Pyrolysis reactor

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flyfisherman said:
nickvc said:
Hey Kevin well done a process that works for you and is fairly quick.
I would be a little concerned with the lead so I hope you have good extraction and scrubbing to remove them safely, you know what health and safety rules are like these days..
Well, this process works, but is it "fairly quick"? It looks like the whole deal takes 10-12hrs, expose the worker/s to the harmfull lead and other compounds, heat, etc. Wouldn't it be better to just pyrolize the material till it turn white, when grind it to powder, magnetically remove the legs, and concentrate the gold wires with a gold pen? After this gold laden concentrate can be treated with gold desolving chemicals, gold powder droped, washed,etc,etc. This way alot of time and money can be saved. Just my humble opinion, no intention to criticize other refiners methods.

No offense taken by me but look logically at the processes you suggested instead, that will take a lot more time and resources than what Kevin is using and if it works for him and his customers are happy then all is good.
I'm not saying he has it perfected and we have questioned some of his results but it's a work in progress and I'm sure he will keep tweaking his processes to improve them.

nickvc said:
flyfisherman said:
nickvc said:
Hey Kevin well done a process that works for you and is fairly quick.
I would be a little concerned with the lead so I hope you have good extraction and scrubbing to remove them safely, you know what health and safety rules are like these days..
Well, this process works, but is it "fairly quick"? It looks like the whole deal takes 10-12hrs, expose the worker/s to the harmfull lead and other compounds, heat, etc. Wouldn't it be better to just pyrolize the material till it turn white, when grind it to powder, magnetically remove the legs, and concentrate the gold wires with a gold pen? After this gold laden concentrate can be treated with gold desolving chemicals, gold powder droped, washed,etc,etc. This way alot of time and money can be saved. Just my humble opinion, no intention to criticize other refiners methods.

No offense taken by me but look logically at the processes you suggested instead, that will take a lot more time and resources than what Kevin is using and if it works for him and his customers are happy then all is good.
I'm not saying he has it perfected and we have questioned some of his results but it's a work in progress and I'm sure he will keep tweaking his processes to improve them.
"remove the legs, and concentrate the gold wires with a gold pen?"

I am a newbie observer. What is a gold pen and can you point me to a thread explaining it?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

It should be "gold pan", but who am I to complain about spelling. :lol:

Göran

g_axelsson said:
It should be "gold pan", but who am I to complain about spelling. [emoji38]

Göran
Thanks. I should have figured it. I appreciate the response.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Worth adding at this point that bond wires are practically impossible to pan. Pans work well for 'round' shaped alluvial gold, but bond wires are generally long and curly.

The blue bowl is very effective as long as you screen your material so that everything going into the bowl is similar size.

There is just one thing I don't understand about panning or bleu bowling gold wires. Why would someone take the effort in doing this as you just can put the incinerated powder in AR? The solids can be filtered of and almost all of your gold is in solution in the filtrate.

The one reason I can come up with is that you expect a lot of carbon in your powder, wich can adsorb gold in solution.

archeonist said:
There is just one thing I don't understand about panning or bleu bowling gold wires. Why would someone take the effort in doing this as you just can put the incinerated powder in AR? The solids can be filtered of and almost all of your gold is in solution in the filtrate.

The one reason I can come up with is that you expect a lot of carbon in your powder, wich can adsorb gold in solution.

actually I was wondering about the same thing - I know from first-hand expirience that It is a bad idea to put your material straight from incineration in to acid - the extra fine ash is harder to filter than metastannic acid; But after ""washing" the material a few times... maybe?

all I know is that I am having very hard time mastering IC gold recovery, it almost made me consider certain forbidden "moist technique"... this forum did an exellent job scaring me out of it, though, so I never tried it, instead deciding to master the correct way...that said, I am still struggling but what little progress I have made is because of this comment:
kernels said:
Ball Milling to below 1mm is not anywhere near fine enough, if you look at the material through a microscope you will see many bond wires still caught in the epoxy-carbon at that scale. I find that everything has to go through a 60-mesh sieve before the vast majority of bond wires are freed.

The problem with not milling the material fine enough is that gravity separation doesn't work well on bond wires with carbon parachutes still attached.

