Question - Making 925 Jewelry

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's some nice work there Kurt :)

I'm not sure if you have Renaissance festivals over in your part of the woods, but the ones I've been to around here, would probably buy those rings and bracelets faster than you can put them out.

I've seen some folks paying $500 - $700 for a crappy made aluminum "chain mail" shirt, like it's going out of style. The workers that are dressed like belly dancers and other folks would always buy tons of jewelry. (Especially when it's real silver and not just some plated costume jewelry.)

Edit - I'm sure a lot of them would go nuts over crystals or wire wrap gems.

FrugalRefiner said:
Great result for your first show.

Thanks Dave

Did you sell any of the silver crystals, or was it all jewelry? You might want to look into buying some of the small glass vials that you can put a nice crystal into, seal the top, then hang it from a chain. Search jewelry vial on feePay.

No - I did not sell any of the crystals which kinda surprised me - people were however interested in if I had a way to mount them - I will have to look into those vials

I also have a bunch of cut & polished stones (pictured) so plan to do some work with them as well

If things take off for you, you might also want to look into an electric soldering machine.

I was looking at these in my Romanoff (jewelers supplies) catalog & they run between $235 - 495 so can't justify then at this time

If you're interested, I'll try to find mine out in the barn to give you a better idea.

Yes - interested

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20180411_07_33_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180411_07_33_18_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
snoman701 said:
I like the jewelry. I used to use flatware as shape donors. ---- Pretty neat stuff

Hi snoman & thanks --- not sure what you mean by "shape doners' --- is that like a template ?

Tried looking it up on the web but didn't get any results other then charitable doners

You should check out Kevin Potters line of presses. Same idea as the bonny doone presses

Looked those up on the web as well - Keven Potters presses had a price tag of $825 & the Bonny Doon presses started at around $2,000 & went over $20,000

Here is a pic of my press - the stamps I have bought so far - & some stamped pieces

I bring the vise down on the stamp which sits on top the silver & then smack the vise handle 2 or 3 times with the big hammer to set the image in the silver --- pulled the vise out of a dumpster at a Granger store about 20 years ago because it had/has a crack in the mounting base so it cost me nothing :shock: :mrgreen:

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20180411_07_57_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180411_07_57_18_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 133
  • WP_20180411_07_49_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180411_07_49_50_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 133
  • WP_20180411_07_48_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180411_07_48_15_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 133
Grelko said:
That's some nice work there Kurt :)

I'm not sure if you have Renaissance festivals over in your part of the woods, but the ones I've been to around here, would probably buy those rings and bracelets faster than you can put them out.

Locally Renaissance festivals are not a thing here - I live in Cowboy country - there are a LOT of BIG ranches in the area (many 1,000 PLUS acres & some well over 10,000 acres) & as well a lot of active mining goes on here ranging from hobby miners to actual mining operations

Sumpter which is not to far from me has a rich mining history & is a big tourist attraction so plan to hit some of their events --- also have a couple friends out on the coast where I am sure they have Renaissance festivals so will likely look into that being as I have a place to stay out on the coast

Kurt

By shape donors I mean the semi-spherical shape of spoons, nicely formed compound curves found in some handles, etc, that you can then pierce and use as overlays to give pieces depth.

Bonny Doone came out first. The presses were sold in Rio Grande for ridiculous prices and only professional jewelers could afford them. Then Kevin figured out that he could make those presses cheap, all they are is laser cut steel with a hydraulic jack. He used to be a goldsmith until cnc 3d milling took wax carving out of the jewelers hands and in to the hands of casting houses who could turn a 3d model into a wax in an hour. He basically took the presses out of Rio Grande and made it affordable for a much wider audience, with a ton of laser cut silhuoette dies and accessories. He said his target audience was housewives.

The presses I had you look at are nothing more than a hydraulic jack in a frame, or even just a standard harbor freight hydraulic press. My first one was very poorly welded tube steel and three pieces of 3/4"x4" steel. With your ingenuity, you can put one together. I'd offer to send you my copy of Kingsley, but I'm not entirely sure where it's at.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Die-Forming-Jewelers-Metalsmiths/dp/0963583204

It works like this though. You use the compressive strength but elasticity of a material like urethane to push against a sheet of metal that is formed into the negative space of a die. I used leather scraps as my urethane until I found some really cheap urethane. That die can be as simple as a round circle, and you can create a spherical shape onward to an elliptical shape if you are deep drawing.

