Other hobbies/passions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Topher_osAUrus said:
...i used to LOVE playing magic the gathering.. Fun fun strategy game... Loved it..and I was pretty darn good too, I only loat a couple friday night magic meet up games..
Then when hearthstone came out, I got into that... Then when my kids popped out, All I could do was read and learn... So that's what Ive been doing for 4 years now (almost).

...but its been a long long time since I played a good D&D game... Far too long

Some friends and I used to play Magic at the store up the road, so often that the guy who owned it let us be there clear until Monday mornings around 2 Am. :lol: "he was normally closed Sundays" I started playing Beta/Unlimited, really got in to Fallen Empires and basically stopped playing and sold a bunch of my cards when Planeswalkers came out. I still have my decks and a few boxes left.

So many card games haha, Played Legend of the 5 rings, Highlander, starwars, shadowfist, etc. Not pokemon, but I have some of the original cards.

DDO "Dungeons and Dragons online" isn't bad. (Tabletop D&D is better) I played that for a few years . I might get back to playing Diablo 2 again soon. :mrgreen:

I love a good RPG. I started online by playing Ultima Online although I'm sure not many will remember it. I lost 2 years then to World of Warcraft although that's embarrassing. Then I played Eve online for 5 years and being involved in 8 hour fleet battles with over 1000 players was great until I remembered that life existed outside my chair. :D

No more online games for me I just don't have the time. Still like a good PC game though and I bought an HTC Vive this year which opens up a whole host of possibilities.

Haha!

Oh yah... Days of diablo2.. I remember when the expansion came out and I set up a loot bot to do SoJ runs while I was in school..

I literally played my xbox360 wayyy too much, I was top 100 in gears of war, and got up to rank 36 in the world in gears of war 2 when it came out. Call of duty games I had a 5-1 kd ratio... More sad than awesome..

Then I got the misses pregnant and got rid of all my games, as I had no extra time to devote outside of my family. Now, all I do is read the forum, or other like literature ....and of course deal with my fair share of dirty diapers and the diggin my way out of the doghouse(for one irrational reason or another)

One day I would very much like to get back into strategic card games... My wife played with me, but its not that fun when you win everytime..

I used to play CCGs--Magic was my gateway drug, then on to Warlords, L5R, and Vampire.

I'm still playing a Pathfinder (D&D: The Next Generation, lol) game on Wednesday nights. Soon to be "every other Weds night or so" cuz I'm running out of free time.

Any other "gun builders" here? I have been accumulating parts kits to rebuild into semi autos.
So far I have a Suomi M-31, Sten Mk3, and a few PPS-43's, and a Sterling L2A3 on the way.
I am aware of all the legalities in rebuilding these, and plan on following all the laws.
Weapons Guild and Weaponeer are good websites for info on this "hobby".

Looking for more parts kits like Swedish K m-45, Sten Mk2 and Mk5, Uzi and Mac, as well as any other similar type gun parts kits. If anybody has any parts kits or semi auto parts they may want to sell or trade for metals, let me know. Maybe C&R (curios and relics) guns as well.

Also plan on making a derringer and break action shotgun from scratch eventually.

Jim

I had started looking into building my own guns a few years ago but health issues ended that. I still have a decent amount of machinery that would have been a lot of help, but I have let much of it go. I just can't part with my hole through lathe even though I haven't used it for anything but small projects in three years now. I haven't visited the Weaponeer site in quite a while and was never very active but I did do a lot reading over there. These days I just stick to shooting what I can as some of the bigger calibers just hurt to bad to shoot them anymore. I would still love to have a Sten though, I passed on a chance at a legal Mk3 last year and have regretted it ever since. I have had way to many hobbies over the years and need to get rid of a few more.

Shark said:
I had started looking into building my own guns a few years ago but health issues ended that. I still have a decent amount of machinery that would have been a lot of help, but I have let much of it go. I just can't part with my hole through lathe even though I haven't used it for anything but small projects in three years now. I haven't visited the Weaponeer site in quite a while and was never very active but I did do a lot reading over there. These days I just stick to shooting what I can as some of the bigger calibers just hurt to bad to shoot them anymore. I would still love to have a Sten though, I passed on a chance at a legal Mk3 last year and have regretted it ever since. I have had way to many hobbies over the years and need to get rid of a few more.
The Sten was an very underrated weapon.
No point in trying to aim,you just have to put enough time in so that you learn to pitch it right.
Close quarter's they are hard to beat even now.
I have an interesting manual "Restricted Army code No 7102B/26/GSTP/3356"
Skill at arm's personal training manual dedicated to the old girl.
The fixed firing pin and open bolt always gave me the heeby geeby's.
but as you need not aim my left dominant eye did not affect work.

Another "jack-of-all-trades" here.

-Gem cutting; faceting, carving & cabochons, attached are a "Rose de France" amethyst and a sapphire.
-Blacksmithing; mostly tools as I need them.
-Prospecting - been panning for gold approx. 18 years now.
-Geology - amateur geologist here, sorta came along with the prospecting part.
-Mineral collector - collecting specimens, only Swedish ones.
-Paint making; I do occasional oil paintings, but also paint buildings and for that I typically do my own paints.

Probably forgot something - but I can't think of it right now.

Attachments

• Ammy1.JPG
    Ammy1.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 262
  • Montana1.JPG
    Montana1.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 262
Hi all.
Been holding a low profile for a few weeks, since I'm visiting the family in the Philippines. This morning my kids found this beauty outside the house.
I'd guess it's just below [stt]20cm /8 inches[/stt] across.
I got closer now. I'll have to adjust the size.
Some where between 15 and 18 cm across.
20170814_105111.jpg
Believe it or not, I'm facinated and intrigued not only by minerals, precious metals, sience and so on. Insects, animals and culture can totally mesmerize me too ;-) :-D
Edit for size

jimdoc, I'm skeeeepy over at the Guild.

jimdoc said:
Any other "gun builders" here? I have been accumulating parts kits to rebuild into semi autos.
So far I have a Suomi M-31, Sten Mk3, and a few PPS-43's, and a Sterling L2A3 on the way.
I am aware of all the legalities in rebuilding these, and plan on following all the laws.
Weapons Guild and Weaponeer are good websites for info on this "hobby".

Looking for more parts kits like Swedish K m-45, Sten Mk2 and Mk5, Uzi and Mac, as well as any other similar type gun parts kits. If anybody has any parts kits or semi auto parts they may want to sell or trade for metals, let me know. Maybe C&R (curios and relics) guns as well.

Also plan on making a derringer and break action shotgun from scratch eventually.

Jim

I think it's a fairly beat up male Cecropia Moth. I've only seen one of those during my lifetime. It was on a wall near the entrance to my condo when I lived in Malibu. It stayed in the exact same spot for several days.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=cecropia+moth+australia&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTp668g9zWAhVF2oMKHUPWAEgQsAQIKw&biw=1138&bih=481&dpr=1.2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyalophora_cecropia

They are beutiful too.
But since this was in southern Philippines I tend to lean to Atlas moth :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacus_atlas

Yggdrasil said:
They are beutiful too.
But since this was in southern Philippines I tend to lean to Atlas moth :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacus_atlas
My error. It is an Atlas Moth. I didn't catch the part about your being in the Philippines. Looks like the biggest difference is those big spots on the upper wings of the Cecropia.

Back