Wet ashing discussion

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acidrain

Supporting Member
First off, I know this subject is taboo. However, I am new and curious. No, I do not plan on performing this type of digestion, I'd just like to spark some discussion about why it's taboo and the dangers/ecological impacts associated with it.
So my hypothesis is that it's because of the inherent dangers of hot sulphuric acid and more so, the toxic waste product produced by digesting the resins plus heavy metals.
With our "normal" acidic waste, we can cement the metals out and then neutralize the acids rendering the waste more or less harmless.
I don't believe this would be possible in the case of wet ashing with sulphuric acid.
Would some of you highly experienced refiners/chemists chime in on this topic?

First off, I know this subject is taboo. However, I am new and curious. No, I do not plan on performing this type of digestion, I'd just like to spark some discussion about why it's taboo and the dangers/ecological impacts associated with it.
So my hypothesis is that it's because of the inherent dangers of hot sulphuric acid and more so, the toxic waste product produced by digesting the resins plus heavy metals.
With our "normal" acidic waste, we can cement the metals out and then neutralize the acids rendering the waste more or less harmless.
I don't believe this would be possible in the case of wet ashing with sulphuric acid.
Hi,

You can read on this subject if you use the search function, it has been discussed many many times, with views from all angles.
It is not tabu, it is just very dangerous for human health, hot sulfuric acid will eat you alive if something goes wrong, that is why most if not all the members of this forum who understand the impact of this method to life are againt the use of it.
Read all the threads which discuss this method, youtube is not your friend when it comes to using and handling hot sulfuric acid.

Be safe

Pete

Pete's correct, it's not taboo, it's just ridiculously dangerous if it's not done properly with both the proper equipment and the right safety protocols and procedures. Personally I've never attempted it because I don't see a need for it.

To add to the discussion.
Just think about concentrated Sulfuric at room temperature, an aggressive hydrophilic solvent for organic matter.
It practically rips the water out of thin air.
Then heat it to three times the boiling temperature of water.
It is an accident waiting to happen, and as Jon says, there is no practical need for it in refining that can't be done in better ways.

Back