What electric hot plates to buy for in side of fume hood I'm building

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4metals said:
If there is one thing I could do over in my refining life it would be to recover the money I spent on short lived "high end" hot plates. Chris is right, these are the best.
image.jpeg

I know the catch trays are not pyrocream but most clients just go to a local store and get casserole dishes. They do not have the patience to do the yard sale for old pyrocream casseroles.

Hi 4metals

That is an awesome set up you have there .

goldsilverpro said:
I would wager that, over the years, I've tried about 20 different non-pyroceram casserole dishes. Some were Corning Ware. In every case I can remember, the dishes eventually cracked and broke, usually at a very inopportune time. I suppose you could get some life out of them but I would think you would have to baby them. I would always be worring about them breaking and could never fully trust them. With the pyroceram, you don't worry about it. You can abuse them and they still keep on ticking. You can buy a brand new 5 liter pyroceram dish for $42 and a lid for $6. Cheap insurance, as far as I'm concerned. About 5 years ago, I bought 4 ea, 5 liter dishes from the following company and had zero problems. I think they are the only CW distributor for pyroceram.

http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corningware-stovetop/

This is there price In Australia crazy the price difference I guess that's what you get for living in the middle of nowhere lol .
If there is one thing I have learned from you guys is use the right equipment.

Kind regards
Mitch

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 253
Yes, eBay is no longer the second hand store it once was. It's mostly a small business playground now.
You'll be better off trying your luck in op-shops and garage sales wherever possible.

jason_recliner said:
Yes, eBay is no longer the second hand store it once was. It's mostly a small business playground now.
You'll be better off trying your luck in op-shops and garage sales wherever possible.

Hi Jason
You are right it is . I looked on gumtree and what do you know I got a 5L for $8
A baking dish for $20

So I'm really happy about that . The baking dish is a blue patten and I think going by that thread in Corning wear it's about a 60's dish but I'll put up photos as I'm no expert and I'm sure someone on here would know

Kind regards
Mitch

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    907.2 KB · Views: 237
  • image.png
    image.png
    272.6 KB · Views: 237
The baking dish you have shown is later than 60s, i cant read the printing on the first picture, but id bet its 70-74(72 thwy switched to a series, but alot of their baking pans [i.e. lasagna pans or brownie cake pans] stayed alive a little bit longer.

Visions is good in the kitchen, but in the lab i dont really trust it.

I tried a knockoff "corning pyro" which was actually a crap fake (easy to tell by the opacity of the dish... corning pyroceram is a beautiful white, the fakes look like they are sickly and don't have the right coloring) I used it for about 5 minutes, on the lowest heat setting on my dual range (like palladium posted, but "farberware" not ge) and it shattered, which made my evap pyrex shatter, and my copperas solution go all into my catch pan...not a fun experience

Only pyroceram ive ever had break (2 of them) was when i was incinerating with my torch and my stupid self scratched the bottom while trying to break up the syrupy mess that formed when the acids were breaking down. I scratched wayy too hard and it fought back, with vengeance. The other was a small one where I melted some gold in it, then sprayed a bit of water on it... It did fine the first 3 times, the 4th it gave in.

I was serious on my offer, if you, or any grf member wants some pyroceram, i will give it to you (yes *give*...only exception is if shipping is 1 million dollars, i may need a little compensation lol)

I love the stuff, it has replaced everything in my kitchen, and in my lab there will never be another knockoff. Its not worth the frustration of failure to save a few bucks in the short run.

As gsp stated earlier, any *NEW* corningware will be marked stovetop on the bottom, if it isnt. Do not use it!..even then, i dont really trust is, as it is a different formula of pyroceram. Not much different, but different none the less, it allows it to be thinner.
I will check my emails and see exact differences (ive been talking to Shane about pyroceram composition over the years, for the next update to my corning thread)
ANY "corning" that doesnt have a smooth bottom is crap stoneware
Any corning that has chips, will fail eventually (good pyroceram can withstand [around] a 900+ degree c temp variance and hold up fine.
If there are gray marks on it, that isnt a crack or scratch, it is a metallic deposit from someone leaving their utensils on it. (the pyroceram is harder than the metal) -those can be cleaned with barkeepers friend or bon ami -both of those are also good for labglass (the best)

Think i covered all i wanted to say.. Anyways, corning pyroceram is second to none. Dont mess with the rest.

I have one pyroceram that I use to incinerate and as a double boiler of sorts with sand in the bottom of it. I don't have a hotplate yet for outside. Only hotplate I have is a coil type and don't know if that would work or not. I've been using a coleman camp stove to do my heating, etc on seems to work ok as long as I don't go too wild with it. But that being said I wouldn't mind having a second one larger than what I have. I think mine is a 1L casserole.

Rusty

I've owned a few pieces of CW Vision Ware and it worked as well as the white pyroceram. I just didn't like the odball shapes that the Vision Ware came in.

Rusty, your coil hotplate will work fine with corningware pyroceram.

