Processing Sterling Silver without nitric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ilikePM said:
Hey GSP. I found this post from you that answers my question earlier regarding using straight sterling. It makes a lot of sense.

"In the 80s/90s, when I had my last refinery, I had one 30gal silver cell operating most of the time. I'm not big on sleeping with silver cells so I usually ran it about 12 hours.day. I probably averaged about 1000 oz/week, mainly from sterling, big contact points, and x-ray film. Most of my silver was cast into 10 and 100 oz bars and sold at a premium. When I first started the refinery, I ran the sterling straight through the cell. Replenishing the cell every couple of days got old fast. I soon switched over to dissolving the sterling and the points and cementing the silver out with copper.

The 2 processes are sort of, six of one, half dozen of another - same amount of acid, same amount of dissolving. In practice, though, semi-purifying the silver before putting it in the cell takes a lot less labor, when all is told, and it is easier."
One quick comment. That sort of gives the impression that I initially melted the large contact points and ran them directly through the cell. For safety reasons, I never melted them due to the cadmium content that is most always present in points. I always dissolved them and cemented the silver out.

I must admit that, once, when I was young and foolish and had my first-ever batch of points, I did melt them. There were bright red toxic cadmium cobwebs everywhere - in the furnace, on the tongs and mold, and tons floating around in in the air. Never again did I do that. Screw-ups are often the best teachers.

Has anyone considered installing a low value fuse on their silver cells? This way you have some protection just in case of a short when you are not looking.

A common suggestion is to include a small light bulb in the circuit (like a car tail light bulb). The brightness of the bulb gives some indication of the current flowing through the circuit, and it also serves to limit the current.

Dave

goldsilverpro said:
ilikePM said:
Ok, so the nitric acid must be very diluted then. Can anyone recommend a water to nitric solution? Would 10% nitric acid and the rest water work? From what I understand a week acid solution will be influenced by current to deposit crystals on the other end of the circuit. The key here is a delicate balance between acid concentration and current. I am guessing this balance should equalize on it's own after running the cell for a while.
The "key" you're missing is the silver concentration in the solution. Just nitric and water won't work. You must start with dissolved silver in the solution to the tune of about 60 to 80g/liter. You can use sterling silver for this. The 7.5%-9% copper in the sterling won't hurt and will actually help produce better crystal. You dissolve the silver in a minimum amount of nitric acid diluted 50/50 with distilled water. If you dissolve the silver in an open top container, it takes about 1.22 ml of nitric plus 1.22ml of distilled water to dissolve a gram of pure silver and about 1.5ml of nitric plus water to dissolve a gram of sterling. If you do this right, you'll probably end up with about 1 or 2% free nitric in it which is OK. For each liter of solution, I would use about 2 - 3 amps. One amp will produce about 3 to 4 grams of silver crystal per hour.

GSP - I think I understand the above for making the 'starter' solution. Let's say I make a 1 liter solution by disolving say 70 grams of Sterling in the nitric/h2o. This solution would be silver nitrate with copper in it? Or, would that be a mixture of silver nitrate and copper nitrate? In the next phase, the electrolysis phase, how much silver can I expect to percipitate from Sterling bars before having to make a new starter solution?

From reading below I'm kind of getting the idea that the starter solution can be 'recycled' enumerable times. Is this correct? The title of this thread first led me to believe that nitric acid was not needed - that all you had to do was start the electrolsys in a solution of copper nitrate. So, maybe my question would be - how much silver can you expect with each cycle? I have about 25 Toz's of Sterling that I want to process as cheaply as possible. If the process is to expensive then I'l just melt the sterling down and keep it as sterling bars.
Thanks,
Mike

GSP - I think I understand the above for making the 'starter' solution. Let's say I make a 1 liter solution by disolving say 70 grams of Sterling in the nitric/h2o. This solution would be silver nitrate with copper in it? Or, would that be a mixture of silver nitrate and copper nitrate? In the next phase, the electrolysis phase, how much silver can I expect to percipitate from Sterling bars before having to make a new starter solution?