I also find that if I sieve to 100-mesh I get too many bond wires caught by the sieve, 60-mesh seems to be the sweet spot for pyrolized and ball milled ICs.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=25489

I got myself a SS technical fabric with 0.2*0.2 mm size eyes (~70-80 mesh, yankee size), tried it on small scale and it really made a difference; getting ready for a larger size run right now, so I am very interested In any and all discussions on the subject :), of course I know and read patnor1011`s legendary thread on the subject and Tzoax`s thread is pretty good also, but I would really appreciate any and all pointers in the right direction...

kernels said:
Worth adding at this point that bond wires are practically impossible to pan. Pans work well for 'round' shaped alluvial gold, but bond wires are generally long and curly.

The blue bowl is very effective as long as you screen your material so that everything going into the bowl is similar size.
I think that gold pan would work just fine. It could recover surprisingly small flakes of gold. Close to my place here in Utah we have gold placer where gold is really, realy small and thin (most flakes are under 0.5mm and smaller), but regular round pan would catch specs so small as barely visible with naked eye. Of course blue bowl or even miller table would work too, but they are alot more expensive.

But if bleu bowling is just fine, why would we consider incinerate after pyrolising? Why would we consider pyrolising after all? Why can't we just ball milling non pyrolised/incinerated and bleu bowl the powder??

archeonist said:
But if bleu bowling is just fine, why would we consider incinerate after pyrolising? Why would we consider pyrolising after all? Why can't we just ball milling non pyrolised/incinerated and bleu bowl the powder??
Gold is very soft. If you ball mill unincinerated ICs, the milling process will smear the fine gold bond wires all over the bits of epoxy base of the ICs. There will be no separation in a blue bowl or panning because the bond wires will no longer be wires. They'll be a gold coating all over the pieces of IC. Imagine taking a gold ring and rubbing it all over an IC. It's like rubbing it on a touchstone. It will leave a streak of itself. The wires are so fine, there'll be nothing left of them after milling.

Dave

archeonist said:

Non pyrolyzed/incinerated ICs will NOT mill to the FINE powder NEEDED to liberate the bonding wires !!!

Epoxy is very hard & though it is hard it is not brittle - consequently trying to run them in a ball mill (without first pyrolyzing &/or incinerating) you will be lucky to break “thin” chips into chunks & with “thick” chips you will be lucky to maybe break off corners & round off edges --- You certainly will not break them down to the fine powder NEEDED to liberate the bonding wires

Even with a hammer mill at best you will only break them down to smaller “chunks” of epoxy – it will not turn them to the “fine” powder needed to liberate the bonding wires

Pyrolyzing (burning off the volatiles to “reduce” the epoxy to carbon) is required so they can be milled to the fine powder needed to liberate the bonding wires

Once the carbon is milled to a “fine” powder (goes through an 80 mesh sifting screen) most of the fine carbon can then be washed off by method of your choice (panning, blue bowl, sluice box, or table) to provide a “concentrate”

The concentrate can then be “incinerated” to reduce any carbon that did not wash off to ash

Once you are sure the carbon is ALL reduced to ash in your concentrates – you can then process the concentrates by ether chemical leaching or by smelting

Even if you could mill the IC chips without first pyrolyzing & incinerating them (which just isn’t going to happen) it would require such extensive “over milling” to break the epoxy down to a powder fine enough to liberate the bonding wires that you would end up with the problem that Dave pointed out

Also – epoxy has a “much” higher density then carbon &/or ash --- so even if you could mill the epoxy to a fine enough powder to liberate the bonding wires – it would NOT concentrate (wash) down to a concentrate for the efficient &/or effective leaching process & smelting would be out of the question unless you “incinerated” the milled epoxy before smelting anyway

Kurt

archeonist said:

Yes – you can leach your pyrolyzed/incinerated chips (after milling) without first concentrating them

However – (as you pointed out) getting all of the (pyrolyzed) carbon reduced to (incinerated) ash is a problem (& yes carbon will absorb gold from solution) --- that is because in order to reduce the carbon to ash it needs to be exposed to oxygen when heat is applied --- therefore the carbon needs to be spread “very” thin – or the carbon under the surface will not reduce to ash due to the lack of oxygen getting to it – or – you have to “blow” oxygen through the carbon (if it’s not spread thin) so that oxygen contacts ALL the carbon beneath the surface

So – by not first concentrating (washing) off the vast majority of your “fine” milled pyrolyzed carbon – you are going to spend a HUGE amount of time incinerating all the carbon to “insure” all of the carbon has been reduced to ash

