REDNECK ORE SAMPLING (WHITE ROCK)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your rock/ore, looks like a Silica based host rock, not Limestone. Limestone is a Carbonate rock, and neutralizes acids. Your host rock does not neutralize HCL and Nitric acids as readily as Limestone. That is the difference between yours, and other poster's host rock. In addition, your samples look to actually contain some kind of metallic components, whereas the other poster's does not. He is just farting around, neutralizing quantities of acids, with no apparent metallic component. That is the difference between you and other poster. Also, if you guys are working with chemistry, you should know what you are doing. This includes knowing the chemistry of the minerals in the rocks you are dealing with. You should learn to identify the minerals in the rocks you are performing this acid leach on, so you don't have a reaction with something which could be quite different.
Perhaps one of the moderators can give an example of reactions of some of the other minerals present in ores, and the consequences of that reaction.
Excellent I learn a lot
I’m really new in geology
I’m new on using chemical to extract gold
I’m always was work placer for extracting gold
Thanks a lot for the advice

I don't think many of the ore types I'm testing are limestone based. I say this for a couple reasons.. 1 - I just tested limestone.. off a cliff of nearly pure limestone and also a sample from No Gold Creek. There is a thread for this rock type and you can see the results... THEY WERE LOUD !! (haha). 2 - Unlike the limestone sample, the other three rock types I'm currently working on presented very subdue and benign reactions to the HCL bath.

The limestone examples took 3 rounds of HCL (each round about 1/2 inch in a mason jar). Each round they over-flowed the mason jar (like a baking soda and vinegar volcano in 6th grade science project). After the final round, there was almost no rock left... I would say 90-95% dissolved... into a black solution.

No other rock type I have tested presented results like that. Needless to say, I am done with limestone..... ... and about done with these experiments ; ) Then on to smelting all the precipitates from from the experiments after 1 last refinement.

I bet ol' Gold-shark is delighted to hear that ; ) DEeeee'LIGHTED !! Ain't ya ?

COME ON SNARK..... SING IT WITH ME NOW !!

You have a certain charm about you, but in an obnoxious manner. Much like I was in High School. Namaste.

Filtered and added 1/6-1/4 tsp of Sulfamic (grout cleaner crystals) today. Stirred actively until most dissolved, few bubbles, not much.

Will test with Stan in the 'morrow and then SMB and allow to sit until Friday or so.

Attachments

• white rock AR.jpg
    white rock AR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Filtered and added 1/6-1/4 tsp of Sulfamic (grout cleaner crystals) today. Stirred actively until most dissolved, few bubbles, not much.

Will test with Stan in the 'morrow and then SMB and allow to sit until Friday or so.
The Sulfamic reaction have to be done hot, some 70-80 Centigrade will do it.

The Sulfamic reaction have to be done hot, some 70-80 Centigrade will do it.
I've NOT been doing that. It now makes me wonder if this is the reason my precipitations have been poor, and then when I add copper to start the waste mitigation process they are cementing black stuff on them.

Guess my question is: Even if the sulfamic crystals dissolve in the solution it still needs to be heated to 70-80C ?... and no amount of time at a cooler temperature (ie. - 70F or so) will denox with sulfamic ? I am now certainly thankful for you pushing me to learn about waste disposal process, cementing with copper, and understanding the metals reactivity relationship within AR. At least if I have screwed up all my sample drops I have the black powder from the copper. Learning a lot in the forum... bit of fun to boot. Many thanks.

On to ebay !.... Heater is next purchase. Don't tell my wife !!

I've NOT been doing that. It now makes me wonder if this is the reason my precipitations have been poor, and then when I add copper to start the waste mitigation process they are cementing black stuff on them.

Guess my question is: Even if the sulfamic crystals dissolve in the solution it still needs to be heated to 70-80C ?... and no amount of time at a cooler temperature (ie. - 70F or so) will denox with sulfamic ? I am now certainly thankful for you pushing me to learn about waste disposal process, cementing with copper, and understanding the metals reactivity relationship within AR. At least if I have screwed up all my sample drops I have the black powder from the copper. Learning a lot in the forum... bit of fun to boot. Many thanks.

On to ebay !.... Heater is next purchase. Don't tell my wife !!
Well I do not know for sure it will not react in time, but it is one of these reactions that need energy to start properly.

This sample performed best, with a bit more than a bit of brown dust. However the white precipitate or filter bypass completely clouds it out. The copper cents are continuing to product black cement and I added a third copper cent to the solution. Also went on ebay a purchased a pure copper bar so I can combine all these into a single mason jar and continue the waste treatment process in a single jar with a pure copper bar instead of a copper cent that is bonded to 5% zinc inner core.

Attached an image of the two cents used in last treatment of the samples last week.
* notable use of copper off of them
* some of the black cement is bound to the copper strongly, most flaked off but some is LOCKED on like a tick.

