TUMBLER CELL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I have processed 2850 grams of pins. I have 650 grams left, then I will retire the tumbler till my supply grows again.

Sunday, I processed 1000 grams.

I will post the yeild from the total 3500 grams when I am done.

All total, I figure that I processed 3000 grams of pins. The results are in, I have 17.4 grams of black powder after all the processing, but alais, I am out of gas. Will get some in the morning and post final nugget.....Jack

hello firewalker ,

I see your thumblercell that is good and creative idea i want to get some information about thumblercell (1) steel plate in the hole bucket what can you do to provide the current via steel wire or via shaft who pass through in the pvc pipe ? because i want to making my thumblercell only your information can help me . and if you do any modification in thumblercell please tell us because you have more creative ideas.

firewalker said:
All total, I figure that I processed 3000 grams of pins. The results are in, I have 17.4 grams of black powder after all the processing, but alais, I am out of gas. Will get some in the morning and post final nugget.....Jack

Your black powder needs further refined in AR or HCL/Cl before melting.

OK, help me out here. How great an improvement in his gold quality will he see
when re-dissolving and re-refining as you suggest? Is it because he is processing pins?
Just an approximate estimate would be helpful or a more detaiked explanation as to
what that second process will eliminate potentially.

Many thanks!!

How great an improvement in his gold quality will he see
when re-dissolving and re-refining as you suggest? Is it because he is processing pins?
Just an approximate estimate would be helpful or a more detaiked explanation as to
what that second process will eliminate potentially.

In order for gold to be reused for most new products, it must be first refined to a minimum of 99.95% purity. If it's not at least that purity, it is not pure or Fine gold. This has been the accepted minimum standard in the industry for many years. When companies make new gold products, they want to start with (and, in most cases, MUST start with) pure gold. Therefore, if it is less than that purity, it MUST be refined by someone. Refining costs money. Either you refine it to at least that purity or receive less money when you sell it.

When gold is pure, the buyer knows what he is getting. He knows that there are not impurities in it that would create problems when new products are made. For some uses, gold plating salts, e.g., the gold must start at 99.99% pure.

I feel safe in saying that the black powdered gold coming out of the sulfuric cell is NEVER that minimum purity of 99.95%, no matter what you are running. It's not even close and melting won't help the purity much. Purity is a go/no-go thing. It either is or it isn't. If it isn't, it must be refined. Even if the purity is 99.90%, it will have to be refined by someone before it can enter back in to the marketplace.

gst42know is right. Sulfuric stripping is a recovery process and not a refining (purification) process.

After I had the black powder, I could dissolve it in AR and refine it easily to 99.95% in, say, 2 hours. It's so simple at that stage that one would be foolish not to do it.

Great - thanks for the reply. This is somewhat like having to wash the gold folis when
they are removed from the finger cards in lieu of just melting them w/o going through
the washing process prior to dissolving in HCL / Clorox.

I haven't used a cell but I understand now.

Thanks!

firewalker said:
17.4 grams of black powder after all the processing,

I guess I should have been more descriptive. I used the word black cause I was thinking about the powder in the cell when I posted. I did state "after all the processing", I guess I should have been specific in that I finished processing the power by washing with water(4 times), hcl(3 times), and ammonia(1) time and finished by using A/C and dropping with SMB.

After all is said, I still have 17.4 grams of powder LOL

If it is all gold you will still have 17.4g after AR or HCL/Cl. If it is not you will have a 17.4g of not quite pure gold.

You won't know for sure until you finish the job.

Edit

A/C = HCL/CL Sorry I missed that. :oops:

My nugget is so far for me because i am beggar........oops sorry I say wrong because i am beginner in the refining.:lol: :lol: :lol:

goldsilverpro said:
What is the voltage and amperage when you run 1/2 pound? Have you experimented with higher amperage to decrease the time. You have quite a bit of solution and I don't think you would have problems with the solution overheating. Of course, you don't want to overheat the cables.

GSP, this question is reguarding a regular cell, i just made mine today, and used it heavily for a while, mostly testing this and that. after a while, i concentraed on CPU lids.

i noticed the acid got HOT and the more i ran, the worse things got. my cable between the aligator clipd were sizzling, ect
cell specs:
HIGH concentrate sulfuric... (i used Clobber from the plumbing supply house, not avail to just anyone)
6/12 vdc 6 amp charger set on 12 vdc @ 6 amp
Lead anode / cathode
the hotter it got the slower things went, is it possible i have saturated the acid? (i really didnt do that much) is the high heat normal?
what can be done to not get the acid so hot? i assume its not good?
the acid was so hot that i splashed some on my arm and it imeadiatly blistered (generally you can splash sulphuric on ya and can run to the sink and get it off with out serious injury)
any comments?

thanks in advance for your insight Ryan

L

if wires burn amperage is high, current and voltage cause wattage, and wattage is heat, I dont run a sulfuric cell, but I will venture to say the metal content is high in solution almost shorting out your power supply.

here is a trick for a cheap but very good regulator, I use in electrorefinning, and other things. add a light bulb in series with your cell, example the positive wire from power supply to the light bulb then a wire from other side of light bulb terminal to the anode of your cell, the light bulb acts as a variable resistance, and control the amperage your cell will pull from power supply, the wattage of the light bulb will determine maximum current through it, it also acts as an indicator as to condition of your cell (or circuit), if cell is a short the lamp lights full brightness, if very little current in cell the bulb is dim,
this is an old trouble shooting tool to find shorted circuits or protect equiptment if there is a short,
heck fix one up to fit the fuse box of yer truck for next time yer troublshooting those shorted out horse trailer lights.

In most electrolytic systems, you are limited to so many amps per unit volume, before overheating or other problems occur.

How large is your tank? How many amps are you running?

In the large 50 gal tank I ran, I pulled 250 amps - 5 amps/gallon. That increased the solution temperature to about 110F max, after running all day, a figure I was comfortable with. You are obviously running much higher than that.

GSP, my tank hold about a 1/2 gallon, and runs between 6 and 8 amps,

i will tune in down to half of that or less, which would put me within your figures.

I only guess that overheating this acid is not good, and will shorten the life of it?

Thanks again, ryan

Back