refining iridium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are lucky and the iridium is very dispersed in nano scale, then Ar will dissolve it. Otherwise you need a dangerous material - sodium peroxide for melting it together - to make it a compound and then AR. The rest is precipitation with ammonium chloride

Lino1406 said:
If you are lucky and the iridium is very dispersed in nano scale, then Ar will dissolve it. Otherwise you need a dangerous material - sodium peroxide for melting it together - to make it a compound and then AR. The rest is precipitation with ammonium chloride

Won't the ammonium chloride also reduce the osmium in solution?

I assume there is a difference in behaviour. While the expected iridium oxide does not dissolve easily, the expected sodium osmate can be dissolved by water and decanted

Lino1406 said:
I assume there is a difference in behaviour. While the expected iridium oxide does not dissolve easily, the expected sodium osmate can be dissolved by water and decanted

I guess I'm going off the assumption that natural osmium and iridium would be alloyed together as osmiridium and would be pretty acid resistant. Thus, wouldn't it need the sodium peroxide to get it in to solution. Then isn't it "just a matter of" distilling off the osmium, leaving Au and Ir in solution?

https://patents.google.com/patent/CN1428445A/en

There's a good patent to read. I better understand the sodium peroxide fusion process now.

As you say, it's unlikely there would be osmium still present in the sample to GO in to solution by the time you have an iridium compound you can get in solution.

Wow!That is unbelievable!I mean that is really a treasure worth at least 150 million dollars US for iridium and if you also have the amount of osmium that is stated here than you are already a billionaire!!!I mean if obviously the results are correct!

Yes and also don't listen to anyone about disposing of osmium,it might be the greatest mistake in your whole life!It's market price is over 13 US dollars per gram and you actually will never ever find a real piece of real osmium metal for less than 70 dollars per gram regardless of the quantity!Because market price is only nominal and speculative here and the real price is at least 70$/gram which is the same for quantities measured in tonnes:you will never ever find a tonne of real osmium metal for less than 70 million dollars US therefore!And trust me:if you will once put your tonne of real osmium metal for sale,after you refine it(which is actually the simplest thing you might imagine in whole chemistry!Will describe it in a moment!)-that will be sold out all over the world in less than 3 months,for the price that I mentioned!

So how to refine osmium!That is actually what I personally did for several times successfully and safely while being yet a simple guy with a garage!Just the only thing that you will require is a proper setup!So it must be sealed and must withstand temperature of around 1000°C in the processing vessel for hours and maybe days,while at the same time being coated with something that withstands an attack with hot osmium tetraoxide vapour(platinum is actually enough here,just a plating I mean),and so what you do is you put your material into that vessel and apply a constant flow of oxygen or at least air so it oxidizes osmium in your material into that vessel and the tetraoxide vapour is what you expect to build up in another vessel,where you have only osmium tetraoxide with no any oxygen from the first one and from the other pipe you apply hydrogen gas and simply heat either your tetraoxide vapour or better the hydrogen flow and so what happens when osmium tetraoxide meet hot hydrogen with no air present at all(which is crucial here!)-the osmium metal will be displaced by hydrogen and so you will get a water vapour(which should be removed from there)and osmium sponge accumulating on the bottom!So that is how you will make even more money than from iridium if the results of XRF are correct!

Anyway about iridium refining that is another story,vastly more difficult and long,and need incomparably more effort to do so!So if you want to know that you can just write me that you are interested and I will describe the process that I used myself for this purpose and in brief it was done with using inquartation method which might be costly but it is really the only good way to do that!

So,waiting for you to respond,bro!And by the way I would also be glad to buy a sample from you-especially osmiridium!

Iridium chaser said:
Yes and also don't listen to anyone about disposing of osmium,it might be the greatest mistake in your whole life!It's market price is over 13 US dollars per gram and you actually will never ever find a real piece of real osmium metal for less than 70 dollars per gram regardless of the quantity!Because market price is only nominal and speculative here and the real price is at least 70$/gram which is the same for quantities measured in tonnes:you will never ever find a tonne of real osmium metal for less than 70 million dollars US therefore!And trust me:if you will once put your tonne of real osmium metal for sale,after you refine it(which is actually the simplest thing you might imagine in whole chemistry!Will describe it in a moment!)-that will be sold out all over the world in less than 3 months,for the price that I mentioned!

So are you offering to make finished products out of osmium? I want a ring. I'll source the osmium and send it to you. Sorta serious. Can you do it for $70 / gram? Even $100 / gram.

Osmium's cost when buying has very little to do with it's rarity, but everything to do with the difficulty of getting it into a finished product. As you know, there are so few people that can work with it from a refining perspective, and even fewer from a finished product perspective.

I can buy literal tons of aerospace scrap for the cost of manufacture and virgin material costs of a single custom alloy machined part. It's all about the added value.

Unfortunately I currently don't have enough tools for that:my finished product is usually done for now as refined and melted beads of 99.99% PGMs-that rather rarely but does include osmium metal beads.But here we are talking about enormous amount of osmium in such material:he literally has more than 5 times the annual world production of the second rarest metal among naturally occurring ones and so it is worth even building a small processing facility for such a giant amount!And obviously when it comes to specified equipment that will be there to process it-that will not be a big deal to safely work with it!

Hello to all friends here is my latest development that I want to share any suggestions plz I will be very appreciate.

Attachments

• 20190614_212511.jpg
    20190614_212511.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 139
  • 20190514_232751.jpg
    20190514_232751.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
Thanks my friend platdigger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-18-23-16-35.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-18-23-16-35.png
    727.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG-20190506-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20190506-WA0016.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 87
Dear

can you please tell me the origin of this material
I have also same material
I am working on this ore

please contact me for more
discussion

Fayaz Ahmad
what's app: +92 331 4229889
Cell: +92 322 4483096

Desafortunadamente, actualmente no tengo suficientes herramientas para eso: mi producto terminado generalmente se hace por ahora como perlas refinadas y derretidas de 99.99% PGM, que rara vez incluyen perlas de metal de osmio. Pero aquí estamos hablando de una enorme cantidad de osmio en tal material: ¡literalmente tiene más de 5 veces la producción mundial anual del segundo metal más raro entre los que ocurren naturalmente, por lo que vale la pena incluso construir una pequeña instalación de procesamiento para una cantidad tan grande! Y obviamente cuando se trata de equipos específicos que estará allí para procesarlo, ¡no será un gran problema trabajar con él de manera segura!
¿Conoces el reto de refinar Osmio? y lo peligroso que puede ser, creo que muy pocos aquí manejan estos trámites. pero me gustaria saber de donde es material sdalio

Back