Recovering gold with Zinc

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sincha978

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum.
I have an issue that I would use some help with.
I can't no longer buy or get SMB here in my country, because of new laws that forbids individuals from buying SMB.
So I'm curious if anyone here has experience with using Zinc from batteries, as I've seen some people using it?

Zinc will drop it, powdered zinc being the fastest, but it will drop other metals too. Are you dropping it out of aqua regia? Copper would be my choice because it will only drop metals beneath it on the Electromotive Series chart which, except for mercury, are all precious.

If you take the time to describe what you digested and how, there are other options which possibly are better in your situation. The. more we know the more we can address your specific issue.

I see you are a brand new member here. There is a lot of information here to help you. The search feature is your friend. Also realize, the more you disclose about the details of what you are doing, the more we can help you. We are not mind readers.

Welcome to the forum.

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum.
I have an issue that I would use some help with.
I can't no longer buy or get SMB here in my country, because of new laws that forbids individuals from buying SMB.
So I'm curious if anyone here has experience with using Zinc from batteries, as I've seen some people using it?
If you have a store near you that sells beer and wine making materials then you may be able to get Campden tablets. The tablets are either Sodium or Potassium Metabisulfite....I've never used Potassium Metabisulfite so I can't comment on it.

Don't confuse SMB or KMB (if KMB works) with Potassium Sorbate. Campden tablets are used to sterilize your Must to kill off bacteria and wild yeast strains prior to fermentation. Potassium Sorbate is used to stop the fermentation where you want it or to be able to back sweeten later.

I believe places that cater to people that do food canning may also carry Campden tablets.

247dac34-dadd-423c-8a17-77110fc77641.10e9dd99569c65237856b7c243e72c81.jpeg
*edited for spelling

Last edited:
Zinc will drop it, powdered zinc being the fastest, but it will drop other metals too. Are you dropping it out of aqua regia? Copper would be my choice because it will only drop metals beneath it on the Electromotive Series chart which, except for mercury, are all precious.

If you take the time to describe what you digested and how, there are other options which possibly are better in your situation. The. more we know the more we can address your specific issue.

I see you are a brand new member here. There is a lot of information here to help you. The search feature is your friend. Also realize, the more you disclose about the details of what you are doing, the more we can help you. We are not mind readers.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.
After using all of my supplies I had left, 2 days ago I tried using Zinc for precipitation.
For clarification: We are here talking about ram memory pins, cpu plating, and cellphone scrap.
I first dissolved base metals with diluted nitric acid, since it was faster than AP.
Then washed and filtered it.
Then dissolved gold in aqua regia and after that neutralised it with boiling and adding Hcl three times.
After that I used Zinc from AA batteries cut in small pieces for precipitation, which worked great but I am left with gold and excess zinc at the bottom.
Now my question is, which one of the acids would work the best for removing zinc from gold powder?
I have 35% Hcl, 80% acetic acid, and 68% nitric acid.
P.S. I already posted same question on another members thread with same issue and already got the answer that any of the acids would work.
Thanks for the welcome, I will sure spend a lot of the time here reading since there is always new stuff to learn.

Then dissolved gold in aqua regia and after that neutralised it with boiling and adding Hcl three times.
After that I used Zinc from AA batteries cut in small pieces for precipitation, which worked great but I am left with gold and excess zinc at the bottom.

I can't say for sure whether your Zinc supply is or isn't alloyed with other metals. If.. it is truly clean Zinc, than Hydrochloric will work just fine.

I'm still trying to figure out why SMB is illegal to purchase in your location.

I can't say for sure whether your Zinc supply is or isn't alloyed with other metals. If.. it is truly clean Zinc, than Hydrochloric will work just fine.

I'm still trying to figure out why SMB is illegal to purchase in your location.
I don't know either it's not like it's extremely dangerous supstance or anything lol. Same goes for acids, but I manage to get them from a guy that sells it on his own... but only has acids.
Regarding purity, it should be clean, I did dissolve other metals well prior to aqua regia.

I don't know either it's not like it's extremely dangerous supstance or anything lol. Same goes for acids, but I manage to get them from a guy that sells it on his own... but only has acids.
Regarding purity, it should be clean, I did dissolve other metals well prior to aqua regia.
Do you not have wine or beer making in your country?

If so SMB or KMB or another Sulfite should be accessible.

Do you not have wine or beer making in your country?

If so SMB or KMB or another Sulfite should be accessible.
Yes there are wine makers, but they are all legally registered at some form and by that can legally get all the material needed for that, or if they are not then they have someone who supplies it to them, at pharma companies individuals can't buy.

Yes there are wine makers, but they are all legally registered at some form and by that can legally get all the material needed for that, or if they are not then they have someone who supplies it to them, at pharma companies individuals can't buy.
You only need a little so talk to the winemakers and ask if you can buy 100-200 grams or so.

I have been involved in the liquor industry in the US for many years. The commercial manufacturing, sales, and distribution are highly regulated. Components such as fruit, grain, yeast, nutrients, and the other components involveing pre fermented products, are not regulated at all. At least in the US.Try searching for beer and wine making supplies. It is legal in the US, as long as it is for personal consumption, and not commercial, to purchase these items. Here, farmers can even produce significant quantities of Ethanol, for fuel, of course, all legal.

I have been involved in the liquor industry in the US for many years. The commercial manufacturing, sales, and distribution are highly regulated. Components such as fruit, grain, yeast, nutrients, and the other components involveing pre fermented products, are not regulated at all. At least in the US.Try searching for beer and wine making supplies. It is legal in the US, as long as it is for personal consumption, and not commercial, to purchase these items. Here, farmers can even produce significant quantities of Ethanol, for fuel, of course, all legal.
The OP is not from US

I know that, but liquor laws are pretty much the same world wide. Some governing body wants it's pound of flesh for taxes, bigger taxes on "sin" taxes. Why there would be a ban on the components for beer and wine making? A certain reason to cause a revolution in that country, perhaps.

Does the new law prohibit the possession of smb? it’s import in to your country? Read the actual law. Hard to find on sale is not the same as “illegal to be in posession of.” There’s a lot of “soft” regulation that makes things hard to obtain, but not a violation of the law to possess or own.

People import regulated substances to the US that have controls all the time. The consequences of violating the law to the buyer is confiscation; sellers are in another country with export laws that may be different. The US has no jurisdiction and no interest in the exporter. Other countries have the same limitation on enforcement over products exported from other countries.

The new law in your location may make it very hard to obtain but not illegal to have in all cases. You might want to take a look. Unless you’re prohibited from possessing any amount of a particular chemical, you don’t necessarily have to break the last to obtain it.

Lastly, a law is only as important as the system that enforces it. If you’re importing SMB by the ton you may get some attention quick. Ordering 8oz from Amazon, probably not so much. Check the penalties, too. A fine might be an acceptable risk, jail, probably not.

You only need a little so talk to the winemakers and ask if you can buy 100-200 grams or so.
I know, but it's on the south of the country ot so close to me, and takes time
Yea good idea, will check it next time I go south where wine makers are. And also actively searching if someone distributes it online on local markets.

Back