Need help identifying

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s kind of what I thought. But after more examination I don’t think it is. I was thinking maybe palladium. Took it to a gold and silver place they had it for a week, drilled holes in it to “x ray” it then proceeded to tell me it has no value after they drilled holes in the thing. Shouldnt they have to ask permission before just drill a hole in something that is not theres? Then giving it back saying they don’t know what it is but it has no value. It doesn’t now that you drilled holes in the thing. If you don’t know what it is how could they even say it has no value. Could be something that hasn’t been discovered. Who knows

You'll need more information for identification. Visually, it could be any of dozens of minerals. Where was it found? What's its density? Does it dissolve in any mineral acids? When a tiny sample of powdered mineral is roasted, does it give off a rotten egg smell (proof it's a sulfide).

But likely it's a pyrite or other metal sulfide. The bright crystalline metallic appearance suggests that fairly strongly. But get the density value. That will be very informative and should be easy to obtain.

Looks like pyrite. Nobody on this forum would be able to tell you exactly what elements it contains, and how much of each. That is what a lab is for, and why people charge good money to tell you what it is. Either send it off for an assay, or learn to do it yourself.

Back