Attachments

• whitestone.jpg
    whitestone.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 0
  • used copper.jpg
    used copper.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
This sample performed best, with a bit more than a bit of brown dust. However the white precipitate or filter bypass completely clouds it out. The copper cents are continuing to product black cement and I added a third copper cent to the solution. Also went on ebay a purchased a pure copper bar so I can combine all these into a single mason jar and continue the waste treatment process in a single jar with a pure copper bar instead of a copper cent that is bonded to 5% zinc inner core.

Attached an image of the two cents used in last treatment of the samples last week.
* notable use of copper off of them
* some of the black cement is bound to the copper strongly, most flaked off but some is LOCKED on like a tick.
Hello hope all is well!! I too have started utilizing the cementation process and I recently tried a different starting point with dilute nitric acid instead of HCL first and results seem promising. I'm using very small samples of very small samples and material is microfine. I will describe below with photos.

This small sample IMG_4894.JPGIMG_4895.JPGIMG_4897.JPGIMG_4899.JPGIMG_4900.JPG

was placed in dilute nitric acid for a couple daysIMG_4901.JPGIMG_4902.JPGIMG_4911.JPGIMG_4912.JPG

I had to make a couple additions of water and nitric so moved to different container IMG_4997.JPG

This is what remained on the bottom IMG_5009.JPG

This was some of the solution after being filteredIMG_4920.JPG

I placed a copper coil in the nitrate solution and diluted with distilled water IMG_5120.JPGIMG_5121.JPGIMG_5122.JPGIMG_5128.JPGIMG_5144.JPGIMG_5145.JPGIMG_5147.JPG
Making sure to agitate the coil often throughout the day
IMG_5159.JPGIMG_5160.JPGIMG_5162.JPG

next dayIMG_5186.JPG IMG_5185.JPGIMG_5187.JPG

I then added hydrochloric acid to the remaining material using any remaining nitric for the aqua regia, allowed to sit then filtered into a couple different containers for different cementing experimentsIMG_5133.JPGIMG_5136.JPG

For this one Aluminum foil and distilled water IMG_5037.JPGIMG_5040.JPGIMG_5046.JPGIMG_5049.JPGIMG_5050.JPGIMG_5072.JPGIMG_5077.JPGIMG_5104.JPG

Next dayIMG_5184.JPGIMG_5181.JPG

Then copper coil and distilled waterIMG_5084.JPGIMG_5087.JPGIMG_5093.JPGIMG_5106.JPGIMG_5169.JPG

The next day IMG_5173.JPGIMG_5176.JPGIMG_5177.JPG

Steel wool and distilled water IMG_5091.JPGIMG_5099.JPGIMG_5101.JPG

It appears as if I have reached my limit of uploaded photos so lets start with that!! Thanks to all who have tried to direct and teach and share knowledge of this difficult but very enjoyable path my life seems to have taken

Hello hope all is well!! I too have started utilizing the cementation process and I recently tried a different starting point with dilute nitric acid instead of HCL first and results seem promising. I'm using very small samples of very small samples and material is microfine. I will describe below with photos.

This small sample View attachment 55468View attachment 55469View attachment 55470View attachment 55471View attachment 55472

was placed in dilute nitric acid for a couple daysView attachment 55473View attachment 55474View attachment 55475View attachment 55476

I had to make a couple additions of water and nitric so moved to different container View attachment 55479

This is what remained on the bottom View attachment 55480

This was some of the solution after being filteredView attachment 55477

I placed a copper coil in the nitrate solution and diluted with distilled water View attachment 55483View attachment 55484View attachment 55485View attachment 55486View attachment 55487View attachment 55488View attachment 55489
Making sure to agitate the coil often throughout the day
View attachment 55491View attachment 55492View attachment 55493

next dayView attachment 55495 View attachment 55494View attachment 55496

I then added hydrochloric acid to the remaining material using any remaining nitric for the aqua regia, allowed to sit then filtered into a couple different containers for different cementing experimentsView attachment 55507View attachment 55509

For this one Aluminum foil and distilled water View attachment 55497View attachment 55499View attachment 55500View attachment 55501View attachment 55502View attachment 55503View attachment 55504View attachment 55506

Next dayView attachment 55511View attachment 55510

Then copper coil and distilled waterView attachment 55512View attachment 55514View attachment 55515View attachment 55516View attachment 55517

The next day View attachment 55518View attachment 55519View attachment 55520

Steel wool and distilled water View attachment 55521View attachment 55522View attachment 55523

It appears as if I have reached my limit of uploaded photos so lets start with that!! Thanks to all who have tried to direct and teach and share knowledge of this difficult but very enjoyable path my life seems to have taken
Did you do a Stannous test this time?

Back