My 1st Inquarting Process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4metals said:
I only had to add the smallest sprinkle of sulfamic. And thank you for the tip on rolling to add surface area.

And you killed the nitric off when you were done. Why? The parting is to separate the silver and base metals from the gold, sulfamic is not used in the parting acids.
No my mistake. The sulfamic was used after ar before precipitating. Sorry for my misconstrued words.

Nice job!

I haven't noticed too many issues with my karat gold using either copperas or SMB, but I tend to use copperas on the first refine, SMB on the second. When/if I start doing higher volumes, I may switch to one or the other unless I encounter a problem, but it's working so far.

One last bit--if you're cementing your silver after you part it with nitric, you don't need to remelt it into cornflakes until you're ready to sell it or prep it for some other end use (realloying to Sterling, etc.). If you're just going to use it for future inquarting, you'd just be melting it twice by the time you alloy it with your karat scrap. Totally up to you in the end--just a suggestion.

upcyclist said:
Nice job!

I haven't noticed too many issues with my karat gold using either copperas or SMB, but I tend to use copperas on the first refine, SMB on the second. When/if I start doing higher volumes, I may switch to one or the other unless I encounter a problem, but it's working so far.

One last bit--if you're cementing your silver after you part it with nitric, you don't need to remelt it into cornflakes until you're ready to sell it or prep it for some other end use (realloying to Sterling, etc.). If you're just going to use it for future inquarting, you'd just be melting it twice by the time you alloy it with your karat scrap. Totally up to you in the end--just a suggestion.
Thank you upcyclist. And that was my plan to drop with copperas 1st but my light went out and was easier for me to deal with smb rather than copperas at the time. But my future inquarting will be done that way as I have some great copperas acquired from Topher. And to be honest as far as the silver shot,I melted just to see the prettiness. Thank you for the tips and compliment, I appreciate it!

Back