Platinum Refining slide show

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, I have platinum ash which I have got from catalytic convertor after hard-working. Now anybody can tell me what will be done to convert it into pure platinum. Which type of chemical agent mix to melt it on furnace (Any solution, method, idea to make it a pure platinum coin). Appreciable If you have some videos or file to share.
Please............... :cry:

Thanks

suhailkhan8547 said:
Hi everyone, I have platinum ash which I have got from catalytic convertor after hard-working. Now anybody can tell me what will be done to convert it into pure platinum. Which type of chemical agent mix to melt it on furnace (Any solution, method, idea to make it a pure platinum coin). Appreciable If you have some videos or file to share.
Please............... :cry:

Thanks

What exactly is "platinum ash"?
And what exactly did you do to get it?

Jim

Hi Jim, I exactly got it from catalytic convertor. First of all, I collected some catalytic convertor and drop them in a chemical approximate 8-10 days. After that I got platinum in very-2 small situation with many impurities. Then I dropped this in AR solution and heat it some minutes. Everything had mixed. After some time, I mixed sodium sulfade in it and It started to convert into platinum ash. It is 240 grams. Now I don't know what to do to continue with this process......I want to make it pure platinum coin. If you have any video or pdf please share to me. I want to do this...........

Thanks to all

Lazersteve's platinum DVD is worth buying, as are all of his videos.
There is a lot of information on the forum also, if you search.
You said "drop them in a chemical approximate 8-10 days"
What chemical? How many converters? What type of converters?
You should state all possible info to get a proper answer.
Jim

lazersteve said:
All,

Since I was off for Veterans Day today, I decided to take advantage of the free time and make a Platinum Slide show for the Forum...

Platinum Refining

Let me know what you think.

Here's a photo of the resulting 18.1 gram Platinum Bar:

pt_bar.jpg

The photo does the bar no justice. It's glaring to look at it is so shiny. I had to turn off the flash due to the glare.

Needless to say, I had a wonderful day today. 8)

Steve

I have a question, in the video you got to an orange powder, how did you get from powder to metal?

Another, in this process if you had platinum and rhodium, when dissolving, will both be dissolved? if so, who do you separate?

There are several routes from the orange/yellow powder to Pt sponge.

The traditional method is slow incineration of the colored powder to drive off the ammonium chloride. My DVD Fundamentals of Platinum and Palladium demonstrates this method.

Since making the DVD I typically employ either Zn/HCl or NH4OH/Hydrazine, I prefer the Zn route as it is relatively quick and makes an easy to handle product.

After making the sponge by one of the methods above (or others) simply melt the sponge in a high temperature dish with Hydrogen/Oxygen. Acetylene/Oxygen will work, but there are risk of losses and the final product is not as clean.

Search the forum for information on the methods I mention above.

Steve

lazersteve said:
There are several routes from the orange/yellow powder to Pt sponge.

The traditional method is slow incineration of the colored powder to drive off the ammonium chloride. My DVD Fundamentals of Platinum and Palladium demonstrates this method.

Since making the DVD I typically employ either Zn/HCl or NH4OH/Hydrazine, I prefer the Zn route as it is relatively quick and makes an easy to handle product.

After making the sponge by one of the methods above (or others) simply melt the sponge in a high temperature dish with Hydrogen/Oxygen. Acetylene/Oxygen will work, but there are risk of losses and the final product is not as clean.

Search the forum for information on the methods I mention above.

Steve

Do you mean you get the sponge after slow incineration? and then melt in a high temperature dish with Hyrogen/Oxygen or Acetylene/Oxygen.
Did I understand this correctly?

How much for the DVD? how could we do?, I live in Costa Rica.

Yes.

Check my web store for DVDs and supplies:

http://goldrecovery.us/pricing.asp

The DVD is $25 plus shipping.

Steve

hello friend im new in this topic plz tell me wheres is find platinum powder from copmuter scrap and how can i pic this plz im waiting

Computers scrap is not the place to be looking for realistic quantities of Platinum.

I would suggest you find some catalytic converters, dental scrap, or medical scrap if you want to have a reasonable amount of Pt to work with.

Steve

There is a Turkish paper on the web with regards to platinum from catalytic converters that uses hydrogen peroxide instead of nitric.
BigDallas said:
Oh ok thanks, g_axelsson.

That is what I thought, but my main problem is that I have been encountering some difficulties finding some nitric acid here in the Czech Republic. I am trying to make some calls to some chemical and laboratory stores here.

Thanks again. Dallas

There are many suppliers of H2O2, and I think hydrogen peroxide can be acquired in barrel lots.
rebekahs is where I order my hydrogen peroxide from but the problem with
small batch orders of 35% is that it requires a hazmat cert to ship which last time I looked
adds $35 to the cost, so it is impractical to buy less than several gallons at a time. It does
produce less toxic fumes in AR use.

What I really appreciate in this forum is that I have been trying to get the formulas to recover
platinum from my concentrate and it looks like this is the place.

samuel-a said:
in most cases, 35/ h2o2 cost more then 70/ nitrc acid per liter

find a farmer 35% H2O2 is common for livestock. I think it is sold at tractor supply I know it is at the feed store.

@ $28.00 a gallon

Eric

etack said:
find a farmer 35% H2O2 is common for livestock. I think it is sold at tractor supply I know it is at the feed store.

@ $28.00 a gallon

Eric

Thanks, the stuff I get is food grade which I use in my detox practice for patients, but food grade is not required for this.

etack said:

@ $28.00 a gallon

Eric

Thanks Eric, the type of hydrogen peroxide I use is food grade which I use for my patients in detox. Food grade is not required
for this application, though I do wonder if the % recovery and recovery time might be improved with food grade vs industrial.

If you have your Platinum/palladium in solution, why not just hook up a battery and a couple resistant (titanium or platinum group) electrodes and plate the metals out on the cathode?

If you have known pure solutions this could be a viable idea, but rarely are Pt solutions from scrap pure, in fact they are usually very dirty.

Steve

Does yellow color of precipitate indicate pure of platinum and orange color precipitate indicate dirty present?

Color and fluffiness of the precipitate do indicate purity.

Very pure will be yellow and of low density. Highly compact chloroplatinate salts are often of lower purity.

Back