Nitric acid vs Nitrile lab gloves šŸ˜³

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acidrain

Supporting Member
I'm learning of the ever present need to research the compatibility of anything and everything used in conjunction with the chemicals that we use in recovery and refining.
This is very important to consider!!

I'm learning of the ever present need to research the compatibility of anything and everything used in conjunction with the chemicals that we use in recovery and refining.

OK, so obviously not Nitrile. What is the most resistant economical material?

I believe latex is most economical and butyl rubber the most resilient

Are you planning on using a lot of fuming nitric acid?
Details and facts are more important to know than headlines... that's why we ask newbies to read Miss Hokes book ten times. You see something new every time you read it. like those funny details in movies you only see after a coup[le of times.

like "Do not blow dust off of your coverall with compressed air!! It will burn extremely!!
But if you do a little research that is actually about using compressed OXYGEN, not air.

As (red or white) fuming nitric is not needed in refining, there will be no danger.

In chemistry the details matter. Stick to facts.

Not saying you don't need to do proper research and present your plan to us before you do anything. Because of assumptions like this one. You may be over doing it with a full body chemically resistant over-pressure suit, you may be underestimating some things.

Are you planning on using a lot of fuming nitric acid?
Details and facts are more important to know than headlines... that's why we ask newbies to read Miss Hokes book ten times. You see something new every time you read it. like those funny details in movies you only see after a coup[le of times.

like "Do not blow dust off of your coverall with compressed air!! It will burn extremely!!
But if you do a little research that is actually about using compressed OXYGEN, not air.

As (red or white) fuming nitric is not needed in refining, there will be no danger.

In chemistry the details matter. Stick to facts.

Not saying you don't need to do proper research and present your plan to us before you do anything. Because of assumptions like this one. You may be over doing it with a full body chemically resistant over-pressure suit, you may be underestimating some things.
At this point I cannot say if I plan or don't plan on using a lot of fuming nitric. I would guess not but I am just learning and researching right now.
I came across that video and that was new information for me that I thought was extremely interesting. I don't come from a chemistry background, I've dabbled in it here and there but never put in the amount of learning that I am right now.
Before learning that, I assumed Nitrile would be a good choice but the more I learn, the more I realize that what you're saying is absolutely true. The fine details matter a lot, planning is very important and knowing the compatability of materials is utterly essential. The more I read, the more I realize just how dangerous these processes can be if you don't understand what's happening.
I am on my third read of Ms Hokes book. Almost ready for the acquaintance experiments. I have a plan for a fume hood and scrubber that I want finished beforehand.
I've been reading the safety section and the waste section and have also been studying online about the different chemicals we use and also equipment and labware.
I've also read everything on goldnscrap website which I found quite informative.
I'm not sure why you ask the pointed questions you did, as all I did was post some information that all of us newbies should know and that I haven't found as of yet on this forum but I get it Martijn and appreciate that you're looking out for us from a safety standpoint.
Long story short though, I am not going to be doing any digestion with nitric yet but do plan to in the future.
I guess lesson learned, I will keep to myself until I know all the facts as I am not a chemist.

All that being said, I really do love this stuff and am having such a good time learning about it and really wish I had gone to school to learn chemistry. It's REALLY captivated my attention šŸ˜Š
I love this forum!
It can be quite addictive. The difficulty in learning it was one thing that attracted me to it.

Back