respirator mask and safety tips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420refiner

I'm new to the refining world and new to this hobby. The first few things I've been looking in to is safety but I can't figure out what kind of face mask i should buy and wear while using these dangerous chemicals. can anyone help me out?

I'm new to the refining world and new to this hobby. The first few things I've been looking in to is safety but I can't figure out what kind of face mask i should buy and wear while using these dangerous chemicals. can anyone help me out?
Welcome!

No mask will protect against the gases here, one need to use a fume hood.
Well not entirely correct, but it is not feasible, since they have limited life after opening them.
They are good as an escape system, not much more.

Here are some reading for you.
We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Welcome to the forum.
Here is a good list of discussions about face masks with filter cartdidges and why not to waste money on them.

Martijn.

Back