Recovering silver and palladium from MLCC:s

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much for your advice. I appreciate it very much. I taught about sand bath. Would something like this be enough to heat it up or do I require a torch?
http://www.coolinarika.com/repository/images/_variations/c/7/c76140722593aaa1400ee19e7e990518_view_l.jpg

g_axelsson said:
necromancer said:
nevermind, this "is" Goran's post :oops:
No, it's Noxx forum... and I have followed your posts with great interest. 8)

I'm sitting with a mess on my own that I created last summer. It looked good but I didn't let it sit in HCl as long as the first batch and when I added NaCl to it it turned into a thick mud with an unknown content. It probably is a mix of tin, palladium, lead, silver and copper in various oxidation stages and complexes with chloride and nitrate.
I tried to add a copper rod to cement palladium (the silver is in silver chloride form) and it somewhat worked, I got a palladium mirror on the surface and some branching palladium crystals on the rod after a couple of months. The mud changed color to white close to the rod (palladium chloride and nitrate cementing, depleting the mud), but the thick mud hindered circulation of the liquid so it was less than successful. The mud also locked in a lot of the cemented palladium metal particles.

Next idea I got was to treat it with NaOH to turn the silver chloride into silver oxide... and that is the stage it's in today. When I go on vacation I'm going to pick this experiment up and see what I can do to separate the metals. I also have another batch of MLCC:s that I'm going to process this summer. I guess I'm going to try the AR first to extract palladium and treat the left overs for the silver content.

As you see, it might be foolish to follow my advice on MLCC:s at this time... do it at your own peril! :mrgreen:

Göran

not foolish at all, by following your thread i have a very small test tube with cemented palladium
you may not think your doing the right thing but i am new to palladium recovery & your post has been super helpful (Thank You)

since making a huge mess of the first 3 lbs of MLCC's i now have 4.5 lbs more to make less of a mess of 8)

necromancer said:
not foolish at all, by following your thread i have a very small test tube with cemented palladium
you may not think your doing the right thing but i am new to palladium recovery & your post has been super helpful (Thank You)

since making a huge mess of the first 3 lbs of MLCC's i now have 4.5 lbs more to make less of a mess of 8)
Great! That brings a big smile to me. 8)

I'm still no further on my mess. I have dried the mud up and is going to incinerate it and continuing from that point when I get some time.

Göran

Erceg said:
Thank you very much for your advice. I appreciate it very much. I taught about sand bath. Would something like this be enough to heat it up or do I require a torch?
http://www.coolinarika.com/repository/images/_variations/c/7/c76140722593aaa1400ee19e7e990518_view_l.jpg

Sure, put a shallow round or square cake pan on top, fill with about 2cm of sand and you are good to go. I do not put much sand there as the more you put in the longer it take to heat and work. I use stainless steel forceps the type one use when fishing, you will need to collect IC which fall off if material stay long in hot sand.

That is the plan, with fire brick around to keep heat.
Than you. Great thread overall.

Smelted a batch of 2lbs of mixed SMD capacitors, resistors, and tantalum capacitors using 2 parts borax, 1part cryolite, melted the, in an induction furnace, twice, second time without cryloite.

image.jpg

This is after first melt poured into a mold,
image.jpg

Put slags and metals back to furnace this time with more borax and no cryolite,
image.jpg

The metals are in dilute nitric acid, I am expecting ruthenium oxide, and tantalum in the mix which are soluble in nitric acid.

Best regards,
Kevin

Lou,

My bad, I meant Ta and Ru are not soluble in nitric or any organic acids. So these metals are dissolving in nitric acid so will have to check on them on weekends.

Regards
Kj

spaceships said:
Just a quick one, why are you expecting those metals in particular ?

I had a lot of Ta caps and RuO resistors in the mix of my materials along with SMD capacitors.

necromancer said:
thanks Kevin, i always enjoy your posts

Thanks necromancer, since ai got the induction furnace I have been trying to do the projects I had in mind, I will do a project smelting catalytic converters using this furnace and will post the result soon.

For those of you following my shaker table project, the discharged materials finally got to the lab and expecting their results soon.

