Reduce sulfurous odor from waste products to be reused?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yessir. I just switched and bought ferrous sulfate to replace SMB on my second campaign. I’m wondering what, if anything, I can do to reduce the sulfurous stench coming from my first waste batch that still contains lost gold I’m hoping to retrieve. Thank you.

It’s outside with a loose lid allowing water to evaporate. Obviously you have no answer to the question. Ignorage…
Careful now, for all parties involved, keep this civil!!

How much do you have, 2-3 liters?
If it still smells of SO2 you have had to have used a massive overload of SMB.
If you have a lid on it, not much will evaporate neither water nor SO2.
How about keeping it in your fume hood?

Yessir. I just switched and bought ferrous sulfate to replace SMB on my second campaign. I’m wondering what, if anything, I can do to reduce the sulfurous stench coming from my first waste batch that still contains lost gold I’m hoping to retrieve. Thank you.
I don't think a strong sulfurous smelling solution will contain any gold.
It goes away after letting it vent for a while, an air bubbles helps speeding it up.

Did you test this solution with stannous?

Remember, Shark, jokes do not often translate well from spoken word, with a plethora of inflections and nuances. to the written word, which has few.

A mistake we all make from time to time.

Time for more coffee.
Hey Galen, only a way to start a conversation when inadequate information is given. I try to be humorous in my replies, although they are/can be taken as insultry. Will try to be a little more formal and diplomatic in future communicates.

Hey Galen, only a way to start a conversation when inadequate information is given. I try to be humorous in my replies, although they are/can be taken as insultry. Will try to be a little more formal and diplomatic in future communicates.
I knew you were being a bit facetious. Apparently Edwin did not. Not an issue with me. I simply pointed out, without insulting anyone, I hope, that Edwin interpreted your comment otherwise.

As I indicated above, we all do it from time to time.

Enjoy.

Time for more coffee.

Edwin, as to your original issue with the sometimes extreme issue of sulfur dioxide gas when using SMB, all the replies are correct, as far as they go, including the rather facetious attempt at humor from Goldshark.

4metals gave the best answer, however. Of the two, ferrous sulfate would be my choice. Easy to make. Easy to get. Easy to use.

His other option, ascorbic acid, is both easy to get and easy to use. Not so easy to make, however.

In time, you will likely have on hand SMB, ferrous sulfate, and ascorbic acid. Each has its place. Each has advantages above the others in different situations. These you will learn as your expertise progresses.

The cleanest drop from a clean solution is done with sulfur dioxide gas. Something you will read on the forum from time to time. It is, however, an option that most here have not used for several reasons I will not dive into here.

Enjoy.

Time for more coffee.

Thank you very much for providing the answer I was looking for. 🙏
If your solution contains free HCl be sure to be upwind when you add the hypochlorite as it can release chlorine gas which you really don’t want a lung full of.
And it can dissolve gold in HCl if i'm correct, so filter out any solids before you do.

Edwin, as to your original issue with the sometimes extreme issue of sulfur dioxide gas when using SMB, all the replies are correct, as far as they go, including the rather facetious attempt at humor from Goldshark.

4metals gave the best answer, however. Of the two, ferrous sulfate would be my choice. Easy to make. Easy to get. Easy to use.

His other option, ascorbic acid, is both easy to get and easy to use. Not so easy to make, however.

In time, you will likely have on hand SMB, ferrous sulfate, and ascorbic acid. Each has its place. Each has advantages above the others in different situations. These you will learn as your expertise progresses.

The cleanest drop from a clean solution is done with sulfur dioxide gas. Something you will read on the forum from time to time. It is, however, an option that most here have not used for several reasons I will not dive into here.

Enjoy.

Time for more coffee.
Yes sir. I purchased ferrous sulfate last week. Thank you.
I don't think a strong sulfurous smelling solution will contain any gold.
It goes away after letting it vent for a while, an air bubbles helps speeding it up.

Did you test this solution with stannous?
Stannous Chloride test is very weak purple at best. Gold sure went into it, but may never come out. 🤷‍♂️ I’ve completely removed the lid and set it aside in a remote section of my fenced yard. I’ll only cover it on rainy days. And, in the interim, I’ll use sodium hypochlorite to reduce the pungent odor. ty

Back