Old Blister Copper as PM source

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snoman701 said:
What electron microscope do you have? I just bought a defunct one for the vacuum chamber....if you need any parts you are welcome to them.

I've still got that bag of dips I need to send you as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a JEOL JSM 25.
http://www.home.neab.net/gandalf/EM-lab/JSM-25/JSM-25-4.jpg
I started out with a JEOL JEM 100CX TEM but sold that a couple of years ago.
http://www.home.neab.net/gandalf/EM-lab/TEM100CX/index.htm

I had forgotten about the IC:s, but that's okay, I haven't had time to do anything to get my computers up and running again. Too much work. :)

Göran

If you dissolved a sample in AR and then use stannous it might be possible to detect gold but I think you would need to be very experienced in its use to see any color change that indicates gold.

@Platdigger. Its to small pices of scrap that I want to test. It need to be simple and fast. Otherwise I can as well do as snoman701 suggest. Just collect the copper and see pm as a bonus.

I have to carry the copper on the back and have a bad knee. Walking ok but not heavy load in terrain. Therefor I would like to avoid non blister copper and carry as little as possible. (gold in the backpack is light. Copper is heavy :) )

The refining operation would also be smaller if only blister. I can simply not test every copper nail and copper rivet i find if not a simple and fast test

Its not that bad. Walking gives exercise. Now i started to look on old copper too see if i find any visual diffrence. Have some ideas i will try. Blister should be less prone to oxide and might have a diffrent oxide strukture. Nothing else than to learn a new noble art. The art of blister recognition of witch i hope to become a master. : 8)

goldsilverpro said:
Looks like you're in between a rock and a hard place.

To be fair, that's a proper description of Norway.

Norway is a country clinging on to the side of a mountain range with the northern Atlantic and the Arctic sea waiting for it to fall in.

:-D

Göran

Hi Gøran!
As a Norwegian I have to put in a serious protest :) :lol:

This only partly correct, there are parts that have flat lush agricultural areas, like the areas around Trondheim, Stavanger and central valleys in the south estern parts. :roll:

But for this forum, the other parts may be of more interest, since it is of the least explored parts of Europe with regards for minerals and such.
In Finnmark you have plenty of placer gold, I heard a few years back that if you worked hard and had luck it was possible to make a living. (Should be better now since gold prices have increased significantly)
You have to wrestle it out of the arms of the helicopter-sized moscitoes that tend to inhabit the area though :mrgreen:

There is supposed to be an entire mountain of a Scandium bearing mineral, can't remeber which.

One of the reasons for the low exploration grade may be the rule, that any ore deposit with density higher than 4.5, belongs to the government.

Per-Ove

Norway is no problem for me. I am Swedish. We are so hard and relaxed in the same time. Norway is a piece of cake for us

Here is the secret to be as cool as a Swede :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBlppCk7Dx8

stella polaris said:
Norway is no problem for me. I am Swedish. We are so hard and relaxed in the same time. Norway is a piece of cake for us

Here is the secret to be as cool as a Swede :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBlppCk7Dx8
Wonderful! I can really relate to that. :D

Actually, I live slightly north of her. The video is made just two hours drive from me.

Göran

@Göran

May i guess u live in Umeå? or u live in the inland? I know the area well. Did study forestry at Agricultural University Umeå (Skogis) Had my part of moskitos when out on fieldwork. Quite irritating to make scientific studies and taking mesurments then a whole division kamekazes attack u.

stella polaris said:
@Göran

May i guess u live in Umeå? or u live in the inland? I know the area well. Did study forestry at Agricultural University Umeå (Skogis) Had my part of moskitos when out on fieldwork. Quite irritating to make scientific studies and taking measurements then a whole division kamekazes attack u.
You are quite correct, living in Umeå at the moment but lived inland in Vindeln in my youth. I have a cabin 90 km from the coast in a small village called Djupsund (at the lake system Åmträsket). I guess you have been in the vicinity during your studies, there are some research done by Skogis in a couple of small lakes close by.

Either the mosquitoes aren't that bad in the area or I'm just accustomed to it. If you go north to Finnmark in Norway or even northern Finland then you can experience some quite horrific scenes. I've seen people with mosquitoes sitting so close together that you couldn't see the color of the fabric below... I'm not kidding. That evening in northern Finland I tried just to grab the air in front of my face, and I got between four and ten mosquitoes in my hand each time. But I must say that the mosquito repellant sold in Finland was the best I've found anywhere. It worked, but you better not forget a spot if you want to live. :lol:

Göran

Back