Refining for your local jewelers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry it took so long to reply the end of the months around here is crazy. So depending on how far u live from a refinery and your skill level I can make some introductions. The group we use has long cations in about every major city allthough due to recent events they no longer operate in the state of Florida. We got ours by asking like hey if you ever get behind we can help. That's when we found out they don't refine anything there it all goes to one place via UPS and that they don't get commission, customers don't want to wait 3 weeks and this is no secret to anyone who has been at it for awhile but it's not like they process ur 500g batch by itself it's melted assayed and but into groups i.e. 2.5% all goes in one 3% in another as long as they hit their numbers they pay everyone on the batch average so mine may be 2.6% the others 2.1% nobody ever complains because it's to hard to calculate. So for 2 years we have been doing it with much higher results we keep 25% of the gold and everything that isn't gold :) Even as one of the world's largest refineries due to all the red tape of storing processing and disposing of chemicals and wastes it actually makes it more profitable to source it out. We don't have to anymore but you must be able to hit .9999 otherwise they would have to process it still since to bring to market it needs to be at least .999. Ours has to be above 10 but below 25% so they can avoid the quartering process however this is not possible with out exspensice xrf equipment. The down side is this probably out of reach for somebody who doesnt have access to large amounts of scrap since proving yourself will likely take turn ins of 2+ ounces 4-5 times before a refiner would be willing to give you a chance. Back to your Silver idea the need is very limited most small jewelry companies don't do much custom work with gold or silver, maybe someone else has had better luck. We do recycle and return for a bead store that's about 10 ozs a year and for a few artist silversmiths we met through the guild the younger crowd is much more likely to pay a little more to get their product locally because buying local is all the rage these days. Let me know and if those aren't viable I'll be happy to share other ways that we have done and still do today.

4metals said:
I've been dealing with settlements from refiners for 40 years and I have no clue what his post meant.

He's below the Mason Dixon line ! :D

You Yankees can't speak the dialect! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think i understood it.

Sorry for the rambling after sobering up I even had to read it twice to figure out my point. So when gold filled comes to the refinery it is usually with karat gold most jewelers just mix them as long as assay is about 10% it pays 98% of spot. However a few times a week customers bring in large lots 1000g or more and it's takes a lot of 14k to keep that above 10% so they would send it off back to the actual refinery it would take weeks and like I tried to explain there is 0 quality control you get what you get. They charge 25% of gold recovered and that's it. They keep everything else silver, platinum metals. Heck I didnt know until 8 years ago and even when I did it's not like I was gonna ship it out wait have it sent back because it took me a year to accumulate the 1000g min order then spend shipping etc. like everyone else I became addicted to the new "fast food type refinery" drive there 30 mins later cash or even Bullion instant gratification. That all changed when I found 2 dozen of the gold filled holy grail 1/5 9ct cuff bracelets took one in to have assayed the refiner said something must be wrong with the xrf because it thinks that gf was 7.2% gold but almost 20% platinum and 55% silver I found laser Steve video watched it half a time watched some kids on you tube and declared myself the next Alfred Nobel. Thank god I at least did it outside and only wasted 250g 10 hot plates, and every coffee pot in the state of Missouri. Gave it up with my best only being 98.5% until about 2 years ago.when the refiner was like I melted this thinking it was karat gold and they guy who does is out of town it pays 25% I came back with .9999 and was like yeah platinum is way above my skill level but there was 22 ounces silver he said we only take the gold. Every since I've been doing over 1000 grams for them a week and learned the importance of incinerator while melted is not ideal took me hours so pick out all the stones lol. There are over 30 of these franchises I know 8 other people who do the same the guys in Atlanta are doing over a metric ton a month using the same stainless stills once filled with rye. Sure you fancy yanks can read and have labs us southern boys will stick with grandmas Corning ware and plastic milkjugs. The only real differences down here are nobody has ever heard of Holk and can't read anyways and you can always spot a carpetbagger because no southern waste copper to cement silver. We never touch escrap you can have all the pcb's u want just google Bendix plant In Kansas City everyone has a family member that is dying from that so Holk is good for a hobby but there is another thing that came out of that Bendix plant 85% of non nuclear components for the entire us nuclear missle deffance system, another 80% of radios for WWII aircraft, Nasa contracts, the talos missile, high energy laser ignition systems, hybrid microcircuits, rocket and satalite guidance chips, land mine detectors for the airforce, ufos for E.T. Thats 1000s of tons of pms refined in house by crazy hillbillies. If ur lucky enough to get one of these men to talk the education is priceless.

