NEC telecomm box components

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnny309 said:
It is not lost ....is in your melting dish....if you can provide a picture of your melting dish (I'm guessing covered in black...because you did not reach the temperature for melting Pd....and that I say only looking of the final product.... it is "frozen")

Hi

I dont have the pic of the melting dish but what u see in the first two photos of Pd which was rolled to inspect any cracks which there was none which is indication of purity.

If you refer to third and foruth pics as "frozen" that is silver bead

Hi everyone

As promised I have finished processing the entire contacts removed from a NEC telecomm box components and recovered Ag, Au, Pd and Pt

The final powders will be melting today and will post them tonight.

Here are some pictures of contacts removed manually from different components of this telecomm box, total weight is 189 grams.

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

Processing continued next post

First

All components were dissolved in hot dilute nitric acid, it took almost 500 ml of nitric acidto completely dissolve Pd, Ag and other base metals.

There were gold and platinum foils plus some tin nitrate paste in the beaker.

Here is the main nitrate solution with Pd G and all base metals
IMG_0930.JPG

The residue not dissolved in nitric acid containing tin nitrate, gold and platinum. Gold is visible with naked eyes
IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

First thing addition of hcl to drop silver as silver chloride, then filtering it, wash it with hot water till the passing solution is negative for any Pd.
IMG_0933.JPG

Cementing with zinc powder washing the silver powder till pH is 7, drying.
IMG_0934.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

Total weight for dried silver powder is 3.90 grams

Ok now going at the main precious metals used in all these contacts, Palladium.
IMG_0938.JPG

Checked with stannous and got this dark brown result
IMG_0939.JPG

As it has been discussed in forum, there are at3 main methods of dropping Pd from a solution, which means cemeting on copper, or dropping with zinc powder, and for small or lab size using DMG. Not to mention ammonium salt follow by ammonia wash adding hcl

I have access to a reliable yet inexpensive DMG source so I can use that for a quicker method of recovery for Pd.

I prepared a DMG solution based on the guidelines provided by R.I.P freechemists (4g NaOH, 100 ml hot water, 5.81g DMG)

Added 100ml of DMG solution to Pd solution and got the deep yellow salt.
IMG_0940.JPG

DMG addition repeated till stannous showed negative for Pd.

Here are some photos of stannous testing on passing solution after first, and second DMG solution addition.
IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

The yellow salt for each step was converted using zinc powder and hcl, and black Pd powder produced from each step was washed throughly till pH showed 7.

Here is the last Pd drop added to the previous ones to be dried.IMG_0946.JPG

Here is the dried Pd powder from entire lot, (not including 2.23 grams Pd which was melted from 22 gram lot 1).
IMG_0947.JPG

Total dried weight for Pd black is 8.28 grams.

Here is the part that I have never experienced before and that is dealing with a scrap that contained both gold and platinum.

Here is AR solution of dissolving tin nitrate gold and platinum.
IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

Here is stannous chloride test result it shows both purpule and orange.
IMG_0951.JPG

Diluted the AR gold platinum solution,
IMG_0952.JPG

Added SMB
IMG_0953.JPG

After 2 hours, gold had precipitated
IMG_0954.JPG

This is the gold powder hadnt gone through 3 washes with distilled water, ammonia and hcl yet
IMG_0955.JPG

Gold powder after washes and dried weighs 0.17 gram.

After gold was dropped, solution was filtered and tested with stannous and showed weak Pt presence.
IMG_0956.JPG

I added zinc powder to the above solution, and this happened,
IMG_0957.JPG

During that reaction little of sulfur gas could be smelted. I filtered everything and checked the filtered solution there was no sign of Pt.
IMG_0959.JPG

I dissolved everything filtered in AR
IMG_0961.JPG

All that white yellowish powder dissolved in AR and tested positive for platinum.
IMG_0962.JPG

Next post

There was this piece left which everytime I boiled in AR stannous showed positive for Platinum but this wouldnt dissolve.
IMG_0963.JPG

So I dropped the Pt black using zinc powder from the solution and will melt the powder and thatn unknown piece all together

All

Finally finished melting the powders into metal beads

Here is palladium, 8.23 grams Pd black powder plus 2.23 grams of Pd metal,

IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG

It weighed 9.25 grams, after rolling it seemed like it cracked as can be seen here
IMG_0980.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG

After second melting it weighed 8.50 grams but I bought a new melting dish and return to the jewler in evening to re melt it again.