As for your stamps....get yourself a 3 foot stick of O-1 steel and a handful of files. A combination of files and die sinking chisels and your imagination is your limitation. You can heat treat your O1 simply by holding it in front of a torch flame until its non-magnetic then plunging it in to oil.

Found it. This is the soldering machine I built about 20 years ago.
Soldering Machine.jpg
I used an old computer power supply to house the whole thing. This was a really old, large supply, long before the ATX standard. The enclosure was huge, but the circuit board inside was small, so there was plenty of room inside. I had to rearrange the internal components a bit to make room for the large transformer that provides the soldering power. The original power supply circuit is just there to run the fan. :roll: I bought the transformer from a salvage/surplus company that used to mail me their catalog, but I don't recall the name. It's huge and heavy and I'm sure very much overkill, but the price was right. I'll hope others can give some guidance on what to look for and where, since I'm not really that knowledgeable on electronics.

There is an on/off switch on the power supply enclosure that turns the unit on and gets the fan running, but there's also a foot pedal to switch the power to the soldering circuit when I was ready to solder. It makes it a lot easier to get things all lined up, put the contacts in the right place, hold things in position, then just press the foot pedal till the solder flows. The foot pedal is wired to the large transformer. As with the transformer, I don't remember where I bought the foot pedal switch.

I looked on eBay and found tattoo foot pedal switches for as low as $3.00. You want a "momentary" switch. When you press the pedal, it switches on. When you take your foot off, it switches off. There are others that turn on when you press them that stay on when you take your foot off. You have to press them again to turn them off. Since this machine works so fast, you want the momentary switch.

I also wired a dimmer switch into the soldering circuit to control the output. It probably wasn't the best solution, but it worked. Most modern dimmer switches are digital and might not work, but mine was an old dimmer, so it served the purpose.

I also pulled a 10 amp circuit breaker out of an old surge suppressor and wired it in for safety. The wiring is straight forward. Power comes in, goes to the switch on the enclosure, then to the circuit breaker, then to the dimmer, then to the foot switch, and finally to the transformer. The output from the transformer goes to the socket that the contact handle plugs into.

The picture below shows the inside of the case. You can see the size of the transformer I used. I don't know if it had to be that big, but I didn't have much information to go on at the time. I built this long before the internet really matured. I did a little checking while writing this, and it looks like there is a lot of information on the web now if you search for homemade or diy resistance soldering machine or unit or something similar.
Inside.jpg
I built the giant "tweezer" handles that hold the contacts from some thick plexiglas that had the right amount of spring. There are certainly easier ways to go about it, but I've always enjoyed this kind of work. My dad was a machinist, so I grew up with tools in my hands and learned to make whatever I needed.
Handle.jpg
The contacts are made from arc gouging rods. The rods are carbon inside with a thin layer of copper on the outside for good electrical contact. To hold the contacts in the handle, I fit brass tubing inside the plexiglas that had a slit down the middle, and put set screws near the ends to tighten the tubing onto the contacts. I stripped the copper coating from the ends of the gouging rods and shaped them to a taper with some sandpaper. The contacts slide far into the brass tubing so as they wear, I can slide them out a bit and reshape them many times. The brass tubing is soldered to the power cord I used to connect the handle to the power supply.

The machine I modeled mine after also had a two piece contact system. One contact was a pad that the part was put onto, and the second contact was a probe that was touched to the part where you wanted to generate the heat. I never made one of those since the tweezer style handle worked well for my purposes.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. If anyone has questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

I did a little searching and found an instructable to make a light duty unit using a PC power supply to power the whole thing. Take a look at Cold Heat Soldering. I also found commercial units available for anywhere from under a hundred dollars to over a thousand.

For more information, search the internet for resistance soldering, cold heat soldering, cold soldering, etc.

Dave

kurtak said:
I live in Cowboy country - there are a LOT of BIG ranches in the area
Kurt

What about sterling belt buckles, boot spurs, hat pins, or bridal attachments for people who have show horses.

Edit - Combine 2 forks and make a silver octopus.

Nice build, Dave. It gave me some ideas, I really liked the construction of the tweezer with plexiglas body for flexibility and the carbon rods as electrodes.

Thanks for sharing!

Göran

Very good thread guys.

I am embarrassed—my jewelery is horrible and my knowledge of electricity limited to silver cells and incandescent bulbs!! Good show everyone.

