Time-lapse deposition of cement silver on copper pipes

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Ball

Supporting Member
I made a time-lapse youtube video of my recent cement silver depostion using sterling silver feed stock.
About 4 hours is condensed into one minute. The strange looking growth at the top of the pipes is
interesting. I have seen it before in other videos. Makes me wonder what is going on that does happen
earlier in the process. Hypothesis: diluted silver nitrate deposits more slowly and make a more compact
mold/mushroom or spongy looking material. Any other ideas?

I made a time-lapse youtube video of my recent cement silver depostion using sterling silver feed stock.
About 4 hours is condensed into one minute. The strange looking growth at the top of the pipes is
interesting. I have seen it before in other videos. Makes me wonder what is going on that does happen
earlier in the process. Hypothesis: diluted silver nitrate deposits more slowly and make a more compact
mold/mushroom or spongy looking material. Any other ideas?

Great time lapse James !!!!
What was the weight of silver that cemented out and how much nitric/water solution was the silver digested in ?

I used ~1100 grams sterling silver in 1000 ml distilled water. I added 1100 ml 67% nitric acid. I had to add another 70 grams or so of sterling silver to ensure the nitric acid had been consumed (spoon was remaining even after hours of boiling). I filtered it twice: once through a fast filter and once through a fine filter. I added distilled water to a total volume was 4500 ml before I added the copper pipes.

I do not have weight of the cemented silver yet - tomorrow. I wash it until clear, boil it with 10% sulfuric acid and wash it until clear. add 10% ammonia (no heating) and wash it until clear. Makes a very nice looking silver shot for the silver electrolysis cell.

I want the silver going into my silver electrolysis cell as pure as possible. The more copper I elminate the longer the electrolyte will last. I see blue color at the beginning of the sulfuric acid wash and even the ammonia wash. This is even after the previous step had been washed colorless.

The filtrate has a lot of silver nitrate. I am not sure what you are really asking here.

Last edited:
Why does the cemented material change colour in the very end and become greenish? ( At the top of the pipe) Is it so that the last amount silver drags impurities (copper?) with it?

What is the purpose of this washing method ?

Kurt
How we can get pure silver for make silver anode and silver nitrate for the first time of building silver cell, in case silver crystals is not available, can we do it with silver from NaOH/Sugar method or there is another better source?

I bought my silver in two forms: pure silver nitrate and silver shot. I used the silver nitrate directly for the electrolyte. I used the silver shot for electrolyte by dissolving it in nitric acid. I used cemented silver to make an anode - it does not have to be .999 fine to work as an anode.
Why does the cemented material change colour in the very end and become greenish? ( At the top of the pipe) Is it so that the last amount silver drags impurities (copper?) with it?
I looked at the video again. I can see where you think it turned green. I think it is an artifact of the video as it was never green when I harvested the silver. I melted it down yesterday and it was a very good looking silver. It looked very pure as far as one can tell visually.

I want the silver going into my silver electrolysis cell as pure as possible. The more copper I elminate the longer the electrolyte will last. I see blue color at the beginning of the sulfuric acid wash and even the ammonia wash. This is even after the previous step had been washed colorless.

The filtrate has a lot of silver nitrate. I am not sure what you are really asking here.

Hello James

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this but have not been feeling so good & in fact had to take the last couple days off work & spending those days in bed

First of all let me say nice time laps video of cementing silver with copper - when I was full time refining for a living silver was my "bread & butter" so I cemented a lot of silver & I always enjoyed watching the cement silver slough off the copper during the cementing process (not that I stood there & watched it but checked on it from time to time to see how it was going

Now to the reasons for my question
Have you tested the filtrate (the solution after filtering) for silver ?

To which you replied

Per the bold print that is what I thought (& the reason for my question)

The reason I figured there is/was still a lot of silver nitrate in your solution after cementation came to a stop (&/or slowed WAY down) was that nowhere in the video did it show you stirring the silver cement that was sloughing off the copper - but rather that you simply put the copper in & let the cementing do its thing until the cementation slowed WAY down &/or stopped --- so you did not get complete cementation of the silver & here is why

In order to get complete cementation of the silver - ALL of the silver ions in the solution MUST come in contact with the copper -in other words - if dissolved silver ions don't make direct contact with the copper the ion exchange of copper going into solution & thereby cause the silver to cement (drop out) of solution can not take place

So what happens if you simply put the copper in the solution & "let it do its thing" is that as the silver is sloughing off the copper & starts pilling up in the beaker & dissolved silver nitrate ions start getting "trapped" in the silver cement that is piling up in the beaker preventing those "trapped" silver ions from making direct contact with the copper which in turn prevents those silver ions from make the ion exchange with the copper (copper going into solution & actual silver coming out of solution) Which in turn prevents you from getting complete cementation of the silver from your solution

So in order to get complete cementation of all the silver you have in solution you MUST from time to time "stir up" the silver cement that is building up in the beaker in order to bring the silver ions getting trapped in the cement up & out of the cement so that they can make direct contact with the copper & make that copper/silver ion exchange