Best regards,
Kevin

Platdigger,

There was a detail post here talking about just that, I can't find it yet, but my first step would be pulverize cats to fine mesh, find the right flux, ball mill flux, any collector metal and pulverized cats to get them mix.
Then melt in a small crucible.

Regards
Kevin

necromancer said:
silver chloride with metastannic acid mess (bla :evil:)

i am going nuts with these darn mlcc's
:
my post:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=20518&p=211572#p211572

Hey necromancer,

What is metastannic acid and how dose it forms in mlcc's. Tin nitrate or Tin oxide?

wicky said:
Hey necromancer,

What is metastannic acid and how dose it forms in mlcc's. Tin nitrate or Tin oxide?
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/search.php?keywords=metastannic+acid&terms=all&author=&sv=0&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

/Göran

9kuuby9 said:
I'm glad to help you out. I know that participating gold with SMB or Coperras in a chloride solution causes PGM's drag down. In a nitrate solution it can fully participate Pd.

The best way of recovery is to use eficient methods in recovering vairous metals;

U can crush the MLCC's wich is time consuming but it will leach faster and have better yield results.

I first tend to use nitric 50/50 D. water to leach the base metals including Ag & Pd; after 2 or 3 leaches of fresh nitric solution; filter the solids out including the metastannic acid.

Drop out the Pd in the filtered nitrate solution with SMB or Coperras and; filter nitrate solution then recover the Ag with your preferred method.

Incinerate the solids including the metastannic acid; Then put the Incinerated solids in hot HCl; wash the solids a prepare boiling AR with a watchglass to leach Pt if it contains any.

After the recovery you can refine it or add it to your stock pot for later.
Since this is my first time dealing with MLCC's and have read so much on processing these, I have accumulated a few lbs worth of them so far. And since I'm going to start my first batch today sometime (hopefully) and go for it, this method seem to me, to be the quickest way to refine and recover these MLCC's.

I have been reading and waiting for about 3 years now, and now is my time to process these. I've seen some videos that now that I understand it better, some of those videos and other information is doing 10 things when you could have just done 4 things and achieve the same result(s).

Since I never refined for palladium before, this is something I can understand more so now, just by rereading threads and other information. I am confident that the method quoted above is something I'm definitely going to implement. It makes much sense to me. I have been holding and collecting these mlcc's for years now, and now that I've done my fair share of refining gold and silver bearing items. Now I'm ready for the Palladium. It's less than gold and it's more than silver.

I am thinking that these are easier to refine than one may think.

Let me ask something.

a) Would Muriatic acid work for this or straight HCL? My Muriatic Acid is 31.45% HCL
b) Will MAPP gas (disposable tank) be hot enough to melt the palladium? I read 3600F+ with air, and 5800F with oxygen is how hot MAPP gas will get. The one with air, a person would have to introduce air into the torch somehow? And does this mean getting a acetylene torch?

I just remembered that I need to get some Nitric acid. Using the Nitric acid, have anyone calculated how much (approximately) nitric acid is needed to dissolve all it can with 1lb. of the mlcc's. From looking at my own, 1 lb of them can easily fit in a 2000mL beaker with plenty of space left.

According to this method, just to get to the palladium, it already saved time and steps to take. When I think about it, from what I've learned over the years refining, every method I've read and saw all have you understanding that it's going to take days to do it when you can actually get to see some palladium that same day. From powder to metal. I am glad I reread many threads here on the forum.

This method eliminates the need of adding zinc to it and other steps I've seen before.

As I wait on some more acid, I'll just crush them up and have them ready for solution. Once I get it going, I'll post my results here.

Thanks.

Doing them wet is ill advised.

ferrous sulfate is more than a little bit inefficient at precipitating palladium from nitrate.

MAPP won't melt Pd as is.

Have you been reading here for 3 years now? I suspect you have.

Not particularly, especially so when compared against gold, which is quite cytotoxic.

As a general rule, treat everything as if it could kill you and be sure to exercise good care to prevent cross contamination, particularly with platinum.

Our practice is to have a container with a swivel lid and a trash bag liner labeled "burnables" for gloves, wipes that may have contacted precious metals.

Back