Also – if you don’t first concentrate your pyrolyzed/incinerated (pyrolyzed – then incinerated) milled ash it will require MUCH more chemical to do the leaching because you have to “fully” saturate the fully volume of material you are leaching – AND – then you will also need to use a MUCH greater volume of water to “TRY” to wash all the chem out of that LARGE volume of ash

I say “TRY” to wash all the chem out because with each wash you have a “diminishing” return & the more material you have to wash – the harder it is going to be to get all the chem washed out --- in other words – the more material you are trying to wash – the GREATER the amount of wash water needed --- which means MORE waste to deal with in the end

To put it in perspective --- lets say you have one cup of ash to leach (without concentrating it) its going to take a cup (plus/minus a bit) of chem to leach it – then its going to take another 4 – 5 cups of water to wash the chem out (so 5 – 6 cups total to leach & wash)

Now – lets double that to 2 cups – so your starting with double the chem (2 cups) --- BUT – its going to take MORE then double the water to get that chem washed out --- something more like 10 – 12 cups water (due to the “diminishing” returns of trying to wash more chem from more material)

So – you have not just more then doubled the amount chem needed for leaching – but you have also MORE then doubled the wash water needed to insure all the chem is washed out – meaning you have also MORE then doubled your waste --- in other words – the washing out (of the chem) is not simply increased “equal to” the increase in material being washed – rather – it is increased by a rater GREATER then the increase in material

Therefore – the more you can concentrate the material “before” leaching the less chem needed for leaching in the first place AND the amount of wash water will also be reduced “substantially” !!!

And that is because the diminishing returns of each wash is more effective when you are washing the chem from a smaller (concentrated) amount of material

As a final note (on leaching the milled ash of IC chips) --- keep in mind that “ash” is alkaline (basic) so we are not only talking about using enough acid to dissolve the gold in the ash – but you also need enough acid to “overcome” the alkaline nature of the ash so that the acid can dissolve the gold

In other words – ash being basic is going to have a neutralizing effect on the acid & so enough acid needs to be used to overcome the neutralizing effect of the ash --- or you can wash “most” of the ash off to start with so you are not needing a bunch of acid just to overcome the neutralizing effect of the ash

To put this all in perspective – I have processed MANY 50 – 60 pound batches of IC chips --- that is right close to a 5 gallon bucket full of (ball milled) carbon/ash --- can you imagine trying to reduce that much fine carbon to ash - & then trying to leach it without concentrating ---- I can’t – the amount of chem & waste created from washing would be HUGE

I am able to reduce that 5 gallon bucket of carbon/ash to a bit less then half a gallon of concentrates which can then be effectively reduced to ash & then leached with minimal chems & minimal washing out of the chem

Bottom line – is that if you want to be successful at processing IC chips (epoxy) follow the instructions as they have been laid out by Pat, myself & a number of other members of this forum that have put a GREAT deal of time into methods “that work” & then taken the time to post those methods here as the “proper” lead for others to follow --- if there were other – better methods – we would be talking about it here on the forum

Kurt

flyfisherman said:
kernels said:

I think that gold pan would work just fine. It could recover surprisingly small flakes of gold. Close to my place here in Utah we have gold placer where gold is really, realy small and thin (most flakes are under 0.5mm and smaller), but regular round pan would catch specs so small as barely visible with naked eye. Of course blue bowl or even miller table would work too, but they are alot more expensive.

Yeah, pans are fine for things that are 0.5mm, average bond wires are 0.015mm and are long and stringy, not rounded like alluvial Gold.

FrugalRefiner said:
archeonist said:
Gold is very soft. If you ball mill unincinerated ICs, the milling process will smear the fine gold bond wires all over the bits of epoxy base of the ICs. There will be no separation in a blue bowl or panning because the bond wires will no longer be wires. They'll be a gold coating all over the pieces of IC. Imagine taking a gold ring and rubbing it all over an IC. It's like rubbing it on a touchstone. It will leave a streak of itself. The wires are so fine, there'll be nothing left of them after milling.

Dave

This is not quite right, not even close. You certainly can ball mill unincinerated ICs and recover all the Gold, there is a Youtube video showing exactly this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgmBez-kE7g&t=1s

The problem is time, it takes ages to ball mill hard plastic ICs down to 60-100 mesh, much much faster if you pyrolize the ICs first.

kurtak said:
archeonist said:

Non pyrolyzed/incinerated ICs will NOT mill to the FINE powder NEEDED to liberate the bonding wires !!!