From reading below I'm kind of getting the idea that the starter solution can be 'recycled' enumerable times. Is this correct? The title of this thread first led me to believe that nitric acid was not needed - that all you had to do was start the electrolsys in a solution of copper nitrate. So, maybe my question would be - how much silver can you expect with each cycle? I have about 25 Toz's of Sterling that I want to process as cheaply as possible. If the process is to expensive then I'l just melt the sterling down and keep it as sterling bars.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

I could probably write at least 20 or 30 pages on the silver cell, but that's not going to happen. Instead, I'll just give you some non-technical information about what happens in the cell.

(1) Besides pure water, a basic silver cell contains 3 chemicals: Silver nitrate = AgNO3, Copper Nitrate = Cu(NO3)2, and a little Nitric Acid = HNO3. When in solution, each splits into positive and negative ions (charged species). For these three, you would have these 3 positive ions in solution: H+, Ag+, and Cu+2. The only negative ion in solution would be the nitrate ion, NO3-. All solutions must have an equal number of positive and negative charges. For each H+ or Ag+ ion present, there must be one NO3- ion and, for each Cu+2 ion, you would need 2 NO3- ions. Note that I could have written Cu++, instead of Cu+2 - same thing.

(2) Note that there is a finite number of nitrate ions, NO3-. If the solution is made up properly, with plenty of silver and not too much copper, only silver will deposit at the cathode - no copper. As the silver plates out, it is replaced by silver and copper ions from the sterling anode. However, since each copper ion requires 2 nitrate ions and, since there is only so much nitrate ion available, the silver in solution will decrease. There's more to it than that but, if you do the math, you'll find that, for each gram of copper dissolving at the anode, the amount of silver in solution is reduced by 3.4 grams. That's really all you need to know.

(3) To prevent copper from co-depositing with the silver, the silver concentration in the solution should be kept above about 25g/l and the copper below about 75g/l. There is some variation in this, but that is a good rule to follow. If the copper is low, you might get away with a little less silver

(4) Say you started a one liter solution by dissolving 70g of 90/10 sterling in a minimum amount of nitric acid. The silver concentration would be 63g/l and the copper 7g/l. This cell should work until the silver is reduced to 25g/l or a reduction of 63-25 = 38 grams of silver. To eliminate that much silver from the solution, 38/3.4 = 11.2 grams of copper would have been dissolved from the anode. In other words, this would happen after 11.2/.1 = 112 grams of sterling had been dissolved. Time-wise, if you were running only 1 amp through the cell, this would happen in about 25-30 hours of operation. At that point, you would have to remove part of the solution and replace it with enough silver nitrate solution (silver dissolved in nitric) to build up the silver in the solution to an acceptable level. If you add back fairly pure silver solution, you will also reduce the copper in the cell somewhat. The silver from the waste cell solution is cemented on copper and then dissolved in nitric to make fresh solution. To know how much cell solution to remove and how much silver solution to replace it with requires some slightly heady math.

(5) The moral of this story is that it's a lot of extra work to run sterling anodes in the cell because you have to constantly mess with it. If you first dissolved that sterling you were going to use as anodes in nitric acid, cemented the silver out with copper and rinsed it well, you would have about 99% silver. If you used the 99% silver as anodes, you would be able to run about 10 times more silver though the cell before you had to mess with the solution. And, whether you ran 90% or 99% silver through the cell, it would end up taking exactly the same amount of nitric acid, when all is said and done.

Chris

Hi folks. Here is an update with images from my experiments. I have not been able to grow copper out of the cell. I tried using a copper tube for the cathode while using stainless steel for the anode, and it didn't grow red copper onto the tube. It doesn't really mater since I have been able to grow very pure silver crystals anyways. The title of this topic is misleading since you do need nitric acid in the whole process. I realized this is essentially a silver cell.

I tried using straight sterling for an anode, and as it dissolved the silver did not crystalize onto the cathode, but instead it turned into a grey powder ( just like LS's test ). So far I have been reusing the electrolyte solution and it seems to be holding up. I had processed some sterling in nitric acid, and simply poured the solution without cementing into the cell and nice silver crystals grew on the cathode. I also made some cemented silver anodes and replaced them as they dissolved in the cell. I did notice that eventually the electrolyte does tap out, and I can tell when it happens because crystals stop growing, and the solution becomes a crystal clear blue solution. Also the smell of nitric acid goes away, and it's hard for a new anode to dissolve in the solution. So I simply added some new ( silver cemented out ) copper nitrate solution into the cell, with a fresh new anode, and the process picked right back up again. Sometimes you can actually see the silver in solution as very tiny little specks of silver reflect light off of them. When you cant see them anymore it's about time to replenish the solution.

