Sun Ultra Sparc CPUs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was from the yield pic. As was mentioned by Glondor - pop them straight into AR complete and warm the solution gently and the metals are dissolved in under 30 mins. We were processing using 2 litre glassware, and counting 60 per time into the jar. Once the metals had been disoolved we decanted the AR straight into another 2 litre jar containing a further 60 fuzzies.

Rinse and repeat. (Naturally using all relevant safety processes 8) )

We did end up with two completely different coloured solutions but then again the fuzzies were manufactured in differing years so there's a chance that some had different base metals. I'm relatively sure, from research, that our final solutions contain Beryllium so we're going to deal with that properly before disposal.

The difference in colour on the gold powder is because the first batch of approx 9g wasn't washed as often as the later batches and is very slightly darker but that's no problem because we can always wash it all again. Overall the cleanliness appears very good. The quality of the initially dropped powder also appeared nearly as clean as the powder produced by clean fingers.

Attachments

• fuzzy primary yield.jpg
    fuzzy primary yield.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,267
This makes me feel pretty sick..I had a guy that just brought in 172lbs of these chips and tell me he threw all those away.

I have some of these dissolving at the moment... does the beryllium-rich liquid need to be treated any special way, or can it be treated like other waste?

Thanks,
Mike

manage to pick off these fuzz buttons for up close photo. i will try to remove some more for weight determination.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 979
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 980
average of 0.385grams(fuzz buttons) per this kind of cpu spacer. but they come in different sizes....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 909
also there is this type, silver in color. not sure what it is...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 910
  • image.png
    image.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 910
I have a couple fuzzbuttons from the old servers i just got. An oddity, one had gold fuzz buttons, the cpu right beside it had white.
The other cpus had both gold.
I have only ran the gold ones (i didnt punch them out, i just tossed them into AR with the cpu's). I will take some pictures of them as soon as i get home from the dentist office. They arent in a plastic, its almost as if they are on the plastic. -hard to describe, but, the picture will sum it up better than myself.

the last picture 'should' be a silver impregnated elastomer... I have been meaning to try a run or two, but havent found the time. I am fairly certain the film they are on is a polyamide tape (kapton) which is darn near impervious to everything, you should be able to through it right into nitric and/or HCl.

the gold fuzz yields from my runs were similar.... i got an average of 2.7wt% Au vs. holder weight, and 18.0wt% Au vs. fuzz wire weight.

Topher_osAUrus said:
I have a couple fuzzbuttons from the old servers i just got. An oddity, one had gold fuzz buttons, the cpu right beside it had white.
The other cpus had both gold.
I have only ran the gold ones (i didnt punch them out, i just tossed them into AR with the cpu's). I will take some pictures of them as soon as i get home from the dentist office. They arent in a plastic, its almost as if they are on the plastic. -hard to describe, but, the picture will sum it up better than myself.

With the CPU's that's just not right. Collectors would possibly have liked those CPU's.

Got to learn your machines and know your CPU's.

Just the fuzzbuttons, not the cpu...yet anyways.

Here are the white/silver fuzz buttons thst were on 2 of 6 cpu's

And another pic is of 3 more neat ones.

Attachments

• 0611161357b.jpg
    0611161357b.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 825
  • 0611161356a.jpg
    0611161356a.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 825
  • 0611161403.jpg
    0611161403.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 825
hfywc said:
average og 0.385grams per this kind of cpu spacer. but they come in different sizes....

I've got three pounds or so of these CPU spacers. I hope to process them in poor mans AR soon.
Anyone want to venture a guess as to what three pounds of them might yield? 8)

3 pounds of gold fuzz wire connectors.... probably a shade over and ounce of gold... test for palladium and platinum too. it might not be much, but never hurts to add it to the stockpot if its in there.

any update glorycloud? where you able to get the net weight of just the fuzz buttons?

I still have all the cpu holders with fuzzy connectors ready for processing in AR. I just don't
have a safe place to do any processing of this sort. Maybe 2017 will be the year?? 8)

glorycloud said:
I still have all the cpu holders with fuzzy connectors ready for processing in AR. I just don't
have a safe place to do any processing of this sort. Maybe 2017 will be the year?? 8)
Maybe so :wink:

great! so far, this is what i have accumulated... from about 2lbs of assorted fuzz connectors.

Attachments

• IMG_2378.JPG
    IMG_2378.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 404
sorry i forgot exactly... but i remember counting by the hundreds.

some more remaining fuzzies...

Attachments

• IMG_2379.JPG
    IMG_2379.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 398
  • IMG_2381.JPG
    IMG_2381.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 398

Latest posts

Back