Tilting furnace build.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final post on this topic

I learned some valuable lessons from the build.

Before I get into the major points I wanted to Express my gratitude for everybody that commented or viewed this thread.

Specifically 4metals and Lou for suggesting that a nose pour furnace was the way to go.

Also to 4metals for pointing me in the right direction for crucibles with a spout.

Lou also suggested a hydraulic tilt mechanism.

I incorporated all these suggestions in the other two furnaces I built. (Seperate thread)

To jimdoc and frugal refiner who held my hand while I learned to post pictures and videos on the forum.

The burner was a separate challenge. I was not able to get the temperature I was after with a aspirated burner design. If I ever circle back to it I think kurtak has a good design I would like to see more of. (It's ok to be a copy cat as long as you copy the right cat)

I also tried compressed air and soon found that my 5 horse and 10 horse compressors did not give me the sustained temperature that I wanted.

In the end I went with commercial burners that have squirrel cage blowers. Also they had the benefit of pre engineered safety control and automatic pilot light features. More on these when I finish the other two furnaces.

Finally I dismantelled this furnace. I modified it's angle iron frame to support another furnace. And I plan to use the shell and burner for a pyrolysis unit trial in the future.

Thanks to all

Rick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back