Very dangerous mistake, do not be me

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heathenmojo

So cleaning out the smelting rewards from the bottom of my outdoor blast furnace, someone forgot their respirator, I figured one time would be little harm and took extra caution to create and breathe as lil dust as possible, as new to this game but sI weld and know all about the dangers of breathing in metal particulates, especially very hazardous one like lead, mercury, etc, No metal is healthy to breathe in, though things like iron and normal steel your body can easily break down and purge itself of, others like aluminum and..........gold........well, they are going to stay with you a very very long time. So two hours after completing my kiln clean out task, I found out just how stupid and reckless I decided to be that day. Do not be me, WEAR A RESPIRATOR, and not a n95, love yourself enough to buy a good one rated for all the types of VOC you might encounter whilst smelting, make sure it fits your facial structure snuggly before purchasing. Anyone else of have this kinda bad joke appear in their hanky? Its not super gross, but there is a gross factor of you are weak on such subject do not open.

Attachments

• Bad joke snot.jpg
    Bad joke snot.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Not precisely that, but i did have a bunch of funny things come out, lol. Thanks for the reminder of security :) And get well, i guess you were lucky, drink plenty of water.

Not precisely that, but i did have a bunch of funny things come out, lol. Thanks for the reminder of security :) And get well, i guess you were lucky, drink plenty of water.
Lucky?... without gastrointestinal tract irrigation, supportive care, and chemical decontamination traditional-based chelation therapy with appropriate new chelating agents and nanoparticle-based antidotes he's looking at lung cancer among other forms of cancer in the coming years

Lucky?... without gastrointestinal tract irrigation, supportive care, and chemical decontamination traditional-based chelation therapy with appropriate new chelating agents and nanoparticle-based antidotes he's looking at lung cancer among other forms of cancer in the coming years
Geez, best wishes to you as well. I have breathed worse previously in my younger I'm invincible days, but agreed was nothing good that I breathed in and if I'm smart I do not repeat that careless mistake

Geez, best wishes to you as well. I have breathed worse previously in my younger I'm invincible days, but agreed was nothing good that I breathed in and if I'm smart I do not repeat that careless mistake
How many mistakes do we get before our recklessness catches up to our mistakes? Ask freechemist,!wait we can’t he didn’t survive. And he was a very intelligent, well trained chemist. One of many no longer amount us. Chemical poisoning is no joke or to be taking lightly among this community.

How many mistakes do we get before our recklessness catches up to our mistakes? Ask freechemist,!wait we can’t he didn’t survive. And he was a very intelligent, well trained chemist. One of many no longer amount us. Chemical poisoning is no joke or to be taking lightly among this community.
I take it lightly? Okay and what was the purpose of this post? As for how many mistakes we are allowed, thats relative to each individual I feel, and as for myself, I've slept upon my pillow stuffed with the feathers of angels for several decades now. If I may ask in the hopes of avoiding the same mistake FREECHEMIST made, what exactly was his costly mistake? As long as we learn we will make mistakes!

I take it lightly? Okay and what was the purpose of this post? As for how many mistakes we are allowed, thats relative to each individual I feel, and as for myself, I've slept upon my pillow stuffed with the feathers of angels for several decades now. If I may ask in the hopes of avoiding the same mistake FREECHEMIST made, what exactly was his costly mistake? As long as we learn we will make mistakes!
He probably died due to prolonged exposure of PGM salts.
But the lesson was that he was a trained chemist working in a professional lab, and even that went bad.

We used all manner of organic dyes and biological stains in our lab in the hospital. No matter how much airflow we had, some of the dust ALWAYS found its way up the nose. You'd have various colors of boogers afterward...

One of the worst culprits was bromphenol blue, which was basically dust-sized particles that jumped all over the place and floated around in the static-filled, super-dry lab air. It went EVERYWHERE. You wouldn't see it until you got it wet, then dark blue dots appeared all over the place: benchtops, lab coats, clothes, hands, face... and of course up the nose.

I take it lightly? Okay and what was the purpose of this post?
I don't think was his point. He was not saying you do so. Just generally speaking.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Not everybody will out of pride or shame.
As you said we need to learn from our mistakes.
Discussing them warns others.

I hope you won't get any health problems from this. See a doctor if you have doubts. You can have you blood checkèd for heavy metals.
Our body has the ability to expell some pollutants.
How big a mistake will be fatal depends on a lot of factors. Your heath is one.

Thats a bit harsh imo.
He possibly has a chance to get sick from this. There is also a good chance he won't.

No need to drain his life savings with expensive therapy if he coughes up the rest in time. It's our natural filter. Slime produced in the lungs.

Prevention is best though. Prepare for the task ahead and asses the risks before you start. Take measures. Stay alive.

Have fun.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

I compare Refining with a very poisoning Snake
If You Don’t know how to handle
it will bite You .

A Good Friend of mine ,He was using Chlorine to dissolve gold and by a very little mistake
He almost Die .

So For me NO Chlorine use for dissolving
gold!!.

