REDNECK ORE SAMPLING (WHITE SANDSTONE)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snark away brother, good stuff. I've never been offended by a bit of slung snot where appropriate ; ) I guess the limestone could have eroded, washed down into and around creek and congealed into stone. So even though it looks like sand, it is in fact limestone particles. That makes sense. I was thinking these were relics of the period when the area was an inland salt sea, and the stones broken coral, similar to the sands in florida that are derived from eroded corals... I think both a pretty carbon based. Anyway... on to what's left over, which is obviously gold ;)
There are a variety of rock types that contain carbonaceous material in their compositions. If a sandy beach has a lot of sea shells washed up on it, then gets buried by other sediments, it will eventually compress to a sandy Limestone. Usually the very sedentary parts of the sea get covered with the very high concentration of Carbonate, used for cement, fluxing, and road bed surfacing. There are a lot of sediment grades in between these 2 examples. As stated earlier, it can be identified with a drop of vinegar to see if it has a fizzy reaction. If so, it is usually a carbonate containing mineral, IE Limestone.

Yes.

And then there’s other beauties like the yellow stuff in sandstone (depending where you are). My Geiger goes all hot when I get near it.

Around here (Europe) sandstone is basically bare. It used to be the shore of the sea covering the alps, the limestone is the sea floor.

Both the sandstone and the limestone are Jurassic but ye who longs for gold must dig deeper in to the Trias.

Gosh this place is surprising.

Back