Gsp, yes visions is an excellent brand of corning. My only issue with it is that it csn get scratches much easier than pyroceram (so it seems) and after they have a few hard scuffs and scratches they cannot withstand the thermal shock nearly as well. There are quite a few review sites where people were cooking at home with their visions dishes and then experienced a loud pop and it shattered into a million little fragments.
While i have never had that happen with any of mine (i have about 6 or 7 visions pieces that i cook with) i dont think i would want to. I still use them in my house regardless of the "testimonials" on the review sites, but, like you, i find their shapes quite odd to fit in my workstation setup.

For what its worth... My pyroceram is 10000 times easier to clean up than visions too (even the ones that are flat and dont have the strange waffle pattern) it seems all the pyroceram needs its a bit of hot water and a sponge. Sometimes a little powder cleaner, but, more often than not, my visions need a lot of hot water soaking, and a lot of scrubbing. But, they are still great pieces.

Somewhere online i saw a picture of a visions pot that had an aluminum pan melting in it. It was pretty cool. I will try to find it again to share.

my visions need a lot of hot water soaking, and a lot of scrubbing.

Try letting it soak with one of those fabric type clothes softener (the little rag type). It really speeds up the loosening of food in glass ware cooking untinsels, unless it really baked dry, even then they still help quite a bit.

Notice at 1:18 what type of vessel it is she's dipping sand out of ! :twisted:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyhdMa1ikKM[/youtube]

I have spent about 3 hours reading up on Corning wear and it is truely amazing what applications it has been used for :shock:
I don't think that there is any substitute for it and for the rest of my life I will only use it and recommend for fellow grf members.

It is a shame that they stopped making it . It's all ways the way when something is to good

Yes, when corning sold their product consumer division to world kitchen, it ruined everything. But, there was enough people that complained so eventually they brought "stove top use" back in to play. Just be very cautious of the bottom, how it feels and what it says.

The odd thing (to me anyways) is that they only make the pyroceram in their factory in France (where they initially produced Visions full scale, and where they make their ArcoFlam) the factories here, only make stoneware. So they have to ship over every piece of pyroceram, which undoubtedly increases the price.
...oh, to be victim of one's own success.

But, yes, Corning is/was incredible... Lightbulbs for Edison, pyrex for the world, heat diffusers for the shuttle, nosecones for missles, fiber optic cables, astronauts glass faceshields, crt tvs....lcd tvs.... And now they are making things for the biomedical field... Not to mention the dozens of other things they have contributed that i have forgotten... Oh yeah, and pyroceram

I am quite the fan of corning. If you cannot tell :twisted:

Topher_osAUrus said:
Yes, when corning sold their product consumer division to world kitchen, it ruined everything. But, there was enough people that complained so eventually they brought "stove top use" back in to play. Just be very cautious of the bottom, how it feels and what it says.

The odd thing (to me anyways) is that they only make the pyroceram in their factory in France (where they initially produced Visions full scale, and where they make their ArcoFlam) the factories here, only make stoneware. So they have to ship over every piece of pyroceram, which undoubtedly increases the price.
...oh, to be victim of one's own success.

But, yes, Corning is/was incredible... Lightbulbs for Edison, pyrex for the world, heat diffusers for the shuttle, nosecones for missles, fiber optic cables, astronauts glass faceshields, crt tvs....lcd tvs.... And now they are making things for the biomedical field... Not to mention the dozens of other things they have contributed that i have forgotten... Oh yeah, and pyroceram

I am quite the fan of corning. If you cannot tell :twisted:

It actually cost less to ship a 20' to 53' container around the world then you might think. Especially if you ship enough of them.

Hi
I want to buy a cheap hotplate
how many degrees need for refining ?
For example silver refining.

If I could only get back all of the money I have wasted over the years buying hot plates from science suppliers. With the possible exception of stirring hot plates, which I prefer for dissolving salts, just heating for refining I use a kitchen grilling hot plate made for pancakes.

griddle.jpg

They're inexpensive and last just as long as the costly Corning or other scientific hotplates I have used. Here in the US they cost under $20. I use them for parting in fire assays and digestions in beakers. Now if I could only figure out how to get one to spin a magnetic stir bar that would be a home run.

Hi
Thanks
I don't think I can find this here. Today I go shop and see some hotplates. I must buy a hot plate from science suppliers.
If we need 60 centigrade or lower I can buy a cheap heater and if we need higher temperature I must buy a hotplate from lab shop

saadat68 said:
I don't think I can find this here.
Saadat, one of the reasons we encourage members to include a location in their profile is that it allows other members to provide advice that is more helpful. You say you can't find an electric griddle like 4metals showed where you are, but your location only says you are on Earth. :roll: If you put a country in your location, those from your country or countries near you might be able to suggest where you might find what you're looking for.

Dave

Hi FrugalRefiner
Thanks for your suggestion

4metals said:
Don't they eat pancakes in Iran?

If it can boil water that is more than enough.

Here we use gas.Natural gas is very cheaper and about pancakes, No we don't eat pancakes!
I found a hotplate like yours in a Iranian online shop but it is 200$ :shock:
I think a laboratory hotplate is best choice and today I will buy one

I buy a 1500 W hotplate like this. But another brand
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kampa-Single-Electric-Hob/dp/B0029W4FB2

It has 6 degrees for temperature. 1 is lowest and 6 is highest.
It boils water with 5 degree in 5 minutes. I buy it for 20$

Back