Selling gold via post

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snoman701 said:
Does anything except mistakes in the listing sell for under spot on eBay?? Serious question!
Sometimes, but rarely on a common search like "scrap gold", or "scrap silver". You have to search for more obscure listings; not necessarily mistakes in the listings, but lacking the common terms. Every silver buyer searches for "sterling", but not necessarily for "830", "850", "900", etc. There are still bargains to be found, but you have to be creative with your searches and be willing to put in a lot of time looking through a lot of listings hoping to find that little gold nugget among the buckets of gravel and sand.

Dave

snoman701 said:
Does anything except mistakes in the listing sell for under spot on eBay?? Serious question!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not put Jewellery on eBay any more it has kind of lost it's edge ,with the jewellery market being over flowing it is hard to get your listing sold with any thing other than a 99p start.Then you run the risk of getting under spot.
If I am lucky I get a lot in at 90% of spot from a client.
If some thing is worth trying to sell on it has to fetch at least 20% over spot to be brake even on eBay no room for profit.
By the time all the fees and transaction charges come in and the hour to pack and post.
I have a lot of quite nice items just sitting there,The only way to make good money is finding a small retail outlet that will take it sale or return.
At least that way you know who you are dealing with.
If a buyer says you have sent him a plated item eBay always seems to side with the buyer.
I only sell items that are free but usable.
No loss then saves money on a skip.
even then people still try it on over £5 some times.but with a free item you can just let it go and get on.
Not so with gold.

I know a few refiners who sort through jewelers and pawn shop lots for saleable jewelry and list it on ebay. They have ebay "stores" and hundreds if not thousands of listings. They pay the ebay fee's and paypal costs and still say it is worth it. And this isn't something they do on the cheap, they have workers who are hired to sort, photograph, describe the piece and ship it. And they make money. And I know they are telling the truth because they are still doing it.

I guess their pricing is still better than a brick and mortar jewelry store.

Have you bought at a brick and mortar store? That's a ride in itself! Two grams of gold and a couple mediocre sapphires and you are at $500.

I sell a lot on eBay....it makes 100% of my income. I know the games. I won't touch jewelry on eBay. I completely believe you on your friends, but it's an example of them using their knowledge as jewelers....they know what people are buying.

Myself.....I accepted a long time ago that my tastes in jewelry were equal to about 1% of the population. And that 1% doesn't usually buy jewelry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrG!,
It's been a while, but I've sold several pieces of refined gold here on our forum. The largest was around 53grams. The price was very near to spot and it was 99.9+ pure.
The way I do it is to have the gold ready to ship via USPS. The buyers wired the funds to my credit union account and I ship with-in an hour or two. I pick up the shipping and insurance. As soon as I leave the post office I contact the buyer and provide the tracking number. As soon as I am contacted that the gold was received and the buyer is satisfied with the product I withdraw the funds.
Never had any problems with doing it this way.
Hope this helps!
Art.

Back