Epoxy is very hard & though it is hard it is not brittle - consequently trying to run them in a ball mill (without first pyrolyzing &/or incinerating) you will be lucky to break “thin” chips into chunks & with “thick” chips you will be lucky to maybe break off corners & round off edges --- You certainly will not break them down to the fine powder NEEDED to liberate the bonding wires

Even with a hammer mill at best you will only break them down to smaller “chunks” of epoxy – it will not turn them to the “fine” powder needed to liberate the bonding wires

Pyrolyzing (burning off the volatiles to “reduce” the epoxy to carbon) is required so they can be milled to the fine powder needed to liberate the bonding wires

Once the carbon is milled to a “fine” powder (goes through an 80 mesh sifting screen) most of the fine carbon can then be washed off by method of your choice (panning, blue bowl, sluice box, or table) to provide a “concentrate”

The concentrate can then be “incinerated” to reduce any carbon that did not wash off to ash

Once you are sure the carbon is ALL reduced to ash in your concentrates – you can then process the concentrates by ether chemical leaching or by smelting

Even if you could mill the IC chips without first pyrolyzing & incinerating them (which just isn’t going to happen) it would require such extensive “over milling” to break the epoxy down to a powder fine enough to liberate the bonding wires that you would end up with the problem that Dave pointed out

Also – epoxy has a “much” higher density then carbon &/or ash --- so even if you could mill the epoxy to a fine enough powder to liberate the bonding wires – it would NOT concentrate (wash) down to a concentrate for the efficient &/or effective leaching process & smelting would be out of the question unless you “incinerated” the milled epoxy before smelting anyway

Kurt

As per the link above, you absolutely can mill without pyrolizing, but your statements regarding time and density of the epoxy are spot on.

kurtak said:
archeonist said:

Yes – you can leach your pyrolyzed/incinerated chips (after milling) without first concentrating them

However – (as you pointed out) getting all of the (pyrolyzed) carbon reduced to (incinerated) ash is a problem (& yes carbon will absorb gold from solution) --- that is because in order to reduce the carbon to ash it needs to be exposed to oxygen when heat is applied --- therefore the carbon needs to be spread “very” thin – or the carbon under the surface will not reduce to ash due to the lack of oxygen getting to it – or – you have to “blow” oxygen through the carbon (if it’s not spread thin) so that oxygen contacts ALL the carbon beneath the surface

So – by not first concentrating (washing) off the vast majority of your “fine” milled pyrolyzed carbon – you are going to spend a HUGE amount of time incinerating all the carbon to “insure” all of the carbon has been reduced to ash

Also – if you don’t first concentrate your pyrolyzed/incinerated (pyrolyzed – then incinerated) milled ash it will require MUCH more chemical to do the leaching because you have to “fully” saturate the fully volume of material you are leaching – AND – then you will also need to use a MUCH greater volume of water to “TRY” to wash all the chem out of that LARGE volume of ash

I say “TRY” to wash all the chem out because with each wash you have a “diminishing” return & the more material you have to wash – the harder it is going to be to get all the chem washed out --- in other words – the more material you are trying to wash – the GREATER the amount of wash water needed --- which means MORE waste to deal with in the end

To put it in perspective --- lets say you have one cup of ash to leach (without concentrating it) its going to take a cup (plus/minus a bit) of chem to leach it – then its going to take another 4 – 5 cups of water to wash the chem out (so 5 – 6 cups total to leach & wash)

Now – lets double that to 2 cups – so your starting with double the chem (2 cups) --- BUT – its going to take MORE then double the water to get that chem washed out --- something more like 10 – 12 cups water (due to the “diminishing” returns of trying to wash more chem from more material)

So – you have not just more then doubled the amount chem needed for leaching – but you have also MORE then doubled the wash water needed to insure all the chem is washed out – meaning you have also MORE then doubled your waste --- in other words – the washing out (of the chem) is not simply increased “equal to” the increase in material being washed – rather – it is increased by a rater GREATER then the increase in material

Therefore – the more you can concentrate the material “before” leaching the less chem needed for leaching in the first place AND the amount of wash water will also be reduced “substantially” !!!

