Need help with identification

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo

I was contacted by an individual with some material that I have never dealt with in this form. Two bottles, approximately 1 1/2 pounds, of liquid gold for pottery that has since dried out and resembles gold dust. Engelhard Liquid Gold Division. The lady said the bottles and content is all original. She said it belonged to grandmother that has since passed and she has no idea what to do with it.
My question, has anyone dealt with this material that can give me any insight of possible content and any tips on best process. Pictures included. 1654296062812.jpg1654296070160.jpg1654296020128.jpg

Certainly looks like gold. Dissolve a tiny bit in a few drops of aqua regia and do a stannous test. Dust like that will dissolve quickly. You only need a trace of dust to get a positive test if it's really gold.

We did some similar material many years ago it was quite rich.
Take a sample and dissolve and stannous test it to be sure it is gold , if so incinerate and then dissolve , not much more to it .

Used to do this stuff all the time. Engelhard had been making it for years and it’s much coveted by lampwrights/glassblowers. It’s not common to see and most of what I dealt with was for fire gilding glass stemware and the rims of porcelain plates with fine gold. It was painted on and fired. This one being “amethyst” makes me think less gold concentration and that it was designed to deposit fine purple gold nanoparticles.

Before it evaporated to that powdery state, it was a mix of essential oils, probably some ether and turpentine for solvent, as well as pine rosin, gum arabic and probably a few other things to thicken it up. The active ingredient WAS HAuCl4. Looks like that mostly decomposed to gold metal.

if it were me, I’d get it out of the container as best I can, I’d try rinsing the container out with acetone.

I’d let that evaporate in a safe area then cover it and burn it at a red heat. I’d crush the jar and put that in too. Then burn it all again so that I can be dissolved in AR. I would take a small amount and torch test it to make sure it beads up. Some of these bright mixes had various nasties (lead oxide and what not) so be careful.

Used to do this stuff all the time. Engelhard had been making it for years and it’s much coveted by lampwrights/glassblowers. It’s not common to see and most of what I dealt with was for fire gilding glass stemware and the rims of porcelain plates with fine gold. It was painted on and fired. This one being “amethyst” makes me think less gold concentration and that it was designed to deposit fine purple gold nanoparticles.

Before it evaporated to that powdery state, it was a mix of essential oils, probably some ether and turpentine for solvent, as well as pine rosin, gum arabic and probably a few other things to thicken it up. The active ingredient WAS HAuCl4. Looks like that mostly decomposed to gold metal.

if it were me, I’d get it out of the container as best I can, I’d try rinsing the container out with acetone.

I’d let that evaporate in a safe area then cover it and burn it at a red heat. I’d crush the jar and put that in too. Then burn it all again so that I can be dissolved in AR. I would take a small amount and torch test it to make sure it beads up. Some of these bright mixes had various nasties (lead oxide and what not) so be careful.
Thank you Lou.

I will proceed exactly the same way as Lou perhaps in a little digging try to see with borax 6 thoroughly and it gets in shape then I will only reach the spectrometer a little bit to see if there is indeed presence lead or not and I will go directly through the what to govern if there is too much money I cried more then for the quartation

Given the mouth of the product I would of course do that outside my home and in a well ventilated space.
Bye

Vincent

Back