen:

Here's my example- I can refine 5+ ounces of gold a month from E-waste alone.That's about 6,000.00+ dollars a month.The average ceramic seller can't even come close to that,granted there are some maybe but on the average no way.If I did it your way that number would start going down dramatically,because I would have to take 40+ hours away from the time it takes to refine that 5+ounces.I get 10-25 pound lots in at a time,some times 2-3 times a week.It takes 1-2 hours just to sort it by company and type.This is why I choose to refine and collect the yield data vs selling the ceramics.Thanks in advance.

P.S Kurt you know exactly how it goes(in and out as quickly as possible).

modtheworld44

I guess my ceramics just didn't have that collectors appeal everyone was so adamant about. :mrgreen:
Oh well...think the gold will look way better as a button any ways.I'll definitely give yall an A+ for effort though.Running late for work so catch yall later.Thanks in advance.

modtheworld44

The reason is simple. In this heap of ceramics there are no rare CPUs or FPUs. Collectors mainly collect processors and coprocessors.

Update

I'm going to start this batch of ceramics with the rest of the gold lidded ceramics......tomorrow(weather permitting).Stay tuned in to see if I get my golden goal met.Thanks in advance.

modtheworld44

Update!!!!

Here is all the kovar/gold plated lids and all the ceramic body's from them.I put the lids in a coffee pot and the ceramic body's in a 5 gallon bucket that sits on 2 fire brick on a 400 degree f griddle.I'll be back with more updates later.Thanks in advance.

modtheworld44

Attachments

• DSC00474.JPG
    DSC00474.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 129
  • DSC00473.JPG
    DSC00473.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 129
Update!!!!

Here's what the 5pounds 1.2 ounces of ceramic bodies produced,now to finish the lids.enjoy :mrgreen:
Thanks in advance.

modtheworld44

Attachments

• DSC00477.JPG
    DSC00477.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 102
Back