New here, hello!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFill

Hey guys! Been googling gold refining mistakes and more Ogden than not end up here reading someone giving advice. Decided it looks good so I joined directly. Currently attempting to directly electrolysis gold from computer scrap with 2 metal pans, one perforated, inside the other.

Have read a few posts so know this is not the best method now but... already started so I'll see how it ends.

Hey guys! Been googling gold refining mistakes and more Ogden than not end up here reading someone giving advice. Decided it looks good so I joined directly. Currently attempting to directly electrolysis gold from computer scrap with 2 metal pans, one perforated, inside the other.

Have read a few posts so know this is not the best method now but... already started so I'll see how it ends.
Welcome.
Your description do not make much sense to me, can you give us a sketch or picture?

Since you are new and plan to process, please study and read these links.

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/safety.47/
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/dealing-with-waste.10539/

Suggested reading:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/the-library.101/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/when-in-doubt-cement-it-out.30236/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...le-read-this-before-you-post-about-ore.33333/

Forum rules is here.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

Typo: more OFTEN than not!

Writing this on a phone is a pain. I promise I know English!

My setup: 2 metal pans, one perforated inside the other, separated from contact by a piece of plastic but electrolyte solution can move freely between the 2.

Perforated pan has scrap material in contact, I've decided not to powder it or anything, the logic being that a whole circuit should be electronically connected to all metal parts. Some chips have been removed however. Whatever I deemed to not contain precious metal has been taken off.

I have a limited supply of nitric acid but excess hydrochloric acid so my ar has a heavy bias towards hcl. The anode is the perforated pan, the cathode the pan containing everything. I attached a photo. I keep mixing up anode and cathode because my transformer doesn't tell me which wire is the positive.

This setup produces a black powder that melts to a small amount of metal that streaks gold but dissapears quickly under nitric. Im guessing 1-10% gold. Idon't know how dilute. When I get more I'll get its density to see what I really have.

Attachments

• 20240306_075055.jpg
    20240306_075055.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

My setup: 2 metal pans, one perforated inside the other, separated from contact by a piece of plastic but electrolyte solution can move freely between the 2.

Perforated pan has scrap material in contact, I've decided not to powder it or anything, the logic being that a whole circuit should be electronically connected to all metal parts. Some chips have been removed however. Whatever I deemed to not contain precious metal has been taken off.

I have a limited supply of nitric acid but excess hydrochloric acid so my ar has a heavy bias towards hcl. The anode is the perforated pan, the cathode the pan containing everything. I attached a photo. I keep mixing up anode and cathode because my transformer doesn't tell me which wire is the positive.

This setup produces a black powder that melts to a small amount of metal that streaks gold but dissapears quickly under nitric. Im guessing 1-10% gold. Idon't know how dilute. When I get more I'll get its density to see what I really have.
This is not actually an electrolytic setup it is a hybrid solution I have never heard of before.
An electrolytic cell use a dissolved salt as electrolyte and a solid anode for the feed stock and a inert cathode to receive the metal.
Your setup will not work since the AR will dissolve the metal pans additionally there will be no contact between the metals on/in PCBs.
Additionally the AR will dissolve all including the Gold and cement it back onto any base metal in contact with the liquid.

AR is HCl in excess and just the amount needed to dissolve the precious metal you have everything from 3-1 to 15-1 or less.

Now put your toys away and start studying.
Start with safety then waste treatment and the most important Hokes book, many recommend reading it at least 3 times.

This is not actually an electrolytic setup it is a hybrid solution I have never heard of before.
An electrolytic cell use a dissolved salt as electrolyte and a solid anode for the feed stock and a inert cathode to receive the metal.
Your setup will not work since the AR will dissolve the metal pans additionally there will be no contact between the metals on/in PCBs.
Additionally the AR will dissolve all including the Gold and cement it back onto any base metal in contact with the liquid.

AR is HCl in excess and just the amount needed to dissolve the precious metal you have everything from 3-1 to 15-1 or less.

Now put your toys away and start studying.
Start with safety then waste treatment and the most important Hokes book, many recommend reading it at least 3 times.
Ok so seeing I literally got on here last night we can assume that I haven't had time to read your book 3 times, thanks for the vote of confidence though. Let's work on you convincing me you know enough to invest the time on your suggestion. Now as for HELPFUL suggestions... seeing you openly admit you don't understand my setup, how can you be so sure it's a toy? There are successful examples of this on the Web after all. Good to know it's excess hcl to nitric. That helps. I can use that to help create a natural system that relies less on chemical inputs.

Thanks for the discourse on safe waste management, my phd was on this topic. If you need any help with that, be sure to ask me.

Ok so seeing I literally got on here last night we can assume that I haven't had time to read your book 3 times, thanks for the vote of confidence though. Let's work on you convincing me you know enough to invest the time on your suggestion. Now as for HELPFUL suggestions... seeing you openly admit you don't understand my setup, how can you be so sure it's a toy? There are successful examples of this on the Web after all. Good to know it's excess hcl to nitric. That helps. I can use that to help create a natural system that relies less on chemical inputs.

Thanks for the discourse on safe waste management, my phd was on this topic. If you need any help with that, be sure to ask me.
Since you came here yesterday you are a blank page to us.
You might have been Einstein for what we know.
So since you have a PhD in waste management we be happy for you to read our waste treatment protocol
and comment on what is good and what is bad please.

I did not comment on your electrolytic setup as a toy
but urged you to put your toys away as in setting all your stuff aside until you have studied enough to understand what you are doing.

And as Shark say I would be happy to see what resources you find on this on the web.

Just a food for thought:
Almost any metal will dissolve in AR .
Most stainless is fine in pure Nitric but not in HCl.

Do you know the majority of PCB components are semi conductors? Meaning they only conduct when e.g. a current is put on the gate so the collector and emitter can let current through? And resistors do not help evenly distributing current and sufficient voltage to all plated parts. Capacitors let some DC current through, until saturated. Diodes are a one way street.
At best I guess you will be able to strip 10% of all pm's from the boards this way.

Then: metal in an electrolytical cell is dissolved at the anode, and deposited on the cathode. So mark your positive lead with something (red) and hook that up to the anode. (basket with metal to be stripped)

Does the transformer have a rectifier? If not, you won't be able to use it for electrolysis. You need DC current.

AR dissolves most metals without electrolysis, but pushing electrons through a metal in an electrolyte will dissolve much more elements than without the added current. You need an oxidizer strong enough to dissolve a metal. Only salt water and electric current can be enough for some metals, where strong acids fail.
Electrolysis with HCL is usually not a good idea, due to the chlorine gas that is created. If you can mitigate that risk you could be fine.

Time for some reflection i must say:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...imple-question-and-get-a-simple-answer.21412/

All together I conclude you are trying to take shortcuts due to a lack of understanding and this process you suggest will not work.
AR dissolves gold without current, so why add current?

Dissolving gold in the presence of PCB's is a bad idea. you will loose some gold to the capillary effect of the fiber boards.

One more comment here would be: have some respect for the people providing you with answers for free in their spare time. Yggdrasil knows his stuff and is very well certified imo.

We get a lot of 'professors' here, reinventing the wheel, who will admit after some time they seriously underestimated the processes and complexity of this craft. Start with known processes, and once that becomes routine, you can start experimenting.
So stop and study. a much given, and equally hated advice, but there you have it.

Be safe and have fun!

Before you do anything, please suggest it for us to review. It will save you on a lot of trouble and possibly health.

Martijn.

Back