Smoke extraction

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phmatt

Hello,

I’ve noticed most persons on YouTube use a respirator while melting metal in a gas furnace or while inquarting with a torch. Now given the fact respirators are only viable for a short period of time after opening the cartridge and that they only filter particulate matter. What I have learned here is this a very dangerous practice. Previously I have always inquarted outside in the open with out a respirator. I have recently started up refining again and I am more cognizant of my mortality and just can’t deal with the hold your breath or run away run away mentally. So my question is? are there any other viable options to safely melt metal short of installing a full smoke extraction hood in my small shop because my fume hood is small and cramped and my reaction chamber and scrubbers are not movable easily. I would still prefer to do my hot work outside and have considered removing my hookah (oil less compressor for shallow scuba) off of my dredge and using my regular to breathe. But then again I would need to run the compressor with an electric motor and purchase a longer length of air line and then convert it back again when I go dredging. So what is the best solution given space, cost, safety and ease of use. I know what the large scale refineries are doing what are the little guys doing?

And most importantly please excuse the rambling I couldn’t sleep and figured I would get up and do a little reading

Hello,

I’ve noticed most persons on YouTube use a respirator while melting metal in a gas furnace or while inquarting with a torch. Now given the fact respirators are only viable for a short period of time after opening the cartridge and that they only filter particulate matter. What I have learned here is this a very dangerous practice. Previously I have always inquarted outside in the open with out a respirator. I have recently started up refining again and I am more cognizant of my mortality and just can’t deal with the hold your breath or run away run away mentally. So my question is? are there any other viable options to safely melt metal short of installing a full smoke extraction hood in my small shop because my fume hood is small and cramped and my reaction chamber and scrubbers are not movable easily. I would still prefer to do my hot work outside and have considered removing my hookah (oil less compressor for shallow scuba) off of my dredge and using my regular to breathe. But then again I would need to run the compressor with an electric motor and purchase a longer length of air line and then convert it back again when I go dredging. So what is the best solution given space, cost, safety and ease of use. I know what the large scale refineries are doing what are the little guys doing?

And most importantly please excuse the rambling I couldn’t sleep and figured I would get up and do a little reading
The little guys are using torches and nothing but the wind.
But then again melting clean precious metal do not pose much risk.
If you do a full smelting operation that is totally different saga.

The little guys are using torches and nothing but the wind.
But then again melting clean precious metal do not pose much risk.
If you do a full smelting operation that is totally different saga.
I thought that silver and copper posed a risk

I thought that silver and copper posed a risk
Copper may do, but it is not precious.
Silver should be safe as long as it is not overheated.

All this is in small scale, large operations are always different.

Copper may do, but it is not precious.
Silver should be safe as long as it is not overheated.

All this is in small scale, large operations are always different.
I keep losing my reply but here goes again: thank you for your reply I guess I will start inquarting with silver I just tried to avoid the extra steps in recovering the silver it’s been easier to just throw the small amounts recovered from karat scrap in a jar and save it for some day

I keep losing my reply but here goes again: thank you for your reply I guess I will start inquarting with silver I just tried to avoid the extra steps in recovering the silver it’s been easier to just throw the small amounts recovered from karat scrap in a jar and save it for some day
I don't quite understand.
Of course one recover the Silver form inquarting and parting, either cementing or Chloride conversion will do the trick.
And the Silver in the karat scrap will/can be troublesome due to passivization from the underlying Gold.

There is really only two ways for karat scrap, keep the Gold below 25% (inquarting) or serious mechanical stirring to break the Silver Chloride layer.

I don't quite understand.
Of course one recover the Silver form inquarting and parting, either cementing or Chloride conversion will do the trick.
And the Silver in the karat scrap will/can be troublesome due to passivization from the underlying Gold.

There is really only two ways for karat scrap, keep the Gold below 25% (inquarting) or serious mechanical stirring to break the Silver Chloride layer.
I’ve been inquarting with copper instead of silver if that makes it clearer. I don’t have a good way to melt the large quantities of silver cement from inquarting with silver and then parting. Also I don’t have a silver cell and I have never tried NAOH and sugar. Yes I do keep the silver chloride that I recover from the copper nitrate that I drop out with HCL but it is not a lot and when I get enough to process I’ll probably use the lye and sugar method. that being said it is probably time for me to start using silver instead of copper, cement the silver with copper, build a propane furnace and build a silver cell.

I’ve been inquarting with copper instead of silver if that makes it clearer. I don’t have a good way to melt the large quantities of silver cement from inquarting with silver and then parting. Also I don’t have a silver cell and I have never tried NAOH and sugar. Yes I do keep the silver chloride that I recover from the copper nitrate that I drop out with HCL but it is not a lot and when I get enough to process I’ll probably use the lye and sugar method. that being said it is probably time for me to start using silver instead of copper, cement the silver with copper, build a propane furnace and build a silver cell.
Just keep the Silver Chloride wet.

If you wish to continue to melt outside then simply place a decent fan by your furnace to blow any smoke/ fumes away from you.

Back