And that is because the diminishing returns of each wash is more effective when you are washing the chem from a smaller (concentrated) amount of material

As a final note (on leaching the milled ash of IC chips) --- keep in mind that “ash” is alkaline (basic) so we are not only talking about using enough acid to dissolve the gold in the ash – but you also need enough acid to “overcome” the alkaline nature of the ash so that the acid can dissolve the gold

In other words – ash being basic is going to have a neutralizing effect on the acid & so enough acid needs to be used to overcome the neutralizing effect of the ash --- or you can wash “most” of the ash off to start with so you are not needing a bunch of acid just to overcome the neutralizing effect of the ash

To put this all in perspective – I have processed MANY 50 – 60 pound batches of IC chips --- that is right close to a 5 gallon bucket full of (ball milled) carbon/ash --- can you imagine trying to reduce that much fine carbon to ash - & then trying to leach it without concentrating ---- I can’t – the amount of chem & waste created from washing would be HUGE

I am able to reduce that 5 gallon bucket of carbon/ash to a bit less then half a gallon of concentrates which can then be effectively reduced to ash & then leached with minimal chems & minimal washing out of the chem

Bottom line – is that if you want to be successful at processing IC chips (epoxy) follow the instructions as they have been laid out by Pat, myself & a number of other members of this forum that have put a GREAT deal of time into methods “that work” & then taken the time to post those methods here as the “proper” lead for others to follow --- if there were other – better methods – we would be talking about it here on the forum

Kurt

This is a great detailed response, new E-waste refiners would do themselves a BIG favor by reading it a few times. I have made the mistake of trying to go straight from incineration to chemicals without concentrating twice, both times it was a disaster.

I found the key to mastering bond-wire recovery was a decent microscope setup so that I could continuously check all my discard material and figure out where my losses were happening.

Dave and Kurt, thanks so much for this very usefull information.

A little summery of your information:

No pyrolising/incineration and just ball milling would take too long and the gold would be smeared out (at least a whole lot) on the particles wich would be washed out in the concentrating step.

First pyrolise ("burning" without oxygen), then concentrate and finally incinerate (burning with oxygen) the concentrate due to the fact that oxygen has to oxidize all of the carbon. The more material there is, the less oxygen will be able to reach all of the carbon.

Concentrating your material will reduce chemicals needed for extracting the gold.

Thanks again!

Kurt,

I don't think ash from incinerating IC:s is basic. Wood ash, yes, it's from basic oxides of K, Ca, Na and so on if I remember correctly. The ash from incinerating IC:s consists of the filler which is fine quartz sand and doesn't dissolve in water. This should be easy to check by just testing the wash water with a pH strip, but if it was basic then it would feel soapy when washing incinerated IC:s and I don't recall any such experience.

I have built an electric oven that I do my final incineration in, prior to that I have pyrolyzed the IC:s so there are only carbon left. By setting the temperature so the inside is glowing the incineration works quite well. No fast air currents that transports away dust, no open flame that consumes the oxygen. Just turn it on and check on it now and then to see how far the incineration have gone. When chips are white all through the body they are ready.
The oven was built from bits and pieces that came in as scrap, the only thing I bought was a PID-regulator, a temperature probe working up to 1100 C and two fire bricks.

Göran

Greeting everyone,

I finally put together a small scale of 4metals duo pyrolysis/incineration design mentioned in his great "smelting" post.

As expected, worked with the best results I have gotten from any pyro unit that I have built. No smokes and no smell.

Here is the components for this new pyro design,

Pyrolysis chamber
I used a piece of pipe which one end is welded. I used smaller width pipe so heat can get to the components inside.
image.jpg

A cap
To control the flow rate of fumes. There is an half inch hole on top of it to allow chamber to vent.
image.jpg

A container to cover the chamber and cap, also to contain the heat. I used a steel paint can which already been heated.
image.jpg

Afterburner
This is same size paint can as pyrolysis cover, but insulated with kaewool, so once heated it can reach 1000c in 10 minutes.
image.jpg

Here is the whole system during operation, I lit the afterburner first for 15 minutes, then pyrolysis chamber using medium heat from its burner, after about 10 minutes, increased the heat for pyrolysis to max until the flames you see emitting from afterburner changed color to faint clear yellow.
image.jpg

The materials I used for this test was about 200 grams of connectors, SMDs, aluminum capactiors, and pieces of boards and ICs.

As you may note, photos were taken after pyrolysis completed hence the black color components.

Again many thanks to 4metals to share with us this cool design.

Best regards
Kj

Back