Quick note on the use of Latex/Nitrile/Vinyl gloves

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely hate disposable gloves, maybe it's my big hands or maybe it's that they fit so tight taking them off is a pain. I prefer the big heavy rubber with a rough palm for gripping. And I have used the same pair for years, they come off easy (and often) but I do not do refining with chemicals without them. I do keep a rather large pair of plastic tweezers for gripping small things with the gloves on.

st-prochem-heavy-duty-rubber-gloves.jpg

Even with these big gloves on it's easy to handle small pieces of filter paper for stannous testing with tweezers.

I do know lots of refiners who keep gloves separate and burn them all at once. One of the least desirable things to incinerate.

4metals said:
I prefer the big heavy rubber with a rough palm for gripping.

st-prochem-heavy-duty-rubber-gloves.jpg

Even with these big gloves on it's easy to handle small pieces of filter paper for stannous testing with tweezers.

I "used" to have a pair like these, but they were from Lowes, so they were most likely cheap rubber gloves for hot grease, or washing dishes, even though they said "chemical gloves". (black forearm length heavy rubber gloves) I'm not sure what material they were made from. After getting HCl/H2O2 "AP" on them, it already started melting a hole in the wrist within a few hours of processing materials, even after cleaning them off a couple times while working.

Surprisingly, the cheap white disposable latex gloves "pack of 50" last a lot longer versus HCl than I would have expected. I normally use these gloves, except that the only liquids I work with are HCl "31%, Cl, H2O2 "3%" and water, so I'm not sure how well they would hold up against nitric, sulfuric, etc.

4metals said:
maybe it's my big hands or maybe it's that they fit so tight taking them off is a pain.

I know this problem. Especially when you can barely move your thumb outwards, or have the glove on all the way, but the part between your fingers is only halfway on. One size fits all... except me :roll: As for regular work gloves, I have to order the 2-3x size, depending on the brand.

I use neoprene from lab supply companies that list them for use in nitric. Even then I get a pin hole in them once in awhile, which of course makes them useless. Which is why I have on the disposables underneath them. 5 years in a nickel plating shop taught me that.

Just to clarify, I agree wholeheartedly with the routine of using heavier gloves. A common problem even in a lab setting is that the disposable gloves break, so for any kind work where sharp edges occur, they are less suitable. And any kind of amounts of acids will burn through quicker than you'd like.

The only reason I have not used heavier than Nitrile so far is because I have been using 1-2ml of acid at a time.

My main goal with the post was simply to bring awareness around the use of such gloves since quite a few of the videos around feature them, in addition to the assumption that many use them for the sake of simplicity.

Disposable gloves are as good as the brand you buy. I bought a box at Home Depot...I have moved them to the kitchen for handling raw chicken. If you buy good disposable gloves, and change them as you contaminate them, they should hold up ok. If you are constantly facing sharp or jagged edges I'd recommend trying to change whatever you can to get away from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back