Questions Using Vinegar, Sea Salt & Peroxide For Green Boards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm.
Welcome to the forum.

First post same day you joined, and that to an old thread, which is all but dead.
What are you hoping to accomplish by this?
The amount of Nitrates in sea salt would most likely not be able to create a visible color in a solution like that.
HydrogenPeroxide contain minute amounts of acid to stabilize it.
But I highly doubt it is nitrate based acid.

I'm open for any information which disprove that.

Vinegar is an organic acid which provides the hydrogen (same as HCl acid), the salt provides the chloride (and sodium ions), the copper provides the copper ions, and you made copper chloride.

You state not using dangerous acids, well in my mind using vinegar is not safer than the use of HCl acid, the dangers are the same both make toxic solutions, and gases...

The process and chemistry is almost the same, except the use of a weaker acid and carbon compound of the vinegar, you are making copper II chloride to dissolve copper.

You do not have as much hydrogen from the acid with vinegar, so some of your copper II chloride is forming copper I chloride (the white powder), you could add HCl to dissolve it, or try a whole lot more vinegar and salt, to oxidize the CuCl to CuCl2.

As long as you see the white powder you would not have gold dissolved in solution, it would have been reduced before the copper II Chloride was reduced, so no need to dissolve more copper (cementing), all that would do is make more copper I chloride, which would then need more acid to get the copper to go back into copper II chloride to recover the gold flakes from your copper I chloride (white powders).

It is the oxidizer in solution that makes dissolving gold possible, the process is not much different, use too much or too strong of an oxidizer and you could put some gold into solution, dissolving copper would replace the gold in solution with copper...
I've been researching and testing out the peracetic acid based gold refining tech myself and I have a few questions regarding ur response here.
So what ur saying is that doing this peracetic acid run I make sure that I have enough oxidizer in the acid solution to dissolve the gold plated scrap and once complete, I can filter out the remaining solids like plastic an other metals to then have solely the solution that's containing gold.
Then I can introduce a pure copper bar/plate to be dissolved into the solution and as a reaction to the copper replacing the gold in the solution I should then get gold produced/formed back out of the solution in a powder/sludge looking substance accumulated at the bottom of the jar?
Which then also I could use another filter process to get it out of the solution?
I'm assuming by that point I could put it too fire and melt to solid AU??

I'm tryin to avoid using aqua regia but it's looking like I'll have no choice..
Can I add this solution to aqua regia for a quicker/easier process?
What solidifying agent can I use on this solution to extract any&which other metals?

I'm asking cause I have attempted this already and it's resulted in a combination of what looks like copper sand at the bottom of my jars mixed with gold foil/sand and I have no idea how to separate the two so I can isolate the gold by itself for smelting.
Along with the sand is a dark grey looking slime/mold substance resting on top of the sand material mixed with the obvious remaining garbage like memory boards and sim card plastics along with.
I can send pics too if it'd help (probably would) on my next reply.
Ty for your and everyone's help on this. This forum is badass and is my encyclopedia for gold refining knowledge💯
I know garbage in garage out but I'm Very limited with cash to supply the resources hence this peracetic attempt.
Also I started with 12% concentration of both hydrogen and vinegar if that helps or makes a difference in solutions.

I've been researching and testing out the peracetic acid based gold refining tech myself and I have a few questions regarding ur response here.
So what ur saying is that doing this peracetic acid run I make sure that I have enough oxidizer in the acid solution to dissolve the gold plated scrap and once complete, I can filter out the remaining solids like plastic an other metals to then have solely the solution that's containing gold.
Then I can introduce a pure copper bar/plate to be dissolved into the solution and as a reaction to the copper replacing the gold in the solution I should then get gold produced/formed back out of the solution in a powder/sludge looking substance accumulated at the bottom of the jar?
Which then also I could use another filter process to get it out of the solution?
I'm assuming by that point I could put it too fire and melt to solid AU??

I'm tryin to avoid using aqua regia but it's looking like I'll have no choice..
Can I add this solution to aqua regia for a quicker/easier process?
What solidifying agent can I use on this solution to extract any&which other metals?

I'm asking cause I have attempted this already and it's resulted in a combination of what looks like copper sand at the bottom of my jars mixed with gold foil/sand and I have no idea how to separate the two so I can isolate the gold by itself for smelting.
Along with the sand is a dark grey looking slime/mold substance resting on top of the sand material mixed with the obvious remaining garbage like memory boards and sim card plastics along with.
I can send pics too if it'd help (probably would) on my next reply.
Ty for your and everyone's help on this. This forum is badass and is my encyclopedia for gold refining knowledge💯
I know garbage in garage out but I'm Very limited with cash to supply the resources hence this peracetic attempt.
Also I started with 12% concentration of both hydrogen and vinegar if that helps or makes a difference in solutions.
Welcome to us.
Use proper language since "tryin", "ur" and such don't translate well and we have members relying on translators.
On the topic we NEVER dissolve whole boards. if some Gold is dissolved it will cement out on lesser precious metals for instance inside the the boards and be out of reach.
What we do is use the trimmed Gold plated parts and use the CopperChloride leach to remove the metals under the plating so the foils detach.
Then we collect the foils and refine them.

Here is for your studies:
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

Poormans AR works better and is easier to work with for me. Vinegar is just messy and can be very picky in how it reacts for recovery of the gold.

Back