NOX protection

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for the record..
1:The percentage in fresh air is around 20.9%.
2:The filtermedium in the mask needs a minimum of 17% of oxygen to still perform within range of the specifications.
If (you would have an oxygen sensor laying around and acctually be able to measure) for any reason the oxygen in the air you work in gets below 19%, you should be seriously concerned by what is causing that shortage. You are certainly not in fresh air and have leave the room and ventilate!! And investigate why the oxygen levels are dropping.

If something is driving oxygen off or consuming oxygen, like an empty closed rusty barrel can consume the oxygen inside, the levels may drop further to dangerous levels where your perception of reality could be changed you loose body functions or just loose consciousness.
Gases pushing oxygen out are generally heavier than air
And you'll be laying on the floor.

Fyi: OSHA minimum oxygen levels to work under.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/2007-04-02-0%23:~:text%3DHuman%2520beings%2520must%2520breathe%2520oxygen,air%2520is%2520considered%2520oxygen%252Ddeficient.&ved=2ahUKEwjlgc6ehvjpAhXJ66QKHT1RAqAQFjABegQIDBAF&usg=AOvVaw000wX_Kj_-bgkwjN1ehFYG
And: earths atmosphere wiki
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth&ved=2ahUKEwjWzL2ViPjpAhXKGewKHda0CDEQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3hyG0IDL91BNg-jClBXnBA
Ventilation is key here. And a fume hood is really the only good way to work with these fumes. And scrubbing reaction fumes.
Stay informed. Stay safe.
Martijn.

And to add to kurt's warning: As soon as you break the seal the active carbon has a limited lifespan. The next day may be too little effect left. So regardless the minor and occasional exposure levels, the carbon will become less active fast!!
A false sense of safety is very dangerous.
Prevention before symptom treatment.
Martijn.

I won't argue as I believe Kurt and Matjin have certainly explained things here pretty well and both of them are correct. I would like to add that there have been many many cases (maybe I am more keen to them since I have been a plumber for many years) where a construction worker enters a sewer manhole an falls unconscious so his coworker tries to save him and immediately falls unconscious too and both die from some gas (usually methane) that has built up. It literally only takes seconds for you to become overwhelmed and thats it. A mask like I said before and I believe Martjin even said so; is a false sense of security and I would not rely on that as a safety device at all since IF it fails you have basically strapped a chamber of deadly gas to your face... good luck trying to take the mask off when those construction workers couldn't even turn around to get out before it was too late. On the subject of the fume hood yes you can build one A LOT cheaper than buying a used one. Although you may get lucky and one of your local universities is remodeling you might get a nice one for $500 USD or so. If I came across one for that price I would not hesitate to buy it if I hadn't already built my own.

Thank you everyone. Input is much appreciated.

I think anyone reading can take what they need to from this and learn if they have the desire and energy to read the above and the various links.

I would like to especially thank Kurt. Your input has meant a lot particularly in light of my tantrum a few weeks back.

You’re a good man Kurt and sincerely take back my comments. I have been reading your posts and what I said was complete nonsense. You are a well of information and someone I have and would like to continue to learn from.

You also have a forgiving soul which says a lot about a man I believe.

Thank you Kurt (and everyone else).

Jmk88

On the 1st of this month I received a PM from you wherein you apologized to me for our little spat/fight

I did not have time that day to replay but intend to the next day - but when I went to get on line the next day my computer crashed & was not able to resolve the problem until yesterday

That said - yes I fully except your apology 8)

For what is worth - I learned what I know from the worlds very best something like 12 -13 years ago when I joined this forum under my "old" user name kurt - which was changed later to kurtak --- so besides what you see posted under kurtak - there is even more posted under kurt & that started as a learning process - from the worlds very best

because I was so thankful for the HUDGE amount of advise I received from the worlds very best - I told myself that I would carry on the banner of "teaching" others coming to this forum later

I DO NOT need to do this anymore - I actually have many other things I could do with my time - but - because I received so much help & learned so much - from the worlds very best - I continue to pass on - not just what I now know - but what I know from learning from them

My only goal now is to continue to pass on that which was passed on to me --- & that includes helping to pass that knowledge on to you

Hopefully we can now move forward not only with things that help you or I - but to continue with the "purpose" of this forum - which is to pass on the HUDGE amount of knowledge/info that was started by some of the worlds very best

Kurt

Thank you Kurt.

I feel very humbled. I don’t know if I can say anything to reflect that.

Yes without this place I would never have got anywhere.

I hope in years to come I’m able to have half as much input as yourself and some others.

When it comes to topics such as this, the price of such information can not really be identified, in my opinion.

I hope you got your computer sorted! Thank you for your kind words again.

Latest posts

Back