Mylar fingers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patnor1011

I would call them mylar fingers unless there is better name for them. They usually come from like cd/dvd rom but can be found in other places and on white ribbon cables too. I am wondering if anyone have some data on possible yield. I vaguely recall that many years ago someone had some assayed and from what I remember they ran about ounce from a kilogram but I may be mistaken. Is there anyone who can shed more light on this?
mylar fingers.jpg

I never processed these separate, but the light weight substrate material is much lighter than Ram fingers, so it will be around or above average ram finger yield, I would expect.

I tried to process them once, can't recall all the details, but if I recall correctly, results were underwhelming... I was left under impression that they were ENIG...

I've done a couple handfuls in the past, about the only thing I can remember was they were annoying to rinse. They were like 2 pieces of wet glass when stuck together and they sometimes stuck to the beaker walls....not terrible, just annoying.

I still trim them off and throw in with any gold fingers I have. But i've never had enough to get a yeild from.

Several years back I ran a couple of pounds but have no idea where any notes are after moving. I don’t recall being over impressed but kept adding them in with other fingers and plated boards. I did learn that they are similar to fingers in that some are better than others. The one from ink jet cartridges were the worst.

Hi Pat,
good to ear from you.
These stripes are usually flash-plated. Ultra-super thin coating.
Did some a few years ago and it was close to nothing.
You can test the coating with a simple method. Try to rub the gold-plated areas with a finger or another object like a pen and if you can rub it off, then you have only a few atoms of coating.

Back