In other words - you MUST stir the silver cement up OFTEN in order to bring the silver ions trapped in the silver cement up & out of the cement silver so they can make contact with the copper or you will NOT get complete cementation of the silver

As you get closer & closer to the completion of the cementing process you need to do this stirring more often & more continuously (longer) & that is because the closer you get to the end of the process you have less & less silver ions spread out more & more not only in the solution but in the cement silver as well - so those few & few ions being more & more spread out in the solution & cement needs more stirring to bring those fewer ions in contact with the copper to complete the ion exchange

I am not saying that as you near the end of the process you need to stir without stopping - just that you need to do it more often & "a bit" longer

Something like this

In the beginning - after about 15 - 20 minutes of cement building up in your beaker you want to give the cement a good "quick" stir (stir for a few seconds) to bring trapped silver ions up out of the cement to make contact with the copper --- you want to be careful here because if you over stir you can cause a runaway reaction that will cause the reaction to foam up & out the top of your beaker (taking cement silver with it) so let it settle until the reaction slows back down (10 - 15 maybe 20 minutes)

As the reaction (foaming) starts to die down after each time you stir the cement you want to start to stir the cement "a bit" more often & "a bit" longer (this is somewhat determined by the amount of reaction you see when stirring) - example - stir "about every 10 minutes for "about" 1 or 2 minutes & again allowing some time for settling (this settling time also allows for the time needed to make the exchange of the silver ions with the copper)

Again - how often & how long you want to stir as well as how long you want to let settle depends on the reaction you see taking place between each stirring

One way to tell that is by how the silver is sloughing off the copper

As you get closer & closer to the end of the cementation process the time it takes for the silver to sough (fall) off the copper slows down --- this is in part because fewer silver ions are making contact with the copper so it starts taking more time for the silver to build up on the copper before becoming heavy enough to fall off

Also - as silver ions become fewer & few the silver cement particles become smaller & more light weight so the sloughing off slows down - this is the "mossy" buildup of the silver you start to see on the copper as you get closer to the end of the cementation process & this mossy build is the result of the acid becoming more loaded with copper ions & less silver ions --- so the acid is becoming less & less effective (weaker) at making the ion exchange

As I said the silver ions MUST make contact with the copper for the ion exchange to take place - so - as you get closer to the end of the cementing process you need to stir more often not only to bring silver ions up out of the cement to make contact with the copper but also to knock the cement that is not sloughing off the copper as fast so the fewer & fewer silver ions can come in contact with the copper

So - if you don't stir more often as you get closer to the end of the process - to keep that mossy silver knocked off the copper & because the acid is becoming weaker & less effective at making the ion exchange - if you allow that mossy silver to build up on the copper for to long the weaker acid starts creating copper oxides - instead of fully dissolving the copper - which ends up in your cement silver --- so stirring more often closer to the end of cementing process to reduce large amount of copper oxides ending up in your silver cement

You know you have come to a point of very near complete (if not complete) cementation when you see little or no mossy silver collecting on the surface of the copper after letting the silver settle for a couple minutes after stirring --- you can test to make sure all the silver is cemented by taking a few ml of the solution (after settling) & adding a few drops of HCl to that few ml test sample of the solution to see if a silver chloride cloud happens

Bottom line here - cementing silver with copper is not as simple as simply putting some copper in the solution & letting it do its thing (just letting the copper sit in the solution until you see little or no more reaction) --- cementation is a "process" that requires stirring (or some other type of agitation) so that ALL the silver ions make direct contact with the copper

Like anything else in refining - there is a bit of a learning curve to cementation

And for what it is worth - you can in fact turn out cement silver that is between 99 -995 with absolutely NO need for any kind of chem washing (sulfuric/ammonia etc.) just water washing

I will talk about that if/when I get a chance to post again

Kurt

I understand you question now. I have not checked my solution for silver nitrate after adding copper pipes. Next time. I stirred once vigoursly and then let it sit overnight with the copper. My yield was high - about 91% for sterling silver. I will try stirring more often next time too.

I have wondered about my chemical treatment. I wind up washing it more to get rid the blue color and silver looks remarkably pure. Makes me wonder if my silver is more pure soley because I wash it more rather than the sulfuric acid and ammonia chemically removing copper.

& this mossy build is the result of the acid becoming more loaded with copper ions & less silver ions --- so the acid is becoming less & less effective (weaker) at making the ion exchange

I am confused about this sentence. I know the solution is acidic but the concentration of HNO3 has to be low as I let the solution sit over night in the precense of sterling silver - this should consume most of the acid. Do you mean the silver ions are becoming less and less effective at making the ion exchange? As I understand the chemistry of this reaction, acid (HNO3) does not play a significant role.

I hope you feel better soon. There is no need for a quick reply. Take care of yourself.

Jim

Last edited:
I ran another batch of sterling silver into silver shot the past few days. I filtered the cement silver from the copper pipe containing solution as usual. I tested this blue solution for the presence of silver nitrate by adding concentrated salt (NaCl) solution and saw no precipitate at all. This suggests I am getting all of the silver out of the silver nitrate solution. I always assumed I did but now I tested it to verify this assumption. Nice to verify that copper got out all of silver. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back