Silver won't cement out onto copper from silver nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bes8718

I dissolved about 180g of sterling silver in nitric acid and everything was fine. It was all clear but when I added some distilled water it became hazy and cloudy and the silver won't cement onto the copper. The bar would just be clean or have very little layer of white stuff on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.IMG_20240301_090820.jpg

I dissolved about 180g of sterling silver in nitric acid and everything was fine. It was all clear but when I added some distilled water it became hazy and cloudy and the silver won't cement onto the copper. The bar would just be clean or have very little layer of white stuff on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 61856
I agree with Jon.
But it should still cement.
Check your pH, cementing requires the solution to be acidic if it is Nitrates.
How did you dissolve the Sterling?

Maybe the distilled water wasn't distilled water. You might have a bit of AgCl in there. Can you filter it back to clear again?
The water I used was the same I used to dissolve it in the first place so I'm confused how it couldn't be distilled. I'll try filtering it and see what happens

Dissolved the sterling in Nitric acid
It shows that you are in UK and i suppose you do it in your garage.
Weather there should be cold, so the reaction dosent really start.
You show picture of copper bar after 15 seconds. Heat a little the solution and let the bar inside overnight.
Take care, you will have some NOx comes out when you ciment out, so do it some where with good ventillation.

Don’t forget that the silver nitrate solution has to be diluted to prevent passivation. Also, judging by the cloudiness, I don’t think your water was distilled. That looks like silver chloride to me.

It shows that you are in UK and i suppose you do it in your garage.
Weather there should be cold, so the reaction dosent really start.
You show picture of copper bar after 15 seconds. Heat a little the solution and let the bar inside overnight.
Take care, you will have some NOx comes out when you ciment out, so do it some where with good ventillation.
You've solved it! Heated the solution and the silver is cementing like normal. Thank you!

Back