My only contribution is that I have physically worked with all of the precious metals (most metals/elements). Of course a very rudimentary working (rolling, casting, stamping, etc). Some can’t even be rolled (Os!) or deformed.

That said, Kurt you need to do something in platinum. It is “cheap” now for what it is. What nice stuff to work with in how it welds (to be seen to believe), forms, cleans up and feels weighty etc. if you want ease of fabrication...that’s it. Gummy to machine though.

Funny because Pt’s sister metals Ru, Os, Ir and even Rh are devils to do much of anything with!

Wow guys - thanks for all the feed back on this 8) :!: :mrgreen:

Dave - thanks for the info on the soldering machine - now its a question of do I take the time to build one (time is money) or do I just put the money out to buy one --- when I buy stuff like this I tend to buy at the higher end just to save on the head aces that tend to go with buying lower end gear - so Romanoff's high end unit is $500 --- Hmmm :?

By shape donors I mean the semi-spherical shape of spoons,

snoman - cool - I have been trying to figure out what to do with the "spoon" part after cutting off the handle to make rings etc. & thanks for the link to the books (as well as the rest of your post) will definitely be picking up the book(s) 8)

What about sterling belt buckles, boot spurs, hat pins, or bridal attachments for people who have show horses.

Grelko - yes have had some those items in mind as well - in fact the 2 cut off forks in the first pic of my first post are already planned for (cowboy) hat pins - if nothing else - hat pins for my cowboy hat :mrgreen:

That said, Kurt you need to do something in platinum. It is “cheap” now for what it is. What nice stuff to work with in how it welds (to be seen to believe), forms, cleans up and feels weighty etc. if you want ease of fabrication...that’s it. Gummy to machine though.

Thanks Lou - besides the soldering machines Romanoff has they also have a unit called the Hydroflux Welder which they claim - "the high temp & clean flame makes this unit ideal for platinum soldering"

Again - its a bit spendy at $1,000 so will have to see where this goes before spending that kind of money

Also I have been "thinking" about setting up for plating (Au Pt & Rh) its a matter of seeing where things go with the sterling first - Romanoff does provide everything for setting up for plating including plating solutions - so we will see :D

Kurt

Kurt from my experience of selling unusual silver items the people who buy want large stones in modern settings , they also like diamonds, small ones, set into the silver but not just the crap you can buy everywhere.

Kurt,

it's just an O2/H2 torch with gases made stoichiometrically perfect from electrolysis.

My suggestion is that you just buy O2/H2.

I think a T cylinder (336 Cu ft roughly) of Oxygen costs me ~$12 and hydrogen around $30.

That's enough to melt maybe 500 troy of Pt.

kurtak said:
Thanks Lou - besides the soldering machines Romanoff has they also have a unit called the Hydroflux Welder which they claim - "the high temp & clean flame makes this unit ideal for platinum soldering"
I used one at the end of my jewelry days. I think it was an LR Aqua Torch. Really hot flame. Another good way to get in and out quick. The downside was the size of the flame. The torch tips were hypodermic needles that had the tips ground flat. For small jobs it was nice, but it had its limitations.

Dave

Lou said:
Kurt,

it's just an O2/H2 torch with gases made stoichiometrically perfect from electrolysis.

I think a T cylinder (336 Cu ft roughly) of Oxygen costs me ~$12 and hydrogen around $30.

Is the regulator for H2 just a standard fuel gas with different cga fitting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snoman701 said:
Lou said:
.... because it's the leakiest gas!

Spending a day with me after a good night of beer drinking will make you rethink that statement.

Try Guinness. What you Americans drink day to day is what you pee when you drink Guinness. 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

Oh please.

The variety, strength and quality of beer in America today makes both Britain and Ireland look like you drink the pee water now! I'm not talking beer cartel brews. I'm talking micro/craft brews.

A mile from my house I can go sample over 1000 types of beer. I can sit and see 50 taps with beers ranging from 3% abv Goses or Lambics all the way up to 18% abv IPAs and 21% meads and stouts in between. I won a chili cook off that, regrettably, I do not recall do to some of these beers being forced on a more than willing participant...

Lou said:
Kurt,

Does the torch need some modification, or it can be same used in O2/LPG?
0027197-extensao de solda 200-02-famabras.jpg

A friend of mine brews beer, in small batches, but he's more concern in getting the high alcoholic content (14%).

Back