Reuse of HCL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the copper that does the work in AP. Steve has a PDF on his site that will tell you more than you probably want to know about it.

The AP reaction should really be called the Copper II Chloride reaction as this is the active ingredient.

Insoluble Copper I Chloride builds up and causes the dark brown color and off white to gray colored salts in the gold foils. Bubbling air or adding a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in the presence of HCl will convert the CuCl into reactive CuCl2 (Copper I Chloride to Copper II Chloride).

Steve

Oz said:
It is the copper that does the work in AP. Steve has a PDF on his site that will tell you more than you probably want to know about it.

I read it oz Just like you said :), that is the only way I am starting to understand the AP proccess even enough to attempt to make the statement i did

Wop said:
So if I am undestanding this putting copper in AP creates CuCl and that is what keeps the reaction going?

What I should have said:So if I am undestanding this putting copper in AP creates CuCL2 and that is what keeps the reaction going when "steve said:you bubble air in it or ad peroxide to it" you regenerate it.

Babysteps :)

I have some AP solution that is very dark green. I add more peroxide and it keeps right on working but I've now got so much copper that any gold in solution is dropping out into a brown powder. I'm adding this to the foils to redissolve in HCL/Cl later. I started a new batch of AP.

To regenerate the old batch do I remove the copper (after testing for gold is negative) by placing some scrap steel in the bucket and then when the copper is gone do I just add more peroxide to rejuvinate the solution?

Thanks,

Steve

No once you take the copper out it is done, I know there is a ferric cloride type compound use to ecth pc boards but I do not know if the ferric chloride resulting from adding iron to the spent ap can be converted to it or not.

jim

Does that mean I don't need to remove the copper at all? Just siphon off the liquid once in a while to get the gold that precips and add more peroxide?

I looked again and the color is almost a dark brown now instead of green. For the price of a gallon of HCL should I just start a new batch when it gets like this. I'm running 100's of cell phone boards right now which have a lot of copper so it's getting used up fairly quick.

Steve

Back