I do gold filled for 10-15% based on weight. Anything below 5 lbs is 15% anything above 5 lbs is 10%.
I see you reading 4metals! :mrgreen:

So 15% of a 3.5% yield material if you process 5 pounds is about $500. Not bad for the work required. Trouble is so much trash costume jewelery that isn't GF gets mixed in. That eats into your profits.

Still cheaper to mix it into karat lots shipping to a big refiner. Of course that should include sampling and fire assay. Not XRF.

kcsilversmith said:
Sorry for the rambling after sobering up I even had to read it twice to figure out my point. So when gold filled comes to the refinery it is usually with karat gold most jewelers just mix them as long as assay is about 10% it pays 98% of spot. However a few times a week customers bring in large lots 1000g or more and it's takes a lot of 14k to keep that above 10% so they would send it off back to the actual refinery it would take weeks and like I tried to explain there is 0 quality control you get what you get. They charge 25% of gold recovered and that's it. They keep everything else silver, platinum metals. Heck I didnt know until 8 years ago and even when I did it's not like I was gonna ship it out wait have it sent back because it took me a year to accumulate the 1000g min order then spend shipping etc. like everyone else I became addicted to the new "fast food type refinery" drive there 30 mins later cash or even Bullion instant gratification. That all changed when I found 2 dozen of the gold filled holy grail 1/5 9ct cuff bracelets took one in to have assayed the refiner said something must be wrong with the xrf because it thinks that gf was 7.2% gold but almost 20% platinum and 55% silver I found laser Steve video watched it half a time watched some kids on you tube and declared myself the next Alfred Nobel. Thank god I at least did it outside and only wasted 250g 10 hot plates, and every coffee pot in the state of Missouri. Gave it up with my best only being 98.5% until about 2 years ago.when the refiner was like I melted this thinking it was karat gold and they guy who does is out of town it pays 25% I came back with .9999 and was like yeah platinum is way above my skill level but there was 22 ounces silver he said we only take the gold. Every since I've been doing over 1000 grams for them a week and learned the importance of incinerator while melted is not ideal took me hours so pick out all the stones lol. There are over 30 of these franchises I know 8 other people who do the same the guys in Atlanta are doing over a metric ton a month using the same stainless stills once filled with rye. Sure you fancy yanks can read and have labs us southern boys will stick with grandmas Corning ware and plastic milkjugs. The only real differences down here are nobody has ever heard of Holk and can't read anyways and you can always spot a carpetbagger because no southern waste copper to cement silver. We never touch escrap you can have all the pcb's u want just google Bendix plant In Kansas City everyone has a family member that is dying from that so Holk is good for a hobby but there is another thing that came out of that Bendix plant 85% of non nuclear components for the entire us nuclear missle deffance system, another 80% of radios for WWII aircraft, Nasa contracts, the talos missile, high energy laser ignition systems, hybrid microcircuits, rocket and satalite guidance chips, land mine detectors for the airforce, ufos for E.T. Thats 1000s of tons of pms refined in house by crazy hillbillies. If ur lucky enough to get one of these men to talk the education is priceless.

Now that right there'd make a fellers i's tired.

Hey KC, remember way back in high school in English lit class and the teacher talked about using paragraphs and such?

Please try, so dyslectics' and short attention span people like me can try to understand what your' talking about. I almost had a seizure trying to read your posts.

Smack said:
kcsilversmith said:
Sorry for the rambling after sobering up I even had to read it twice to figure out my point.

If ur lucky enough to get one of these men to talk the education is priceless.

Now that right there'd make a fellers i's tired.

After reading that, I sort of miss my Chinese professor of modern physics. I understood more of what he was saying, and he spoke very little English.

It's not the eyes that hurt, it's the brain.

Back