I am using a stainless steal spatula that I removed the wooden handle and bent into shape. It provides a lot of surface area for silver to grow off of. I put a 10 amp fuse on the cathode just in case of a short since I leave it on 24/7. The circuit pulls around 4 amps at 3v with a PC power supply. I am using a plastic bottle for an anode slime trap, and it seems to be working well. It also shields the anode from any potential short.

Attachments

• firstIngot.jpg
    firstIngot.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 462
  • silver_2.jpg
    silver_2.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 462
  • silver_1.jpg
    silver_1.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 462
  • mySilverCell_2.jpg
    mySilverCell_2.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 462
  • mySilverCell_1.jpg
    mySilverCell_1.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 461
yes I got to put one in there. I noticed a darker spot on the lower corner of the cathode. I will have to remove that part and refine it again. What is this dark powder that remains after dissolving the anode? Copper, silver? Is it worth saving?

I have an old Stainless Steel ice cream freezer can that is about 6" diameter and 12" tall. Would that work? I know with electrolysis that the distance from anode to cathode and the ion concentration determines how much current will flow. From all the pics i've seen here, 2" or 3" inches must be about the right distance to use for SIlver? I use to de-rust large cast iron tools with electrolysis and I would crank the amperage up to 20 amps and let er go. I have large 20 amp variacs and can vary the voltage. The cast iron and the solution would get boiling hot. But it removed the rust very quick. From what I read here, people have said that 3 volts is apparently the ideal voltage for a silver cell. But, I suspect the thing one really needs to control is the current. What is the ideal current in a silver cell? My variacs have a volt meter and an amp meter on the output circuit.

If I can use the ice cream can then how to suspend the silver inside is the next question. Maybe I could pour the silver into long rods? Or, what if I suspended a bar at the top of the solution then inserted a plastic sleeve around the inside of the can for about the first 3"?? That might keep silver crystals from growing out to the bag containing the bar. But, would the plastic add contamination to the silver?

Then my next question is how to connect the electric wire to the anode? I have some non-lead silver solder that I bought from Ace Hardware about 20 years ago and plenty of flux. Any reason that would not work? I could keep the connection point out of the solution.

How many crystals, by weight, could I grow before having to clean them out and recharge the solution with such a setup?

Mike

This is amazing!
My silver never looks like this - I am referring to the picture of LazerSteve with the silver in the silver bag.
I apologise for my complete ignorance, but is it possible to refine gold using electricity?

Best regards,

Will

amazing post!

i saw a company on the internet selling a Electrolytic Gold Refining Plant.

is it possible to refine gold via electrolysis? or are these some sort of scams?

Yes, you can refine gold in an electrolytic cell, called the Wohlwill process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wohlwill_process

Not as common for the small refiner as there is a lot of gold locked up in the electrolyte.

Göran

Hey steve, i have a question, i thought sterling silver is pure silver, if it is, why go through this process to purify it more?

Tim

ilikesilver said:
Hey steve, i have a question, i thought sterling silver is pure silver, if it is, why go through this process to purify it more?

Tim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_silver

i must have read this post 8 to 9 times, one thing i dont understand is that if your removing copper into the solution and growing your crystals using .925 silver / starting with, why couldnt you use less quality silver like .800? would the copper saturate the liquid to much?

tim

ilikesilver said:
i must have read this post 8 to 9 times, one thing i dont understand is that if your removing copper into the solution and growing your crystals using .925 silver / starting with, why couldnt you use less quality silver like .800? would the copper saturate the liquid to much?

tim

The less pure your feedstock, the faster your electrolyte will be contaminated. This can result in contamination of your silver crystals if you run too much. You can run lower quality feedstock, but you have to replace your electrolyte more frequently.

Dave

Dave you can mess with the electrolyte by adding more nitric to dissolve more silver and so decrease the copper concentration, it works for a while and I'm sure it could for a long time if you had the right testing equipment, one of my friends apparently has been running his large cells on the same electrolyte for months running mixed silver quality bars but monitoring the acidity of the solution, don't ask me thats over my comprehension :shock: :oops:

Back