Here is for John who was interested in seeing the melting dish after second melting of 9.25 gram Pd button.
IMG_0982.JPG

Silver beads from entire contacts including the bead from last lot 1,
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0985.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG

Here is the platinum from entire lot processing
Weighs 0.390 gram
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG

Gold and refined Pd will be posted in few hours

Hi everyone

Since the Pd bead was impure, had to dissolve it in nitric acid.

This impure Pd bead weighed 8.050 grams.

Here is a photo of back and front, you notice a yellowish tint in the first picture that seemed like gold.
IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG

So I decided to dissolve the bead in near boiling dilute nitric acid. It took 2 hours amd 50 minutes for 8.05 grams of Pd dissolve completely.

IMG_0997.JPG

And gold which did not dissolve in nitric remained
IMG_0998.JPG

Gold powder cleaned up by few hot water washes
IMG_0999.JPG

More next post

Since I had used a lot of nitric acid to dissolve Pd bead and didnt have DMG or ammonia salt to drop Pd, I added hcl to solution till it was 800 ml of burgandy Pd solution

Then I brought the solution to near boil, added small amounts of sulfamic acid to expell too much nitric which was used.

Almost took me 1 hour and 40 minutes till all the excessive nitric was gone.

Transfered the Pd solution to a bigger bucket, and added zinc powder to drop the Pd black as it can be seen here
IMG_1001.JPG

To this
IMG_1002.JPG

Washed the Pd black till pH was 7, dried it
IMG_1003.JPG

Continued next

Finally melted the Pd black powder and got this lovely Pd bead.

IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1005.JPG
IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1007.JPGIMG_1008.JPG

I like to thank the forum and its great members some of whom are not with us anymore like freechemist to give me the initial understanding about all of these.

Lastly the photos of silver and melted gold next

Hi Kjavan!
I just revisited this thread, and your silver cementing just puzzled me.

You said
Silver chloride was filtered and washed throughly with hot water till the solution passed the filtee turn clear and stannous test showed no more Pd.
Silver metal from cementing with zinc powder and hcl.

How did you actually do this?
What I have been seeing on the forum is either the NAOH-syrup or Iron-H2SO4 method.
Your way seem more simple and direct, also the Pd cementing directly from DMG salt, seem very direct comparing to what has been the usual outline on the forum.

Yggdrasil said:
Hi Kjavan!
I just revisited this thread, and your silver cementing just puzzled me.

You said
Silver chloride was filtered and washed throughly with hot water till the solution passed the filtee turn clear and stannous test showed no more Pd.
Silver metal from cementing with zinc powder and hcl.

How did you actually do this?
What I have been seeing on the forum is either the NAOH-syrup or Iron-H2SO4 method.
Your way seem more simple and direct, also the Pd cementing directly from DMG salt, seem very direct comparing to what has been the usual outline on the forum.

Hi

Silver chloride can be converted to metallic silver using zinc powder as the following;

1- Wash and rinse the silver chloride till solution is clear.

2- Add water till all silver chloride powder is covered.

3- Sprinkle zinc powder and mix it well with solver chloride powder, check the bottom of beaker to be sure no more white silver chloride is seen.

4- Slowly add muratic acid to the mix, and stir.

5- Wait till bubbling stopped, then add more hcl to make sure zinc is removed completely.

6- Wash and rinse with hot water till pH of water rinsed is 7.

7- Dry the silver metal powder and melt.

Procedure for cemeting Palladium from DMG Pd yellow salt is very similar to above, except more stirrig and smaller addition of hcl is needed due to boil over.

These methods are straight and simple.

Hope that help
KJ

Thanks Kjavan.
Interesting that this method hasn't been covered more.
How are the losses comparing to the Lye Sugar or Iron Sulphuric method?

Back