Recovering silver from Aluminum/silver chloride mud

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also dissolve silver chloride with an aqueous solution of ammonia.
and then precipitate it with hydrazine or ascorbic acid....

but they write that this is quite dangerous due to the possibility of creating “explosive” silver....
What makes it explosive?

Very little, the last two gold drops, I had a thin layer of the white crystals covering the bottom of the beaker after I added water and chilled with ice. I filtered them and Im storing them in a wet stock pot of only those two filters so far.
The reason I'm asking is to find out what is left of the Silver to determine how to proceed.
So your answer do not help.

The reason I'm asking is to find out what is left of the Silver to determine how to proceed.
So your answer do not help.

Ok, I understand why you are asking, so the silver chloride stock I started is very small. Most of the 225g of original material was before I understood that some silver chloride would dissolve in the AR and adding the water and chilling would precipitate it before filtering and dropping with smb. I would say a reasonable amount of the silver chloride is in the gray muddy milky stock pot, with the aluminum oxide and probably as you've mentioned some metastannic acid too.

Back