Please Lend Me Your Opinions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I took more pics as well. I believe the blue sticker says made in Mexico.
well, if its pewter it will melt on the stove. If not maybe aluminum . If you scratch it and drop a little HCL or muriatic on it it should fizzle.I bought a tray last week and it said 505 on the bottom. It was aluminum. worth $45, I got it at a thrift shop for $2.

As far as silver goes, slide the neodymium magnet down the platter. If the magnet doesn't slide slower than a coin or a washer, then the platter is not silver. Probably not in any appreciable amount, anyway. If the magnet slides slowly, it may be an indication of silver content, or copper.

Ok - so you live in the Bay area --- there should be LOTS of "we buy gold & silver" shops all around the bay area

I am sure that at least "some" (even it is just a few) of those shops have an XRF

So I suggest that you start calling around to those shops & find one that has an XRF - take it to them & have them test it with their XRF

That way you can stop "guessing" what it is & stop asking us to "guess" what it is

Kurt
I apologize if I came off that way. But I do live about 3 hours away from San Francisco and I could feasibly take that trip to have that done. However, since it is a very long trip and gas is hella expensive right now, I figured it couldn't hurt to confer with the experts here in this forum in order to learn whether there were any tests I could perform by myself at home to rule things out and narrow it down before I make that trip. That just made more sense to me. I wasn't intending to put anyone out. I just know that this would be the best place to find the information I am looking for since most members here are way more knowledgeable on this subject than I am. That's all.

I apologize if I came off that way. But I do live about 3 hours away from San Francisco and I could feasibly take that trip to have that done. However, since it is a very long trip and gas is hella expensive right now, I figured it couldn't hurt to confer with the experts here in this forum in order to learn whether there were any tests I could perform by myself at home to rule things out and narrow it down before I make that trip. That just made more sense to me. I wasn't intending to put anyone out. I just know that this would be the best place to find the information I am looking for since most members here are way more knowledgeable on this subject than I am. That's all.
How about the measurements?

Once more: have you tested a piece with HCl?
Please answer. You ask for help, and ignore our input? Do you want help or just keep us occupied?

The stamp on Mexican non-sterling is often "Heche en Mexico" - which is "Made in Mexico". Could that be what the stamp says?

The stamp on Mexican non-sterling is often "Heche en Mexico" - which is "Made in Mexico". Could that be what the stamp says?
A lot of "sterling" made in Mexico is anything but that.
Same with jewelry that is made in Italy.
Actually most "925" necklaces I've seen from Italy were fake. I don't bother buying them anymore.
Stuff from Mexico, I give extra scrutiny.

Back