Silver Chloride conversion success!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need proper stirring, nothing will cement unless it comes in contact with the Copper.
If its not properly stirred, parts of the liquid will never be in contact with the Copper.
Exactly 👍
and Yes I use a fish tank air pump to make the solution slowly circulated and still not all the silver is cemented.
even when I put lot of copper in it
and almost all the copper disolved in the solution.
i filter out the silver Chloride,put the solution in another bucket
and I add HCL
and next morning,i have Silver nitrate at the bottom of the bucket.

Last edited:
Exactly 👍
and Yes I use a fish tank air pump to make the solution slowly circulated and still not all the silver is cemented.
i filter out the silver nitrate,put in another bucket
and I add HCL
I guess Silver Chloride, right?

Exactly 👍
i filter out the silver Chloride,put in another bucket
and I add HCL
I definitely will do this on my next run for sure. Thank you for the tips, much appreciated.

So once again I attempted the Silver Chloride conversion to cement silver. This time after I rinsed the silver chloride and then added the Sodium Hydroxide and saw the particles turn black to silver oxide, I did not rinse it. I just added the corn syrup one tablespoon after another so 2 total. The mirror in the beaker came and went quickly leaving the gray cement silver. I then rinsed well with boiling water and then filtered. I'm comfortable now doing this on a small scale so I'm confident on a larger ( not too large) scale that I can do this without fail. I once again would like to thank all the gentlemen in the forum for their expert opinions and advice. I couldn't do it without you.
View attachment 60900
View attachment 60901View attachment 60902
Have u ever used sulfuric acid to dissolve

Sorry I had a typo, I have NOT used sulfuric acid.
Well I just did and it actually worked pretty good for me. I’ve tried doing the gold with the nitric and that process but could never drop my gold back out. So I gave up that and went to trying the sulfuric acid and lye/sugar method for silver and it works extremely well

Well I just did and it actually worked pretty good for me. I’ve tried doing the gold with the nitric and that process but could never drop my gold back out. So I gave up that and went to trying the sulfuric acid and lye/sugar method for silver and it works extremely well
What kind of gold did you dissolve and did you dissolve it with nitric or aqua regia ?

I have yet to try processing gold. I need to read up and study some more before I attempt this. It’s nice to see that there are many roads to the same outcome. Do you have a recipe to share with amounts ingredients to share. Processing time etc? Based on your experimentation?

What kind of gold did you dissolve and did you dissolve it with nitric or aqua regia ?
I dissolved foils from boards and pins into aqua regia. But after filtration and neutralization I could never get the gold to drop out. I would just have this brown liquid floating on the top of the solution and all my smb would solidify on the bottom. So I got frustrated and quit doing it. I just watched videos on cupelling. And I think that’s the way that would work best for me after failing with acids so many times.

I dissolved foils from boards and pins into aqua regia. But after filtration and neutralization I could never get the gold to drop out. I would just have this brown liquid floating on the top of the solution and all my smb would solidify on the bottom. So I got frustrated and quit doing it. I just watched videos on cupelling. And I think that’s the way that would work best for me after failing with acids so many times.
If you neutralize the acid to pH 7 the SMB do not work.
It have a pH of 4 or lower preferably closer to one.
How did you neutralize the solution?
Or did you mean destroy the Nitric?

Edited to correct text.

Last edited:
If you neutralize the acid to pH7 the SMB do not work.
It has have a pH of 4 or lower preferably closer to one.
How did you neutralize the solution?
Or did you mean destroy the Nitric?
Well I was always told to use urea which doesn’t work and baking soda doesn’t work for me so not sure how to neutralize it

Well I was always told to use urea which doesn’t work and baking soda doesn’t work for me so not sure how to neutralize it
First and foremost you do NOT neutralize it.
That is to bring the pH to 7 during during which Hydroxides form.
You need to destroy/decompose the surplus Nitric, if you have a surplus.
The best is of course to use just the Nitric needed by add the Nitric in small increments.
Next best is to use Sulfamic Acid not Urea.
There has been literally hundreds of posts emphasizing this.

Edit to correct language.

Did you ever read the links I provided to you?
Yes I do. I haven’t done that for a few months. I think the nitric I have is garbage anyways too. It’s Jsp nitric substitution crystals and it never dissolves anything I put in it

Back