Every time when I see a new Member
saying that they will take refining like a Hobby
Men i get scare
because this very serious business

Not a game ,it have to take lot of discipline
and lot of safety knowledge

in Youtube video it’s appears easy
but it si Not easy at all.

and i don’t play with Pd either.
is a No No for me
because i don’t know how to
so i don’t try it.

i let Pd refining to the Pro.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many people die from this sort of thing over all? Like is there a RIP section of the forums? Wing suit divers have a high mortality rate but people still do it because the danger and the thrill are about even in their mind. I did some stupid dangerous stuff before I got on this forum but I am now doing nothing of the sort and spending that time and energy on designing a process that minimizes such exposure risks. I understand it is very real. Also the picture just looks like boogers to me what is the specific issue with them?

Does anyone know how many people die from this sort of thing over all? Like is there a RIP section of the forums? Wing suit divers have a high mortality rate but people still do it because the danger and the thrill are about even in their mind. I did some stupid dangerous stuff before I got on this forum but I am now doing nothing of the sort and spending that time and energy on designing a process that minimizes such exposure risks. I understand it is very real. Also the picture just looks like boogers to me what is the specific issue with them?
There are only known members of which tale managed to get back here, I couldn't think how many world wide did in last 23 years alone.
Ofcourse one can't blame everything on chemistry, but it can surely be the drop that overfilled the glass.

Refining precious metals
is Not quick get rich scheme
that You can find around

Even mining is Not a get rich fast scheme

forgot about all those lie.

it take time to learn the trade

but before playing with all this chemical

Learn the Safety side of it.
Safety,Safety and more safety

this is a must.

before playing with acid.

Refining is not for every one

it require a great amount of discipline
and reading books
before playing with those chemicals

There is no rip section.

And if a member dies, we don't always get the news, or what was the cause.

This thread does give an idea of what can go wrong.

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...imple-question-and-get-a-simple-answer.21412/Good hygiene and safe practices can prevent a lot of grief.

Wow yeah I read that whole thread. I never had the illusion I would get rich or that it was ever worth setting this up just to refine a small batch. For me I got those ideas out of my head real quick. To me, it is worth putting in the effort to get it set up because I simply want to be able to stack metals regardless of cost to pass to my kids and grandkids if im lucky, and I like the idea of scrapping to get it rather than paying for something clean, like a premium on sovereign coins. I love chemistry and I always have. To me it feels like alchemy and that knowledge is something worth more than money. I want to get into jewelry making too. For all those reasons it is well worth taking painstaking efforts to be safe. I dont think I'll mess with PGMs or even shoot for 24k if i dont have to. Thank you all for the wisdom and knowledge.

Thats a bit harsh imo.
He possibly has a chance to get sick from this. There is also a good chance he won't.

No need to drain his life savings with expensive therapy if he coughes up the rest in time. It's our natural filter. Slime produced in the lungs.

Prevention is best though. Prepare for the task ahead and asses the risks before you start. Take measures. Stay alive.

Have fun.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Yes, much to their disdain, I am alive and well, had some extra congestion-mild for about 48hrs. I'm somewhat a health nut anyway and always a fan of antioxidants. I use to smoke cigarettes heavily, quit that 20 years ago, done lots of stupid welding without proper ventilation. auto repair in a sealed garage because its cold outside, well.....hahaha, the human body is truly amazing if you give it the chance and proper environment. Here is my wisdom for you, my bible so to speak, https://www.cavalierhousebooks.com/...e source for,to achieve and maintain wellness.

He probably died due to prolonged exposure of PGM salts.
But the lesson was that he was a trained chemist working in a professional lab, and even that went bad.
Well, if that is the case, no one here gets out of this story alive, I've done many jobs exposing me to health hazards, and typically no matter diligent care given, the risk is rarely reduced to zero, so its become merely a question of what do I enjoy doing enough thats worth dying for!!

We used all manner of organic dyes and biological stains in our lab in the hospital. No matter how much airflow we had, some of the dust ALWAYS found its way up the nose. You'd have various colors of boogers afterward...

One of the worst culprits was bromphenol blue, which was basically dust-sized particles that jumped all over the place and floated around in the static-filled, super-dry lab air. It went EVERYWHERE. You wouldn't see it until you got it wet, then dark blue dots appeared all over the place: benchtops, lab coats, clothes, hands, face... and of course up the nose.
Ah, just read your post after leaving the above comment....FACTS!

I compare Refining with a very poisoning Snake
If You Don’t know how to handle
it will bite You .

A Good Friend of mine ,He was using Chlorine to dissolve gold and by a very little mistake
He almost Die .

So For me NO Chlorine use for dissolving
gold!!.

Every time when I see a new Member
saying that they will take refining like a Hobby
Men i get scare
because this very serious business

Not a game ,it have to take lot of discipline
and lot of safety knowledge

in Youtube video it’s appears easy
but it si Not easy at all.

and i don’t play with Pd either.
is a No No for me
because i don’t know how to
so i don’t try it.

i let Pd refining to the Pro.
Yeah one time when I was young, thought it looked cool to mix chlorine and ammonia together, woke up on the floor. I also tattoo, so playing in peoples blood to create art exposes you to just about every pathogen known to human kind. Education is key and quite often the dangers are not highlighted like you think they would be. I started this adventure I kept finding small little red things on some of the best ore, peeled them off looking at them in my hand through eye loop, thinking they were some kinda ruby that never completely formed or something............then a few weeks later while researching..........HELLO CINNABAR!!

Attachments

• Cinnabar.jpeg
    Cinnabar.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back