Stannous Chloride Crystals.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shark said:
I only heat mine to hot coffee temperature just long enough to see the reaction going pretty good. I then take it off the heat and let it work on it's own. You don't have to boil it or even heat it for any length of time. I have found running hot tap water on the side of the glass to be enough to get it going pretty quickly also. If your going to use tap water to heat it, install an outside hot water line, don't do it in the house.

Correct - there is no need for excessive heat to make stannous - unless for some reason you are in a real hurry to get it done --- excessive heat just concentrate's the HCL down (evaporation) which then allows for crystal formation when it cools --- if you are going to put it on heat till the reaction is complete - then put a watch glass on your beaker to minimize evaporation.

Like Shark - I will put mine on the outer edge of my hot plate just long enough the get the reaction started - then the reaction generates its own heat - when the reaction slows down at the end I sometimes put it back on the hot plate for a short time just to finish the reaction - that's if I am really in need because my old went bad

Kurt

joekbit said:
I have some AnCl / I think that's correct for gold chloride. I created it using a 22k gold stamp so I knew I had no impurities. The result was as advertised, immediate reaction, purplish color then as black as coal in just a few seconds.

Only two small corrections also from my side:

I would say you have 8% impurities in the feedstock. But it should work fine as is and if even processed painstaking, you really might be around the +99%.

AuCl? This would be monovalent gold. You have AuCl3 or H[AuCl4] or Na[AuCl4], depending on which process you have used for the last dissolution..

solar_plasma said:
joekbit said:
I have some AnCl / I think that's correct for gold chloride. I created it using a 22k gold stamp so I knew I had no impurities. The result was as advertised, immediate reaction, purplish color then as black as coal in just a few seconds.

Only two small corrections also from my side:

I would say you have 8% impurities in the feedstock. But it should work fine as is and if even processed painstaking, you really might be around the +99%.

AuCl? This would be monovalent gold. You have AuCl3 or H[AuCl4] or Na[AuCl4], depending on which process you have used for the last dissolution..
I will tell you what I did, I used 65% HCI with common house hold bleach 9% . first I dropped about 5 drops of HCI on the back of the stamp to delaminate the paper backing which I then removed. After that I washed it with some water and used a tooth brush to scrub off as much of the remaining pulp as I could. I then dried it and placed it in a 45ml jar.

At that time I used 3ml 65% HCI and 1 Ml of the bleach. In truth I was astounded, that stamp was gone so fast I really never saw the reaction. And yes I am aware of the very minimal impurities. After all it was 22k not 24k. I have about 500 of these stamps so I figured I could use a few to create some proofing solutions. I have 1 precipitated for a visual comparison and 1 for chemical comparison.

I believe this process comes under the Au(111) / Gold(3)

I have made tin chloride SnCl2

Now I want to convert it to Crystal form. How should I convert it to Crystal???

Evaporation would cause the stannous chloride to crystalize out of solution.

It will happen faster if the solution is saturated with tin.
Of course, be sure to filter it before your evaporation to make sure the crystals dont include impurities

I made my solution using the below mentioned processes.

1) 1gram stannous chloride powder
2) 10mL HCL.

Shook the both till it dissolved completely. The solution turned milky white and a little cloudy also when the bottle placed at rest. The solution didn't work.

Second method I used from this thread was, I mixed 3 grams of stannous chloride powder in 30ml distilled water and added about 7-8 drops of HCL. Dissolved it. The solution turned milky white but it didn't work either. I test it on the gold solution I made myself. I refined some scrap fingers and dissolved the gold particles in Aqua Regia. But I am unable to make a working stannous chloride solution.

P.S: I am not able to find lead-free solder, pure tin metal & gold standard solution in my city. So I'm pretty much on my own at making it. Should I try to heat the solution untill it becomes colourless and then test it?

Some experts opinion/suggestions is required for me to move on to the next step. I'll highly appreciate it.

Regards.

cyborrg - are you shure about your standart gold solution?

for example - maybe there is too much nitric acid, so stannos test doesn`t work? how exactly are you testing, and describe what happens?

maybe you could explain to us how did you prepare your auric chloride? how much fingers, how much acids exactly?

if i recall correctly i have prepared both SnCl+water+HCl and SnCl+water and both did work for me, only difference being that after dissolving SnCl powder in water it turns milky and after adding HCl it turns back clear again... I also put some pure tin metal in there, but as i understand it is just for extending shelf-life...

I really suggest you do not continiue without mastering Stannous testing tecniques, it really is your eyes and ears, I am shure some more expirienced members will come by shortly and sort it all out

I guess if you are unsure of your SnCl you can perform cross testing with some copperas... it is all in the Hoke`s book....

also: Welcome to this great forum :)

Cyborrg said:
I made my solution using the below mentioned processes.

1) 1gram stannous chloride powder
2) 10mL HCL.

Shook the both till it dissolved completely. The solution turned milky white and a little cloudy also when the bottle placed at rest. The solution didn't work.

Second method I used from this thread was, I mixed 3 grams of stannous chloride powder in 30ml distilled water and added about 7-8 drops of HCL. Dissolved it. The solution turned milky white but it didn't work either. I test it on the gold solution I made myself. I refined some scrap fingers and dissolved the gold particles in Aqua Regia. But I am unable to make a working stannous chloride solution.

P.S: I am not able to find lead-free solder, pure tin metal & gold standard solution in my city. So I'm pretty much on my own at making it. Should I try to heat the solution untill it becomes colourless and then test it?

Some experts opinion/suggestions is required for me to move on to the next step. I'll highly appreciate it.

Regards.
I got an old bottle stannous chloride last winter and I had a similar experience. I think that it had oxidized so it had gone bad. It will do that over time and if not kept in an air tight container.

But you don't need lead-free solder. Any solder with tin in it will do. I'm using an old pewter bowl that I cut up in small pieces and dissolve in HCl, works every time.
Even old circuit boards can be used to make stannous.

A gold standard solution is also easy to do your self, just dissolve some gold in aqua regia and use that.

Göran

Hi my Friends!
In the last post, the quote was, "the solution was milky. I made some gold solution with AR and the test solution didn't work"
Are you sure you didn't have unreacted nitric in your gold solution? If so, it won't work.
Add more gold to the AR till it won't dissolve any more. Then test!
Art.

Back