Stannous Chloride Test

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Topher_osAUrus said:
That is a downloadable pdf too, (clicking the cog in the upper right hand corner, and download pdf)
It does not give me that option.

Would you mind uploading it here or somewhere we can all get it from ?

FrugalRefiner said:
You can also put your pointer over the red EBOOK FREE icon at the left of the page and click on Download PDF from the pop up window.
I get a red 'GET PRINT BOOK' button with 'No eBook available' underneath it.

I'm in Spain, Europe, so there's probably some Google $ to hand over somewhere.

Google only gives the download alternative in USA (and probably Canada). For the rest of the world it only shows snippets of pages. :evil:

Here are a world readable copy.
https://archive.org/details/samplingandassa00smitgoog

Göran

aga said:
I actually binned each one after the photo :!:

Noob error, granted. Far too concerned about having a photo to post than thinking clearly.
You binned gold! :eek:

You have a long way to go before you can call yourself a refiner.

Never!!! Trow!!! Away!!! GOLD!!!

One part of refining is to save any filters and test papers in a burn pile, then incinerate and recover the gold in it.

Göran

Thanks Lou and Topher for the PDF, which is now in the reading-queue after Hoke's books are read (for the first time at least).

Göran, c'mon man. I've thrown Gold away for years - i'm married with kids.

It's a hard habit to quit !

If anyone has started a Goldseekers Anonymous self-help organisation, i'm in, but just for the gold.

Edit:

g_axelsson said:
You have a long way to go before you can call yourself a refiner.
Looks like i have Long way to go before i get anything metallic out of anything, including metal !

If one day i end up a Refiner, God will surely have been very drunk indeed on that day (or at least not looking)

aga said:
If one day i end up a Refiner, God will surely have been very drunk indeed on that day (or at least not looking)

Haha! You will get it aga. Try not to over think it at first. Keep it simple, follow the processes as laid out, and soon enough you will be holding your first refined gold.

Recovering that gold can get a bit more complicated, especially with escrap, but you've already seen that! :lol:

Topher_osAUrus said:
And if Lou says that it is accurate to 4ppm, THAT is something you can take to the bank. (after bookmark searching, it was 4metals who I initially read that posted it... and both of those men, Lou and 4metals {and numerous others} you should creep their old posts... you will be amazed at what you learn)

I absolutely agree with this.

Also, if you use a spot plate "white ceramic/plastic", the purple will leave a stain. If you don't see a positive result in the solution itself, you might be able to see it on the plate after rinsing it off.

Is not a picture worth a thousand words?
Probably worth more when trying to describe and understand the small differences in color hue.

Regardless, that was a good post with lots of good information.
Pictures would simply be a bonus

Without an image, a noob such as me would not what to look for.

Posting the link was Good.
Not checking that it still worked and still contained useful info was just idleness.

When i posted garbage about oxidation, at least i was very drunk.
No excuse i know, but at least i can admit it.

What exactly was your reason for posting a link to an obsolete thread ?

Good call.

I'll re-do the images when some shop-bought stannous chloride arrives, including Gören's cotton bud thing - that seems to work really well.

Perhaps any perceived antagonist will post their results sooner, saving me all the effort, although i doubt it.

Tends to work out that way.

Happily a delivery of porcelain spot/reaction plates and stannous chloride crystals arrived today - woohoo !

An SC test solution was made exactly following Hoke's instructions, then compared with the previous batch made by Lazersteve's recipe.

Additionally, the spot-plate, filter paper strip and cotton bud methods were compared.

HvsLS.JPG
Both SC recipes seem to work pretty much exactly the same.

Using the 2400ppm gold solution, the new SC was tested all the way down to 8ppm.

The spot-plate method certainly shows the colour better than filter paper, because there is none of that chromatography effect going on, although i guess that is useful when there's a mix of PMs & colours.

colours.jpg
(the 150ppm spot-plate test had way too much SC added which diluted the colour a lot)

The filter paper & cotton bud results were ok down to 75ppm, but came out pretty much blank at ~32ppm, whereas the colour was still obvious on the spot-plate.

At ~16ppm i fancied i could still see a faint hint of brown on the plate.
At ~8ppm it looked the same as a drop of distilled water in the spot next to it.

Maybe it was slightly over-diluted each time, or the tiny amount lost at each step due to the tests, but i could not get a result below 16ppm - not even a slight stain on the plate after 5 minutes.

Something like a spectrophotometer (or a younger person) would likely detect the colour better than my eyes can !

An immediate and obvious result at ~32ppm is still pretty awesome.

The accuracy of the measurement would be much improved if a larger volume of standard gold solution was used at the start, so i might give it a go with 10x starting material to see if i can get anywhere near Lou's 4ppm.

Awesome post aga!

Be sure to save all the cotton tips, test strips, and paper towels you soak up your spot plate with. That gold can be recovered later. I toss them in an old cottage cheese container and snap the lid back on.

Of course i didn't just throw them in the bin, and am not rummaging through the bin at the moment to collect all the gold-containing bits.

Honest :oops:

Very nice aga

A couple more questions, for the sake of science :mrgreen:

Did you denox the gold solution? Or was it an HCl+Bleach dissolution? -I still wonder if that is the reason why it's not as sensitive as it should be (although darn close)

Were the pictures taken immediately?
Was there any change in the prominence of color after an extended time had passed?

Good work, good sir! Got to love pictures. :twisted:

Back